Ceremonies on UTube, Pt 2

I only know that they had a huge inflated Fujiyama in the infield for the closing ceremony of the 2002 World Cup. A

And here's at least an amateur video of parts of the closing ceremony:

Interesting that they had some sort of cauldron burning near Yokohama's Stadium (1:09-1:36). Never heard of it before. I'd like to know whether they built that especially for the World Cup or whether that was in place beforehand (and what purpose it served originally then). It was quite a looker, it wouldn't be that bad as cauldron for Tokyo 2020 either. ;)

That's right. Forgot about the inflating Fujiyama...which of course, was a copy of the inflating "Arches" of the Salt Lake handover portion at Nagano. ;)

2 comments about that closing amateur video. 1. Yeah,.WTF was the cauldron about?? Obviously, someone on the Org Committee or on the Yokohoma team wanted to have their own cauldron, so they put one up!

2. But I like the cascading down of the 32 flags over the audience. Can u imagine that in an Oly opening? Altho 204 flags might be a bit too much (mainly in taking them away -- it would be quite a task to gather the huge 204 pieces of cloth and put them away in a speedy manner) but the idea of all those flags and having the ENTIRE stadium have a hands-on part of it, would just AMP UP the energy of the audience for a ceremony off the scale. Good find, Fab!!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good thing you clarified, I was about to say that there was no 1992 Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games in Albertville Minnesota United States of America North America.

^^ In fact, before the final countdown for the 2012 olympics OC began, there was some sorts of blue flags cascading down, while Elgar's "Nimrod" played in the background, probably representing the sea.

I doubt Tokyo will use the same daylight format of Nagano, although like I mentioned before, it will probably feel very solemn at parts like the 1998 ceremony did (I guess solemnity is part of japanese culture so its has to be expected).

However we will see very soon a daylight opening ceremony again. The 2014 Commonwealth Games OC was confirmed to be made in daylight. I'm curious to see what Jack Morton comes up with.

^^ In fact, before the final countdown for the 2012 olympics OC began, there was some sorts of blue flags cascading down, while Elgar's "Nimrod" played in the background, probably representing the sea.

Yes, but as Baron said: Organising a cascade of 204 national flags and thus 204 pieces of cloth is far more difficult than organising the cascade of a few huge pieces of cloth covering whole blocks in the stands, as in London's case.

I doubt Tokyo will use the same daylight format of Nagano, although like I mentioned before, it will probably feel very solemn at parts like the 1998 ceremony did (I guess solemnity is part of japanese culture so its has to be expected).

I think the era of daylight ceremonies at the Olympic Games is definitely over. Darkness provides a wholly different background for the dramaturgy of a ceremony - and also TV images that are richer in contrast (with brightly lit persons or props against a rather dark background). I also think that the daylight in Nagano actually took a lot away of the solemnity of the occasion. Especially an Olympic Flame looks much, much better in darkness than at daylight.

However we will see very soon a daylight opening ceremony again. The 2014 Commonwealth Games OC was confirmed to be made in daylight. I'm curious to see what Jack Morton comes up with.

Really? That's strange - since Glasgow is located in the time zone of the probably most important TV market of the Commonwealth Games, namely the UK. I always thought that they only stage daylight ceremonies these days when the time zone of the host city demands it. But even then they don't stage daylight ceremonies anymore (at least at the Olympic Games - see Beijing which staged its opening ceremony at the usual 8 p.m., although that was a severe disadvantage for the viewers in the main TV markets in Europe and North America).

One thing I don't like about past OCs up to Seoul (excepting LA) was how the athletes, coaches, and trainers were ushered off the field and weren't allowed to take in the further artistic portions of the ceremonies that would take up the field they previously occupied. Although they were more formal in that era, you would assume the athletes, since they worked hard to accomplish their goals as Olympians, they ought to observe all that to remind them the artistic portions are just for them too and not the spectators. Even the Winter Olympics back then had stadium bleachers reserved for them to sit and watch. Thankfully this changed.

As wind down April, the same guy who uploaded the 1988 Calgary Opening Ceremony, "SpeedskateOnVid", did the same for the Closing Ceremony earlier this month with the same Dutch commentary from Jos Kuiper on NOS. Does omit a good portion of God Save The Queen and the vice regal salute before the countdown. Olympians each having a mini-flame to light. Yeah, Eddie The Eagle gets namedropped in a closing speech and gets some face time here for his "heroic failure", much to the dismay of some more seriously-minded Calgary Olympians and the embarassed FIS. Even with no gold medals to their name, the Canadian contingent still enjoyed themselves--and did backflips with Brian Orser pretending to be conductor for a minute. So poignant now to see the Soviet and GDR athletes marching for one last time as such. Who knew it was going to happen so fast? ABC was never this complete when it aired it--some of this footage I never saw before from them. Still awaiting the CTV/TVA version. Was this the first Winter Olympic CC held at nighttime? I'm thinking that it is.

Third and final part from Calgary. Yvonne Van Gennip gets some facetime too; this is a Dutch telecast after all and wants to salute its top Dutch Olympian in Calgary.

Dedicated in memory to former Alberta Premier and Calgary Mayor at the time of the Olympics, Ralph Klein, who died in mid-March following a long illness.

Why do people here name themselves AFTER cities - Durban? Tulsa? Athensfan? I mean it's confusing enuf discussing particular cities, and yet PEOPLE have to name themselves after cities...it's just so....I dunno...dumb...

Anyway, Durban, the ushering out of the athletes only happened in 2 OCs of modern memory (just Moscow and Seoul). And actually they FOLLOWED the language of the IOC Charter which used to say that the field must be cleared of the athletes in order to make room for the artistic portions. It's the other cities, LA, then resuming with Barcelona, etc., that broke with the "prescribed" protocol and kept the athletes on the filed until the end. Only Moscow and Seoul were dumb enuf to follow the IOC language seriously.

To answer your last question: Oslo 1952 closed at night, outdoors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrXs0eXIPuE

Cortina 1956 had fireworks at their Closing beginning at 18.30 hrs. So, Cortina closed at night as well. (I can't find my damned Squaw Valley book!!! so I don't recall how that one closed.) But the ones after (Innsbruck 1964, Grenoble 1968, Sapporo 1972, Lake Placid 1980, etc.) which had skating galas inside, closed at night.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Why do people here name themselves AFTER cities - Durban? Tulsa? Athensfan? I mean it's confusing enuf discussing particular cities, and yet PEOPLE have to name themselves after cities...it's just so....I dunno...dumb...

Is this satire or is this for real? If so: Gosh, Baron, what's wrong with you? Recently you seem to be way too much into bitching. Besides, it's not even that Durban Sandshark is a new user here - he joined this board only a few months after you, in 2004. And he's also quite an active user, so I'm very surprised that you stumble across his name now.

Anyway: Here's a list of all winter closing ceremony venues, according to the official Games Reports:

Chamonix 1924 - Stade de Glace (outdoors; also opening venue)

St. Moritz 1928 - Badrutts Park (outdoors; also opening venue)

Lake Placid 1932 - Olympic Stadium (outdoors; also opening venue)

Garmisch-Partenkirchen 1936 - Skistadion am Gudiberg (outdoors; also opening venue)

St. Moritz 1948 - Badrutts Park (outdoors; also opening venue)

Oslo 1952 - Bislett Stadium (outdoors; also opening venue)

Cortina d'Ampezzo 1956 - Stadio del Ghiaccio (outdoors; also opening venue)

Squaw Valley 1960 - Blyth Memorial Arena (indoors/sort-of outdoors; also opening venue)

Innsbruck 1964 - Olympia-Eisstadion (indoors; first closing ceremony not taking place at the opening venue)

Grenoble 1968 - Stade de Glace (indoors)

Sapporo 1972 - Makomanai Ice Arena (indoors)

Innsbruck 1976 - Olympia-Eisstadion (indoors)

Lake Placid 1980 - Olympic Center International Rink (indoors)

Sarajevo 1984 - Zetra Ice Hall (indoors)

Calgary 1988 - McMahon Stadium (outdoors; also opening venue)

Albertville 1992 - Théatre des Céremonies (outdoors; also opening venue)

Lillehammer 1994 - Lysgardsbakkene Stadium (outdoors; also opening venue)

Nagano 1998 - Minami Sports Park (outdoors; also opening venue)

Salt Lake City 2002 - Rice-Eccles Olympic Stadium (outdoors; also opening venue)

Torino 2006 - Stadio Olimpico (outdoors; also opening venue)

Vancouver 2010 - BC Place (indoors; also opening venue)

• Like 1

Thanks for letting me know about the protocol regarding athletes leaving the field for the artistic portions, Baron. Those two are more of my young lifetime; I was wondering if there were others. Now I know for sure. Also for Oslo and Cortina.

Can't remember ever that ABC would show, with few notable non-USA and Canadian Olympians like Eddie The Eagle, face time to many Olympians like the Dutch NOS broadcast did. I could assume it was actually more of a worldwide feed. If I recall correctly, ABC kinda went into it in progress well after the athletes' march into McMahon Stadium. Then again, I was watching the YouTube upload that apparently was taken down since--I didn't see it live back then. It was when the Seoul portion was going on, the last time ever a Summer Olympics got a nod in the Winter Closing Ceremony especially when it was in the later that same year.

Joaquin Riviera, famous venezuelan choreographer who did the Moscow inspired ceremonies of the 1983 Pan Am Games, passed away last week. National TV shown has shown some bits of him when he was being interviewed during the rehearsals, as well for bits of these ceremonies.

• 2 weeks later...

^^ Glad you like it :lol:! I also found another kitsch on grand scale made in Russia, this time for the 2002 Youth Games of the CIS and Baltic Regions of Russia (apparently done by the same guys who did the 1998 show)

The strange opening ceremonies of the 2005 IAAF World Championships In Athletics at Helsinki. The whole ceremony was some kind of a tribute to the championships since they were returning to the city on where they were first held in 1983

Speaking of that, here's a fragment of the 1983 opening

Am watching that 2005 OC. How bizarre. Norfolk Island? WTF is that? And nations w/ no athletes (Oman, Philippines, etc.) are just marched in?? Just to show the flag?? :blink: What are those roller-skaters doing there? Shades of Albertville?

But I like the various Finnish national costumes. Just reminds me how laughable the London 2012 placard girls were -- with their HIDEOUS, newspaper costumes -- which even Dame Edna would not have been caught dead in -- and the even MORE ridiculously contrived antenna-placards they were holding up. I almost wanted to see the nations' names light up!! :lol:

Sheesh! :blink: Were those ridonkulous or what?? :wacko:

814528d73f7b5915aa5aa2347579757f.jpg

Back to the 2005 show.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

More thots.

They followed my idea of allowing only a minimum # of athletes to march in; like just 12 for Russia, and 9 for the US!! Good boys!

And BTW, I think this is the Olympic unit telecasting this clip. I know the OBS hired the sports branch of Finnish state TV to film the world feed of Athletics. But the coverage of this Opening is quite confusing so far.

Will watch more later.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
They followed my idea of allowing only a minimum # of athletes to march in; like just 12 for Russia, and 9 for the US!! Good boys!

I suppose they didn't have to restrict the number of athletes - but the athletes simply didn't want to participate in the opening ceremony because they had to train. I didn't recognise any of the members of the German team who marched in that ceremony - and I suppose that half of them were coaches.

Anyway, at least Finnish television broadcast that ceremony in full. I find it sad that ARD German Television only showed highlights of the opening ceremony of Berlin 2009, so they weren't even broadcasting it live. And even the performance of the national anthem (which was an interesting modern "soul" version performed by a young black singer) wasn't shown in full. I would like to see that footage again, but it was so fleeting that probably no one (besides the official ARD archive) recorded it.

^^ Glad you like it :lol:! I also found another kitsch on grand scale made in Russia, this time for the 2002 Youth Games of the CIS and Baltic Regions of Russia (apparently done by the same guys who did the 1998 show)

That was really quite enjoyable and fun! Yes, it had shades of old communist Soviet Russia, including two of those gymnastic "Xmas" tree-gyms that were used in the Mockba 80 Ceremonies, standing over to the side. Dixieland music and marches were great! And it was nice to see the Russians playing goofy and seemingly having some FUN!!

Aimed for children, but what was with Bunny Rabbit putting the big carrot in his crotch??? :blink: I wonder if that was intended??

And there are other parts after this clip -- again, all the Russian folk dance companies seem to have been called to Moscow once more!!

COLORFUL and FUN! No pretentions nor any attempts at putting on pseudo-cerebral pieces of garbage.

Also, these were the forerunners of what eventually became the YOGs.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I have to add to the Helsinki 2005 opening ceremony video that even if most of the ceremony appears cheaply-made (that time travelling thing is really choppy, and apparently they didn't even manage to have bands from all of the former IAAF WCH host countries performing in the respective segments - so that they had to resort to Finnish bands), it had an impressive light and laser show to the strains of Jean Sibelius' symphony Finlandia and a moving choir performance of the Finlandia Hymn, Finland's unofficial national anthem from the same symphony. And all that led into some very decent fireworks. So they managed to turn it into a ceremony of Olympic proportions at least at the end. ;)

^^ Agree with you. The light/laser show with Jean Sibelius's Finlandia playing was the best moment of the ceremony (I didn't cared for the rest, except, maybe Nightwish :lol: )

Here's the opening of the 1999 IAAF championship in Sevilla, Spain, just to make a small comparison.

Really interesting that they staged such lavish night time ceremonies at the IAAF Championships in the 1990s and even still in 2005. At the stadium itself, Berlin did only have a rather short opening ceremony (with the traditional protocol elements as well, such as the opening by the German President Horst Köhler) in the middle of the first day of competition. Besides, they had a "Welcome Night" one day earlier - but at the Brandenburg Gate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsB-BKDdvJk

I suppose that they've realised that there's no point in staging such lavish ceremonies if they can be watched (if any) only by the TV viewers in the host country and the audience in the stadium. Or have you ever seen a live broadcast of a full IAAF WCH opening ceremony on your national TV station, if your country didn't host the championships?

And I just found at least the German national anthem being sung at the short (only 15 minute long) official opening ceremony on day 1 of Berlin 2009. It's in bad quality, sadly - but hey, better than nothing:

According to this article (http://www.bild.de/sport/leichtathletik-wm-2009-berlin/wm/am-brandenburger-tor-9411258.bild.html, in German), the anthem was performed by a 1,000 strong choir, the Chorverband Berlin, and Oceana - the German singer that also sang the official theme song "Endless Summer" for EURO 2012 in Poland and Ukraine.

^^ Agree with you. The light/laser show with Jean Sibelius's Finlandia playing was the best moment of the ceremony (I didn't cared for the rest, except, maybe Nightwish :lol: )

Here's the opening of the 1999 IAAF championship in Sevilla, Spain, just to make a small comparison.

Interesting. Reminds me very much of a Barcelona Redux. Nice soundtrack. I wonder if Sevilla got their investment back in building an Olympic stadium just for one IAAF Wold Champs...or that was just another 'Bilbao-Guggenheim" civic move?

Here's more of the fun 2002 Int'l Youth Games for the CIS and Baltic States OC in Moscow. This one features the usual 'sports' sequences.

Because they had Jacques Rogge there, I think the ceremony also served as a kick-off for Moscow's campaign for 2012. Notice the "2012" on the ship and those "gymnastic X'mas trees" from 1980 are also featured in a Salute, I think, to the glories of 1980 and in the hope that they would return in 2012.

All in all, fun and massive...and again, it was nice to see Russian youth smiling and having a good time vs. the sombre 1980 faces!!