Ceremonies on UTube, Pt 2

baron-pierreIV

An amazing Ceremony for its time - in a way it is the Moscow of the Commonwealth Games. Clearly inspired Barcelona, and just as good (in quality) as Seoul and LA.

NZ has such a beautiful culture that translates well into stadium theatre- bloody annoyed really that the IOC's rigidness prevents it hosting the Winter Olympics, because it would really put on a world stopping show.

Great find, it's not the easiest ceremony to find online but we have bits and pieces of it.

What's amazing is that the yt piece is just one portion of the opening ceremony.

The show started with the Maori cultural performance, and following that portion we had the new world arrivals segment, a massed performance song, a land yacht and bungy jumper segment, and the official song.

What was also missing, between the Union Jack formation and the Kotuku white heron kite going up (which had the Treaty of Waitangi written on it), was a beautiful speech of welcome by Dame Whina Coooper.

I guess, just to go with that clip.

Here are the other couple that have been posted some time ago, abit more of the opening ceremony of Auckland 1990.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSFn1V2VrMA

Tukua Ahau by Sir Howard Morrison and cast

The final song after all of the cultural performances. It's a slow started, but revs up and is worth a watch from 3min mark. Also gives a good look at the reasonably impressive stage/choir area.

And a rip I just did of the Dame Whina Cooper welcome.

This runs in to the union Jack segment. The kite that goes up is of a Kotuku, a native White Heron (also shown at the end of the video). On the kite is the Treaty of Waitangi.

As a bit of background, the Kotuku is said by Maori to live in the spirit world.

Dame Whina Cooper, was a Maori rights activist.

I guess, just to go with that clip.

Here are the other couple that have been posted some time ago, abit more of the opening ceremony of Auckland 1990.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSFn1V2VrMA

Tukua Ahau by Sir Howard Morrison and cast

The final song after all of the cultural performances. It's a slow started, but revs up and is worth a watch from 3min mark. Also gives a good look at the reasonably impressive stage/choir area.

Must be NZ's Don Ho, huh?

And all those tribes ready to go to war, there is a "Star of David" flag....so one of NZ's tribes is Jewish??? It sure doesn't look like Middle Earth.

A rare jewel showing the Opening Ceremonies of the 1983 Mediterranean Games in Casablanca, Morocco

At 3:20 you can see an excerpt of the infamous performance based in the Green March, which I think it cause some controversy, specially among spaniards.

Must be NZ's Don Ho, huh?

And all those tribes ready to go to war, there is a "Star of David" flag....so one of NZ's tribes is Jewish??? It sure doesn't look like Middle Earth.

I think those non Commonwealth flags were meant to represent NZ's or Auckland's various national cultures (you can see Germanic and Swiss flags there). Quite possibly just the major nationalities.

Correct.

From memory, the sequences in order of the Opening Ceremony of Auckland 1990

* Song of Welcome/ Conch Shell Welcome

* National Anthem/ Gun Salute from One Tree Hill

* Athletes March

* Maori Cultural Performance

* Welcome from the Tangata Whenua/ Maori Reps move towards athletes and Hongi a member of each delegation

* The Discovery of NZ Cultural segment (with the ocean/canoe/ volcano etc)

* Creation Segment (story of Rangi and Papa/ balloons)

* European discovery Segment (formation of the Union Jack on the field)

* Dame Whina Cooper speech

* New World Arrivals Segment (this is the one which spurred those flags. A number of cultural groups in Auckland invited to do their national dances on the field. Abit of a free for all, jigs, reels, lion dances etc etc. The multi cultural segment)

* Pacifica Cultural Performances (all the Polynesian cultural groups with log drummers)

* Tukua Ahau with massed performances, formation of the 4 stars of the Southern Cross by marching girls

* Speeches

* Break Out by Taisha (featuring land yachts, lasers, and ending with bungey jumpers from the top of the main stand)

* Queens baton arriving by Mark Todd on Charisma, and handed to Peter Snell

* This is the Moment performed to end the show.

I wonder how long this complete Sochi OC video (including discreet fade from mostly-expanding Rings to singing Cossacks and back to miraculously-all-expanding Rings) will survive: get it while you can!

http://kinostok.tv/video/313845/tseremoniya-otkryitiya-XXII-olimpiyskih-zimnih-igr-v-sochi-2014-SATRip

I wonder how long this complete Sochi OC video (including discreet fade from mostly-expanding Rings to singing Cossacks and back to miraculously-all-expanding Rings) will survive: get it while you can!

http://kinostok.tv/video/313845/tseremoniya-otkryitiya-XXII-olimpiyskih-zimnih-igr-v-sochi-2014-SATRip

In all honesty, for that particular portion (I'd be thinking differently if it was a cauldron malfunction), I would far prefer that sneaky edit in a bluray edition, rather than a failed ring.

Someone put together a database website with all Opening Ceremonies (or at least most of them). All the vids from this database website are on YouTube. I don't have the link right now as I'm at work, but I did bookmark it last night so I'll post it later this evening.

It was interesting skimming thru some of them like ours here in Calgary. Oh man,you have to cringe at some of the segments. Oh well, it was the 80s. :rolleyes:

With Sochi going on and starting to wind down, you could think Balanced Australia would find some aditional footage from the Moscow 1980 ceremonies and finish them up for completion using 7's audio. No. Apparently, there hasn't been no Moscow stuff from him. I think he wants them to be complete as the Parade of Nations is still not even halfway there and there's already (as linked here) more of the artistic presentation.

THIS IS A REVISED COPY OF A POST I MADE THIS MORNING TO THE MANGLED Sochi Opening Ceremony THREAD

The full video of the Sochi OC is now available in Bryan Pinkall's OC Database.

http://bryanpinkall....g-ceremony.html

Also, at the risk of diverting focus yet again, I recomend anybody who hasn't been following Bryan's adventures in Sochi to check out his blog, perhaps starting here:

http://bryanpinkall....-emails_13.html

PS: The OC video is in full HD, if your bandwidth can't cope, you could try the low-res version.

The video contains all of the main live feed, from pre-show warm-up (a single static camera) through 10 minutes of aerial footage of the Olympic Park for national broadcasters to drop in on as they chose, to the OC itself (without rehearsal Rings), and finishing with footage of the Cauldron burning, post-fireworks.

@JMarkSnow. BryanPinkall's site is quite erratic and contains many factual errors and/or misrepresentations. For the Sochi entry, he claims "...over $1 billion..." for the cost. Bollocks. He doesn't know what he's talking about. Even w/o seeing the Closing & the Paralympcs (which would NOT be grander than the OC of Feb 7), I doubt that Sochi's total ceremonial budget (even including the cost of the roof, the 2 hangars, etc.) would exceed $200 million. When I see the other 3 ceremonies, I would be able to give a more realistic estimate, but it would be nowhere near Pinkall's price. And he doesn't even bother to respond to comments posted on his page. It's great that he is able to build a non-IOC-sanctioned database...but his accompanying facts should also be factual.

@JMarkSnow. BryanPinkall's site is quite erratic and contains many factual errors and/or misrepresentations. For the Sochi entry, he claims "...over $1 billion..." for the cost. Bollocks. He doesn't know what he's talking about. Even w/o seeing the Closing & the Paralympcs (which would NOT be grander than the OC of Feb 7), I doubt that Sochi's total ceremonial budget (even including the cost of the roof, the 2 hangars, etc.) would exceed $200 million. When I see the other 3 ceremonies, I would be able to give a more realistic estimate, but it would be nowhere near Pinkall's price. And he doesn't even bother to respond to comments posted on his page. It's great that he is able to build a non-IOC-sanctioned database...but his accompanying facts should also be factual.

I agree that some of Bryan's second-hand info is problematic (on the one hand, for example, I do hate it when people ignore legacy use when calculating Olympic costs; on the other hand, I suspect that he has heard some startling cost details about which we outside Russia have no clues), but the first-hand reporting in his blog is very interesting, and will become more so if he provides more retrospective details of matters he avoided discussing before the OC.

If Sochi's opening cost $1 billion, then I would have expected live feeds from the major cities of the 9 time zones in Russia. A link with the International Space Station, eh forgeddit, that would have never have cost over $1 billion...

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's a rare one - the full closing ceremony of the Sydney 2000 Paralympics:

And, as I'm feeling nice, the full opening too:

hmmm the paralympic ceremonies are always crap lol with the exception of Beijing and London

I guess the Paralympic ceremonies have always been a somewhat poor cousin of the Olympics, however the Sydney ceremonies were really good. I guess looking back now they weren't too flash in comparison to the London and Beijing (and even Athens ) efforts, however they were pioneers in producing a spectacle for the Paralympics.

Some would say they also pioneered the concept of another medium to base their ceremony around (the pixel ping pong tables). Not to mention a pretty decent cauldron lighting, an artistic cauldron extinguishing, and a nice wrap up of the summer of sport with the carnival is over.

I think keeping in mind it was 2000, Karen Richards and her team did a could job.

I think we can be thankful that finally ceremonies producers for the Para's feel comfortable to move away from the *breaking all barriers, overcoming the ods* themes that for years were trucked out.

2000 was a great leap forward for the Paralympic Games, in terms of their scale and the respect they were given by their preceding Olympics organisers.

For me, I think since their inception the Paralympics have had three recent Games that have pushed the boundaries further than their preceding hosts: Seoul, Sydney and London. Its as if every 12 years the Paralympics evolves further into its own substantial and independent identity.