The London Olympic Stadium

Rob2012

I seem to remember a time when the rainbow affect was created by coloured lights that could then change and create patterns at will. There was a video, I think of it, and it looks incredible. Is that still the plan or has it been droppen in favour of the simple fabric wrap?

I'm guessing they will want some colour in the wrap for daytime, however I'm hoping that we get some sort of light or pattern animation when it gets dark (of course, it all depends on how subtle the level of the sponsor's brand will be?)

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great Britain's track and field team will not be allowed to attend the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics.

The London Games will open on Friday, 27 July, a week before the athletics event begins on 3 August.

UK Athletics head coach Charles van Commenee said: "It doesn't fit in the professional preparation for the biggest event of your life.

"In the end we are all aware that performance is number one. They can do the closing ceremonies."

The Dutchman believes that if athletes were forced to stand for long periods during the ceremony it may be detrimental to their chances of success, while some will still be at training camps at the time of the curtain raiser.

"They would not go shopping for eight hours before their biggest event so why would you be on your feet for that long?" he added.

"There will be a few at that time coming back from altitude and who will be based in Loughborough but you will not see track and field athletes on the 27th July in London."

Great Britain's track and field team will not be allowed to attend the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics.

The London Games will open on Friday, 27 July, a week before the athletics event begins on 3 August.

UK Athletics head coach Charles van Commenee said: "It doesn't fit in the professional preparation for the biggest event of your life.

"In the end we are all aware that performance is number one. They can do the closing ceremonies."

The Dutchman believes that if athletes were forced to stand for long periods during the ceremony it may be detrimental to their chances of success, while some will still be at training camps at the time of the curtain raiser.

"They would not go shopping for eight hours before their biggest event so why would you be on your feet for that long?" he added.

"There will be a few at that time coming back from altitude and who will be based in Loughborough but you will not see track and field athletes on the 27th July in London."

What a dumb coach. He should know that as the host team, the UK will be entering last anyway, so his kids will probably stand just 45 mins or so. And if I were marching in anyway, I would jist sit on the ground if I got tired. That coach should be fired.

What a dumb coach. He should know that as the host team, the UK will be entering last anyway, so his kids will probably stand just 45 mins or so. And if I were marching in anyway, I would jist sit on the ground if I got tired. That coach should be fired.

We should be happy, M. Anything that makes the march of nations shorter is ok by me!

We should be happy, M. Anything that makes the march of nations shorter is ok by me!

I thought of that...but really, another 150 bodies at the end shouldn't really matter. It's mainly that PLUS the endless U.S. athletes, many of whom should just sit the parade out! Oh well...

BTW, with all the rock/popular names supposedly being lined up to "perform" at the OC, it looks like it's just going to be one bloody 'rock concert.' Is that a dish to set before the Queen?

Its more east london than south...I live in stratford close to the olimpic stadium its south east I would say but more east...westfild is in stratford, the olympic village my be there aswell

oddest post of the year goes to.....

Yep, from the inside it's as good as any Olympic Stadium I've seen. From the outside it looks temporary, but well, it was intented to be wasn't it?

Looking forward to all those seat covers coming off so we can see the crazy seating pattern properly. And of course the question of the colour of the track remains to be answered. DarJoLe was saying over on SSC, interestingly, that the track is LOCOG's responsibility, not the ODA's. It's classed, like the wrap, as part of the venue overlay not part of the venue construction.

I think I prefer it just blue. I cannot see the attraction of orange. It just doesn't look pleasing to my eye and a rather boring colour to use. I much prefer green and blue tracks.

Rob, I think this may call for a Harry Hill "fight". :D

Archived