Paris could enter 2020 race

Rafa

French sports minister Chantal Jouanno believes France had learned from the failure of Paris' bid for the 2012 Summer Games, saying "we were too proud and too sure that we were going to win". She hinted that if Annecy loses, a French city would bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics, reports The Associated Press.Jouanno said, "nothing is granted today. If we win the Games we won't bid. If we don't, probably. It's been too long that France has not organized the Games".

Interesting comments. I wouldn't rule it out. Based on what Sarkozy has said about Annecy, it almost seems as if he acknowledges that Annecy is a long shot at best to overcome Pyeongchang and Munich. Would Paris give 2020 a go? Who knows? I suspect France may wait to see what South Africa does. If South Africa puts forth what looks like a serious candidate to win the 2020 Olympics, I would suspect Paris would wait until 2024 to give it another shot.

While the French NOC might be keen I wonder how keen Paris, the city, would be. I don't think it wants to go through all of it again.

That said, a Paris bid turns the race around, weakens the new frontier argument.

I think it would be a good move, because the probability of Rome 2020 winning - South Africa or not - is far from negligible and then that would be over for Paris for another 8 years, at least.

That being said, it will be a tough one to put together. They cannot be high profile on that before July 6 of course. And the deadline for the submission of the bids is September 1. So the bid would have to be prepared and approved right in the middle of Summer. And the proximity of the French presidential election would not help.

Of course they could bid with Marseilles or Lyon but I fear it could end up like Lille 2004.

A well known dilemma for a country to juggle between a Summer and a Winter bid...

You have to wonder though, such a statement from the French sports minister can't bode well for Annecy. Especially only just 4-1/2 months away from the 2018 vote. I mean it makes it seem like the French NOC isn't 100% behind the winter bid & only make a voting IOC member ponder in the back of their mind 'what if Paris wants to bid'.

And it would have to be Paris. Anything less would be futile (see Lille, Seville, Leipzig, Birmingham & Manchester). And if Paris is even slightly toying with the idea, they'd have to jump into 2020 with Rome in the picture. Cause if Paris doesn't bother & Rome gets it, the French capital will have to wait it out once again 'til the next European rotation.

Annecy already lost 2018

Paris 2020 would be a calculated bet: I think the French are starting to fear that a european city (Rome or Istanbul) would win 2020, putting a very high weight on any european city bid for 2024

So yes, as long as asians and sudafricans bids looks weak (as it is now) they may choose to join the race, making it much more interesting. I think the chances of Rome would diminuish significantly as I don't think the IOC can choose again another EU city over Paris

I don't think the IOC can choose again another EU city over Paris

I could not disagree more. There is nothing automatic in what the IOC does. And I can very well imagine them choosing Rome or Madrid over Paris.

French sports minister Chantal Jouanno believes France had learned from the failure of Paris' bid for the 2012 Summer Games, saying "we were too proud and too sure that we were going to win".

Perhaps she's correct in terms of behind the scenes lobbying, I don't know. But I really don't think, final presentation aside, France did much wrong in the 2012 race. They were very careful not to come across as arrogant, worked out a superb technical bid and were rightly favourites for a long time. In a way, that bid reminds me very much of England 2018's failure (though England got the final presentation right, Paris didn't). Both superb bids leading the field technically, both not trying to come across as arrogant after previous failed bids (Paris' 2008 bid and England's 2006 world cup bid are also spookily similar) but both finding out, ultimately, it wasn't their time.

I'm convinced (so long as FIFA cleans itself up) that if England were to put the same bid forward again without a glitzy new frontier as an opponenet it'd have a great chance. Same point goes for Paris' 2012 plan - though of course they'll have to find a new site for the village and work out a snazzier final presentation.

In other words, they really oughtn't be beating themselves up over the 2012 loss. Another bid won and it wasn't their time, it was as simple as that. Be great if they did enter the 2020 fold, it'd certainly spice things up! B)

I could not disagree more. There is nothing automatic in what the IOC does. And I can very well imagine them choosing Rome or Madrid over Paris.

Don't get me wrong...I am from Italy and I would prefer Rome to win 2020. However something tells me that the IOC will think twice before giving another round of beating to Paris, especially against its own continent (they could do that for SA and the new frontier perhaps)

Indeed this is why this could be a strategic bid. If they could have a French bid shortlisted, this could weaken the other European bids and put the 2020 Games in Asia or Africa.

This would be a very long term strategy to get the Games in France in 2024. Ideally, creating a bid which is strong enough to be shortlisted, but preferably not Paris, in order to protect Paris for 2024. Marseilles 2020 could be easier to create since the mayor if from the conservative majority like Sarkozy. I doubt the current mayor of Paris (Delanoe) would be eager to support a Paris 2020 bid. The question is : would Marseilles 2020 be shortlisted ?

But I still think that the right strategy for France is to have strong French members in the IOC. In the IOC Executive Board for instance. Vice Presidents positions. Italy has Mario Pescante. Germany has Thomas Bach. France has no equivalent in the IOC.

Indeed this is why this could be a strategic bid. If they could have a French bid shortlisted, this could weaken the other European bids and put the 2020 Games in Asia or Africa.

This would be a very long term strategy to get the Games in France in 2024. Ideally, creating a bid which is strong enough to be shortlisted, but preferably not Paris, in order to protect Paris for 2024. Marseilles 2020 could be easier to create since the mayor if from the conservative majority like Sarkozy. I doubt the current mayor of Paris (Delanoe) would be eager to support a Paris 2020 bid. The question is : would Marseilles 2020 be shortlisted ?

But I still think that the right strategy for France is to have strong French members in the IOC. In the IOC Executive Board for instance. Vice Presidents positions. Italy has Mario Pescante. Germany has Thomas Bach. France has no equivalent in the IOC.

Marseille would not weaken any european bid bc IF it would be listed it would be eliminated fairly soon in the voting process, much ahead of the likely showdown between a euro city (Rome, Madrid, Istanbul) and - likely - Durban

Only Paris can actually win or seriously damage other euro contenders in 2020. The only thing is that french pride forbids Parid to partecipate again without a nearly certainty of victory.

Obviously, the French NOC has already sent mixed signals around the world. They should just play out the 2018 race as if it were real; then better soundings would come after Durban 2011 -- and they can gauge their chances from there. They can still work to help deflate a Rome 2020 bid and line Paris up for 2024 in the meantime.

French sports minister Chantal Jouanno believes France had learned from the failure of Paris' bid for the 2012 Summer Games, saying "we were too proud and too sure that we were going to win". She hinted that if Annecy loses, a French city would bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics, reports The Associated Press.Jouanno said, "nothing is granted today. If we win the Games we won't bid. If we don't, probably. It's been too long that France has not organized the Games".

Paris won't bid to 2020 and for the moment french government want WOG with Annecy, and if you have the interview in totality, never Chantal Jouanno or something else think to have a bid to 2020...

If Annecy loose, there isn't bid to 2020... Maybe 2022 with Annecy if PC win or maybe 2024 with Paris... But for the moment, really the first priority for french government is Annecy and I think there are lot of surprises with Annecy in the next months...

For Marseille is an old buzz but not realistic

Once again, the exact quote is

Jouanno added France learned from the failure of Paris' bid to host the 2012 Summer Games, saying "we were too proud and too sure that we were going to win," and also hinted that if Annecy loses, a French city would bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics.

"Nothing is granted today," she said. "If we win the games we won't bid. If we don't, probably. It's been too long that France has not organized the games."

Not exactly what you say.

i dont think so France will give the games to Rome or Madrid if they really gonna bid for 2024...

they should make a strategy to divide the votes of europe and give the games out of main europe, or support another city. they have a great fluence in sub saharan africa. so they also can kick SA's chance too

as an conclusion Paris bid makes everyones chance down but Tokyo

I was more than happy to see London seal 2012, but nevertheless, I do feel a bit sorry for the Paris team. Afterall, they apparently advised by the IOC insiders to play it low-key and humble and avoid being seen as an "arrogant" and expectant front-runner, only to see London grab the underdog's mantle with both hands and zoom past them on momentum. It's easy enough to understand why they're cautious in decalaring their hand for another bid.

But a comment like the one above, right from the sports minister's mouth, does make the idea of a Paris bid seem pretty likely (though it's understandable the Annecy-dreamers won't like to hear that). IMO, assuming (as many of us do) that Annecy loses, Paris really HAS to bid if it doesn't wanna leave the field wide-open to Rome and be side-lined again for a decade or so. When it comes to Olympic bidding, you have to snatch your chances when you can get them - anyone who sits out a round in the expectations that if things go as they hope they have a stronger chance next time just leaves themselves open for being disappointingly blind-sided. And similarly, anyone who discounts Paris' chances for 2020 because a bid for 2024 seems more "'apropriate" would be foolhardy - it's hard to see Paris as anything but a very tough competitor, if not front-runner, in any bid race they would enter. Anyway, I'd think Paris' chancfes would be more impacted by a 2018 win for Munich or (naturally) Annecy than the notion they may face other Euro competitors for 2020 - it would just mean that the Euro bidders will be playing the second preferences game hard.

I'm hoping it happens - Paris would sure add some very interesting spice to the 2020 race.

Paris bid for the Games of 1992, 2008, and 2012 - the last one coming so close and stinging so much. If you think that French Olympophiles are drooling over Winter in Annecy when they could have Summer in Paris, I think you are in for a surprise.

I live in France and nobody speak about Paris 2020, and even if Annecy loose, PAris don't bid to 2020 because nothing is ready, september it's nearest to organize a bid... Maybe to 2024 but if french government live in the hope to host one day SoG never France win something. For the moment the best chance is Annecy, and even here nobody think annecy has a chance, I think you are crazy, Annecy is the best bid in 2018. Marke my Words ;)

Well Annecy is not the best bid for 2018, as Munich and PYC are ahead of it in technical terms. Even with the changes by Annecy, it struggles on paper when compared to Munich and PYC.

Should Annecy get a few votes? Sure, but 2020 presents a gap for Paris. The French NOC realize this and while the City of Paris might be sceptical, its theres for the taking.

And I can very well imagine them choosing Rome or Madrid over Paris.

I feel the opposite. I can very well imagine the French Noc and its entourage overcoming the Italians and btw, having 5 IOC members doesn't necessarily translates into more decisional power.

Archived