Ceremonies on UTube, Pt 2

Nothing says "condescending" like a largely white, middle class chorus of people at the Closing Ceremony of the 1994 Commonwealth Games in Canada telling the poorest continent on earth to "smile, there is a new day in the morning" :huh::rolleyes: Gotta love 1990's optimism.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiL9O2Aty08[/media

]
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good thing you clarified, I was about to say that there was no 1992 Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games in Albertville Minnesota United States of America North America.

Nothing says "condescending" like a largely white, middle class chorus of people at the Closing Ceremony of the 1994 Commonwealth Games in Canada telling the poorest continent on earth to "smile, there is a new day in the morning" :huh::rolleyes: Gotta love 1990's optimism.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiL9O2Aty08[/media

]

U're right. It's so sickeningly hokey. And a poor-person's version of the "Reach Out and Touch" closing of LA-84's Opening Ceremony.

Com Games closing ceremonies always were a vast afterthought. Auckland didn't do too much better in 1990 with their gigantic kids jump rope for heart demonstration and Betty Anne Monga wearing a Pohutukawa inspired frock singing *We Can Work Wonders*. Perhaps saved by Dame Kiri's epic performance at the end.

Here's a short clip on a youth Maori Kapahaka segment from the Closing of Auckland 1990. You can see the Victoria 94 totems i the background.

http://youtu.be/4QGl8-Ow0OU

Opening Ceremony of the New Zealand 2011 Rugby World Cup.

Note the economical use of everyones phones at the opening countdown, instead of flashlights. Not a bad idea really.

Wow!! Me like, Matty! I am awe-inspired. Very impressive! (I hate the Hakka-thing but I suppose it has its theatrical uses.)

Terrific use of projections!

Nikki Webster, move over. There's a new kid star on the block!!

Did DAE do this?

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Two terrific 'behind-the-scenes' reels of the Doha 2006 shows:

http://www.daeglobal.com/showcase/all-our-work/

http://www.daeglobal.com/showcase/all-our-work/

Really very ambitious--well, considering the $185 million budget.

And it's really very revealing of a lot of very "un-conservative" Islamic behavior going on behind the scenes -- a lot of touching between the genders, a lot of skin; a lot of seductive posturing, etc. I am quite surprised.. If the Taliban had somehow infiltrated these activities, I am sure all of David Atklins' crew would've been executed. Thank Allah that didn't happen.

Two terrific 'behind-the-scenes' reels of the Doha 2006 shows:

http://www.daeglobal...e/all-our-work/

http://www.daeglobal...e/all-our-work/

Really very ambitious--well, considering the $185 million budget.

And it's really very revealing of a lot of very "un-conservative" Islamic behavior going on behind the scenes -- a lot of touching between the genders, a lot of skin; a lot of seductive posturing, etc. I am quite surprised.. If the Taliban had somehow infiltrated these activities, I am sure all of David Atklins' crew would've been executed. Thank Allah that didn't happen.

hahahaha unbelieveable!!

Wow!! Me like, Matty! I am awe-inspired. Very impressive! (I hate the Hakka-thing but I suppose it has its theatrical uses.)

Terrific use of projections!

Nikki Webster, move over. There's a new kid star on the block!!

Did DAE do this?

He did indeed. Mike Mizrahi and Inside Out Productions produced the *All Lit Up* city harbour spectacular at the end.

You can say alot of things about David Atkins, maybe he clung on to projections for abit too long, but he can certainly direct ceremonies of foreign nations, he seems to have that formula down.

When he was announced there was alot of negative feedback, many would have preferred a Kiwi company and were iffy about *an Australian* producing our opening ceremony - but it was met with almost complete positivity . He managed to capture both the culture aswell as the place rugby has in society - I was particularly impressed that he got the whole backyard rugby metaphore.

As for the Haka, well, it's one of those things that kinda has to be done, and is genuinely liked and I guess has extra attachment to rugby.

Seems though David is out of favour in the next few years for the worlds major ceremonies, I wonder where he will pop up again next?

Seems though David is out of favour in the next few years for the worlds major ceremonies, I wonder where he will pop up again next?

Well, he could've actually retired after Doha '06. I think he made enough there to tide him over even a decade's lean years. He seems to have good connections with the Arabs -- so perhaps at those Islamic Games in Riau, Indonesia. Maybe someone will show the "wrong" film at the Opening! :lol::lol: Qatar 2022 for sure.

Well, he could've actually retired after Doha '06. I think he made enough there to tide him over even a decade's lean years. He seems to have good connections with the Arabs -- so perhaps at those Islamic Games in Riau, Indonesia. Maybe someone will show the "wrong" film at the Opening! :lol::lol: Qatar 2022 for sure.

that islamic games in riau ?? that will the best ceremony ever held in indonesia !!! i hope it will !!!

that islamic games in riau ?? that will the best ceremony ever held in indonesia !!! i hope it will !!!

Which are actually for next April already. So since it is close enough to the Sydney homebase, he might be probably hard at work already. I hope this will help erase the nightmare of Susan Susanti! :lol:

Which are actually for next April already. So since it is close enough to the Sydney homebase, he might be probably hard at work already. I hope this will help erase the nightmare of Susan Susanti! :lol:

are you sure ??? seriously ????

I had to have my Atlanta 1996 ceremonial fix. So let us relive again one of the many magical moments of the 1996 Centennial Olympics Opening Ceremony -- the Temple of Zeus!!

Still the most memorable and successful part of that ceremony to me - so simple, yet so striking.

Here's the Lighting of the 13th Asian Games cauldron in Bangkok 1998.

It predates Birch's Sydney 2000 floating cauldron which then went up. This one though, is a model of a Thai temple which goes slightly up AND then lights like a lotus-plant type-thingy at the top rim of the stadium. Quite slow and shot from a very bad angle.

• 2 weeks later...

^ so childish. So cheap. It's a pity the IOC isn't a bully about ceremonial flames at other sporting events - and attempt to claim it as their intellectual property.

Well ya know...if all the cauldron-lighting moments were primo, first-class, A-1 productions, they might outshine the Olympic moments. So at least, the cheaper budgeted Games make the Olympic lightings stand out...somewhat.

Small excerpt from the 1994 Goodwill Games opening ceremonies held in St. Petersburg, Russia

The quality is not very good since it was recorded from a camera, but you can notice it had a Moscow 80 vibe on it. For those curious the ship and the actor at the end are meant to represent Peter the Great.