Paris could enter 2020 race

Rafa

Well, if Paris has 2024 on its mind, Parisian Olympic enthusiasts should be hoping for Munich to clench 2018. Annecy 2018 would quash their bid and Pyeongchang 2018 would make an easier allowance for a European Summer Games in 2020.

I think the news that Japan is looking unlikely for 2020 is a big factor here and may force Paris' hand if there is still interest from the French city. If Africa's bid isn't seen as solid enough (which is a possibility, though I don't know how big a possibility), Paris not bidding would be virtually handing 2020 to another European city.

I think the news that Japan is looking unlikely for 2020 is a big factor here and may force Paris' hand if there is still interest from the French city. If Africa's bid isn't seen as solid enough (which is a possibility, though I don't know how big a possibility), Paris not bidding would be virtually handing 2020 to another European city.

They cannot even risk 2020 going to another EU city, they will have to bid even if Durban looks sturdy.

Anyway 2020 at this point will go 90% to a EU city, may be Paris, Rome or Istanbul most likely (the latter my favourite). I do not see Durban get the games.

btw, having 5 IOC members doesn't necessarily translates into more decisional power.

Of course not. But they could be "influentual", which is a totally different element. That's what anyone or anything vying for votes try to do anyway. And the more lobbying you have, the better your chances at success.

From the beginning there were questions about the seriousness of Annecy's bid. It would be inappropriate to make too much noise about Paris 2020 at this point because it would cast too much of a shadow over the present bid. So the fact that we haven't heard anything doesn't really signal anything one way or another. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Paris bid, though at this reason there's no reason to expect a bid either. Rome is clearly hot to trot and ready to take on all comers.

Archived