The London Olympic Stadium

Rob2012

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I’d taken a snap shot of the wrapped part of the stadium, I’m not sure it will sit well with the orbit tower. The orbit tower it looking amazing, you have to see it with your own eyes to experience the sense of three dimensional depth perspective and scale,

As for the Bridge I mentioned I have to say I was pleased to see it, as I was starting to think we may have to get the army in to build bridges next year. Further down the lee valley I still wouldn’t rule that out.

http://www.flickr.co...ith/6187248462/

Tottenham given 24 hours to accept Mayor's offer and drop Olympic Stadium objection

September 29 - Tottenham Hotspur have been given a deadline of until tomorrow to accept an £8.5 million ($13.5 million/€10 million) offer of help from London Mayor Boris Johnson to build a new stadium and drop their complaint over the Olympic Stadium being given to West Ham United or risk it being taken off the table.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2012/14410-exclusive-tottenham-given-24-hours-to-accept-mayors-offer-and-drop-olympic-stadium-objection

I think the greenery and trees is all the wrap the stadium needs.

I completely disagree. For me that photo just screams at me how undressed the stadium looks. It desperately needs the wrap. It does look half finished without it.

Poor TBF, he must feel under seige on this forum half the time! He loves the Orbit and hates the idea of wrap, whilst most here - to varying degrees - are of the opposite opinion. :lol:

Stick to your guns TBF. You obviously know your own opinion.

Olympic+stadium+drawing.jpg

aiu_tntn.jpg

Olympic_Stadium_Wrap_110216.jpg

While I never liked the original idea of sport images around the stadium, the "twisting strips" of textile have never felt substantial or right either. I've not seem any wrap idea that seemed architectural or visually meaningful. I like the stadium frame, particularly the lighting towers, but there is a big idea missing around the exterior. I wish something creative would happen to catch the imagination of the event, it is necessary in a temporary structure to not take things so seriously but to let imagination soar.

London unveils hi-tech running track for Olympic Games

The hi-tech track on which Olympic medals will be won next summer was launched on Monday with a promise that it will provide both sprinters and long-distance runners with their best chance of breaking records.

Lord Coe, the London 2012 chairman, who had spent the morning addressing inspectors from the International Association of Athletics Federations in a bid to secure the 2017 world athletics championships for the £486m Olympic Stadium, said the unveiling of the red track marked a "huge milestone".

With the sun streaming down on the stadium, which remains the subject of a bitter legal battle over its use after the Games, British competitors including 1500m world silver medallist Hannah England and Paralympic gold medallist Dan Greaves were the first athletes to set foot on the track.

Coe, who also tested the surface, said it felt "lovely" and reminded him of the track in Zurich, where he once broke the 1500m world record.

The surface, manufactured by Italian company Mondo, took 75 days to install. The company's project manager, Joe Hoekstra, said the vulcanised rubber had been brought from Italy in 15m rolls and "laid out like a jigsaw puzzle to make sure the joints are invisible". He said it had been designed to give "maximum energy return for the athlete".

Hoekstra said that the surface had been designed to be both soft and springy for long-distance runners as well as providing enough impact for sprinters. "The material is laid in the direction of the runners and that is specifically for the sprinters."

Mondo is also responsible for laying a 400m warm-up track outside the stadium and an 80m sprinting warm-up track beneath the undercroft of one of the main stands.

"Since the other Olympic tracks we have done we have tried to make it softer and faster. Long-distance runners and those who didn't break world records were always complaining that Mondo was hard. We've really tried to address that concern. We are very confident we will see some excellent performances," said Hoekstra.

James Bulley, the director of venues and infrastructure the for London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (Locog), said organisers had flirted with various different colour schemes for the track, including blue and black, but had decided to stick with the traditional red because it worked best for broadcasters and tied in with the rest of the stadium colour scheme.

Olympic-running-track-007.jpg

Lord Coe and British athlete Hannah England on the new London 2012 Olympics running track in the Olympic Stadium

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/oct/03/london-unveils-olympic-track?newsfeed=true

/\/\/\/\

I don't know what grade of hardness this athletics track has, but I find it hard to believe how it can benefit distance runners just as much as sprinters. By definition, the harder the track, the better it is for sprinters since there's less rebound. And by definition, if it is a really hard track, it can affect distance runners adversely since their legs take a hard pounding from the track with less energy absorption from the rubber.

From the BBC news website:

London 2012 Olympic stadium athletics track completed

The athletics track at the London 2012 Olympic stadium has been completed.

The track is made of synthetic rubber and has been designed to help athletes run fast times. Five world records were set on a similar surface in Beijing.

London 2012 chairman Lord Coe said: "Today marks a huge milestone for the project as the stadium comes to life."

Long jumper Chris Tomlinson, 1,500m runner Hannah England and Paralympic discus thrower Dan Greaves were the first athletes to test out the track.

They were joined on the new surface by local schoolchildren, who will benefit from the Stadium's legacy plan to be a venue for sport, athletics, community and cultural events.

The 80,000-capacity stadium is nearing completion with the latest anticipated final cost of the work being £486m.

The stadium will host the opening and closing ceremonies of both the Olympic and Paralympic Games, as well as all the track and field events.

An 80m sprint straight made of the same material as the main track has been laid under one of the main stands and a 400m training track will be laid shortly.

The track will be covered to protect it from the elements while other work continues at the Stadium.

"People can get a glimpse of how it will look in less than 10 months' time when we welcome the world's athletes to London," Coe added.

"There is still a lot of work to do on the stadium but seeing some of our top British athletes on the track with local schoolchildren really underlines the stadium's potential for 2012 and beyond."

Hugh Robertson, Minister for Sport and the Olympics, said: "This is another piece in the jigsaw for our Olympic Stadium."

Olympic Delivery Authority chairman John Armitt added: "Watching athletes and children run around the Olympic Stadium's track 10 months before the London 2012 Games highlights just how much has been achieved over the last four years."

Link includes video:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/london_2012/15149865.stm

West Ham Olympic deal collapses

BBC News 11th October 2011

The deal to award West Ham football club the Olympic Stadium after the London 2012 Games has collapsed, the BBC learns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/news/uk-15251893

It's only the stupid IOC that wants these dinosaur stadia so that cheats can come back and try to claim victory. It's (especially T&F) really become a farce. No wonder I always hated those sweaty sports. Something really shady and sinister.

They should really consider dropping T&F like boxing, wrestling and modern pentathlon. Outdated and drug-ridden sports.

West Ham Olympic deal collapses

BBC News 11th October 2011

The deal to award West Ham football club the Olympic Stadium after the London 2012 Games has collapsed, the BBC learns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/news/uk-15251893

Since I was shocked at first, one should mention that they want to shift to a leasing concept where a team can lease the stadium for an annual rent. And West Ham could still be the team which will move into Olympic Stadium -- since that leasing concept offers a significantly lower financial risk for them. Apparently, the new concept is a reaction to the legal challenges from Tottenham and Leyton Orient.

How about we take the temporary stands down and go back to Plan A, rather than trying to squish a football club in here?

Why on earth would they kill the deal now - a week before the court case? Either West Ham aren't good for their promises or have changed their mind about owning the stadium, or those involved believe there is a very real possibility of the Judicial Review being lost next week or a European Case (led by Leyton Orient) dragging on for years. Either way, it raises huge questions about the process.

As I said, let's go back to Plan A.

Archived