The London Olympic Stadium

Rob2012

They are a little utilitarian aren't they? :mellow:

I remember DaJoLe saying a while back that one of the reasons the box shape won out was because they're more economical in terms of space. That's going to be one very busy island during the Games and filling it up with lots of little round pods was probably not the best choice.

I'm sure cost was a reason as well, of course.

And Rols is right about the banners. They've got to look good during the Games. They could start looking a little tatty and dirty if they go up too soon.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really couldn't care less about them being economical, those pods just looked wonderful and really added to the stadium. It was one of the things I was most looking forward to. If there is not enough space then they should have made room for more elsewhere. These boxes just look awful and are the final nail in the coffin for me. Such a dissappointment, and to think that nobody at LOCOG had the balls to announce anything sooner.

Ive changed my name out of respect. RIP the pods.

I have to agree Lee, they arnt short of space in the park, they were fun and could have been a design that they sold around the world if done well. They could have bought a sense of fun to parks all over the world.

Come now.....the wrap is coming and that will be something potentially exciting...at least I hope. I love everything about London but I've been waiting for years for EXCITING VISUAL STIMULUSSSSSS!!!!! Come on LONDON! BRING IT ON...it's getting late. I hope all the logo haters didn't scare them from being creative.

I have very little faith in the food offering now that I have seen what a mess they have made of the food stalls.

"Heeaa you go, my English frrriend, zere's a nice little Brrratwörst in a verrry drrry bun for you. Mustaaad costs extrra."

"Five-days-old remains of Sunday roast!!! Five-days-old remains of Sunday roast!!!"

"Anyone fancy some haggis?"

Sorry, but your statement made my fantasy spin. ;)

hose pods look ugly as f*ck. It might be easier to design something with right angles than curves, but the last vestiges of visual sparkle have slipped away now. They look like the kind of depot-buildings you get in an industrial park.

So, we have a mundane and aesthetically boring stadium. The whole ' it looks the way it does because it's going to be down sized after the games' argument has kinda subsidised to it's hard to defend the stadium now.It's basically a sh*itty £500MILLION looking stadium that looks temporary but after the games won't be downsized thus the it's architecture represents something different to what its life will inevitable become. Just strange.

The wrap basically consists of some ugly white bunting with some colour on the inside, juxtaposed beside an awful looking aquatics centre with compromised sightlines, juxtaposed further with a jumbled red-mess called the Orbit. Just Wonderful.

Welcome to London peepz.

The wrap is gonna be brilliant, If they had dumped that as well I may have been suicidal

Yes, a shame it now has to be associated with a controversial sponsor (thanks Coalition!) as the danger is whoever is approached might not want to be associated with the bad press. Here's hoping they're made of stern stuff...

I guess things get compromised when you have to deal with a Coalition intent on cutting budgets?

Coalition governments will lead to compromises in general terms.True. But most of the issues I feel are issues concerning London 2012 were things that happened before the coalition came to power.And many of my pet peeves concern aesthetic/design issues which I accept are 'subjective'.

The wrap is an issue. And the coalition trying to cut it out completely was obvious 'compromising' for the sake of saving money. But my issue is with the actual look of the wrap. I simply do not like the triangular bunting style and much preferred the original design that HOK sports proposed.But self appointed purveyors of all that is right with design -- CABE-- didn't approve. Also, I believe it will be white with some colour on the inside which to me just looks so bland. The stadium is mostly white, so too is the aquatics centre, the waterpolo venue is grey mainly, the basketball arena is white. It's just a plethora of blandness in my opinion. White can look good -- take Athens and the Calatrava designed stuff for example. But then the glowing Mediterranean sun heightened all their architecture.

I like the Stadium. I do. I don't like the Zebra seating pattern though. But my liking of the stadium was because I knew the architecture was well done in relation to the purpose i.e a temporary Olympic stadium. Now that the stadium will no longer be temporary (and it won't) the stadium just appears underwhelming. And in our global age, making an impact is important hence why so much value is placed on the aesthetic function of things.

Yes, a shame it now has to be associated with a controversial sponsor (thanks Coalition!) as the danger is whoever is approached might not want to be associated with the bad press. Here's hoping they're made of stern stuff...

LOCOG said they had many competitive bids for the wrap. Solely blaming the coalition for the Dow mess is a bit of a cop-out isn't it? Had any other company been chosen the move would have been seen as a nice saving and a good decision.

The fact that some campaigners didn't make a noise when Dow signed their huge deal with the IOC but are outraged with this deal with LOCOG is odd though.

The wrap design hasnt been unveiled, no-one can comment on the design we havent yet seen surely.

Hence why I prefaced my opinion with "I believe it will be". From the renders on the Dow site and from the trial pieces on the actual stadium, it appears the wrap will be white. But on the insides it will have colour matching the rainbow like concept of the glass.

I think the test pieces were purely a test to see how the fabric would work. I have total faith that the wrap will be the icing on the cake and will hopefully divert the attention away from those god awful boxes scattered around it.

Actually Im doing what I hate others doing on forums. Im commenting on those boxes and I havent even seen details of them yet so I will stop til I see the reality or some details of them. I went to Boxpark in `Shorditch at the weekend which is made up of shipping containers and it had a really nice feel about it. I do feel like its a massive missed opportunity but lets get some details first.

They are a little utilitarian aren't they? :mellow:

I remember DaJoLe saying a while back that one of the reasons the box shape won out was because they're more economical in terms of space. That's going to be one very busy island during the Games and filling it up with lots of little round pods was probably not the best choice.

I'm sure cost was a reason as well, of course.

And Rols is right about the banners. They've got to look good during the Games. They could start looking a little tatty and dirty if they go up too soon.

Rob - i mean banners and flags for events like 6 months to go - 100 days to go etc. there is one set of olympic rings at st pancras and that's it - oh and the olympic and paralympic flag at city hall! no signage or anything when you arrive in London - maybe I am expecting too much! lol!

As you enter Essex heading out of London towards Southend theres the pictogram for the Mountain biking on a sign with the words host borough or something, its not much I suppose but its something. I think the Tower Bridge rings are due in march arnt they. Should be up for the Jubillee celebrations and the Thames floatilla

I must admit to be surprised that when I was in London at Christmas I didn't see a single Olympic advertisement on the Underground. I thought they would have been all over the underground at this stage with trains decked out in Olympic colours. Perhaps I was also hoping for too much.

I have a feeling that all of this will change soon enough but I just expected more effort further out from the start fo the games. Walking through Stratford you have absolutely no idea that the games are even coming. That is shocking.

Re: dressing the city, some of you were asking on the previous page, here's a quote from the article about the kiosks that will be going up around the place:

The "dressing" of the capital in Olympic colours will not happen until mid-summer to avoid a clash with the Queen's Jubilee.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-olympics/article-24033853-whats-purple-all-over-its-a-2012-borispod.do

• 2 weeks later...

Archived