Ceremonies on UTube, Pt 2

baron-pierreIV

I assure you Baron-PierreIV no offense is taken from your remark. (LOL!) The first one was at least rather Olympic-like, but I agree about the 2nd one - a very mind-numbingly boring massed gymnastic display.  At least the Soviets knew how to make displays that "oohed and aahed" the crowd in 1980 and 1986.

Those are extremely hard or nearly impossible to find. There is a video which has some photos of the event but that's it. I think the only way is if someone who happened to live in Cuba around that time recordered on a VCR or something. 

As for the Festival, Cuba was going through a very hard time in 1997 when they lost the aid of the now defunct USSR. So the opening ceremony was a simple event held at the streets of Havana. The 1978 one on the other hand seemed to be more bombastic. 

Thanks Ikarus!! Shame the full things are close to non-existence online because I really wanted to see the 1982 ceremonies. Pyongyang hosted 1989 Festival which I always found intriguing.

Also, I tried contacting CIJM in hopes of getting the full ceremonies of the 1987 Games in Latakia. I did via Facebook, all I know is, they read it but did not reply.

19 hours ago, MissEurasia said:

Thanks Ikarus!! Shame the full things are close to non-existence online because I really wanted to see the 1982 ceremonies. Pyongyang hosted 1989 Festival which I always found intriguing.

Also, I tried contacting CIJM in hopes of getting the full ceremonies of the 1987 Games in Latakia. I did via Facebook, all I know is, they read it but did not reply.

Just curious.  Why are looking for the most obscure things -- when most of the regulars here already delve into the more obscure things in int'l sports; and you seek out the even truly MORe obscure items?   Just curious. 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Just curious.  Why are looking for the most obscure things -- when most of the regulars here already delve into the more obscure things in int'l sports; and you seek out the even truly MORe obscure items?   Just curious. 

Because I find it interesting and intriguing?

• Like 1

Just now, baron-pierreIV said:

Fair enough, but many of the smaller events (of no great note), as you've found out, are rarer and more difficult to find. 

I know, but I still research. Hence I'm trying my best to find full ceremony videos of the 1982 Caribbean Games, even if I have to reach out to people via email or post.

The 2017 Africa Nations Cup Opening Ceremony that took place yesterday in Gabon's capital Libreville at the Stade de l'Amitie before the first game between hosts Gabon and debutants Guinea-Bissau. Has the mascot Samba the Black Panther and a boy with lots of dancing and includes recording artists Davido, Mohombi (a Congolese-Swedish recording artist best known for part of song with Shaggy), French rapper Booba (who's one of my favorite rappers around and is half Senegalese, a huge rap star in the Francophone world--was one-half of beloved French rap duo Luantic with Ali), Diamond Platinumz, Lumino, and Franco:

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was the opening ceremony of the Winter Universiade in Almaty. Apparently they hired Igor Krutoy again to make the show, though this time it was a smaller version of the 2011 Winter Asiad because it was done on a Ice are instead of a stadium. 

40 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

The video doesn't shows the entire thing. Also, tbh its not like they were going to waste so much millions in an event very few people actually watch.

That's because the Youtube stream is using content from livefisu.tv where I'm watching and the stream it's just stopped right there as you see in video..

That's sucks as livefisu.tv is the official online broadcaster of the Universiade and this is their 3rd games already and I've never get that awful broadcast in their previous games..

Finally found a video of the Opening of the 1989 World Festival of Youth and Students celebrated at Pyongyang. Yup, the infamous festival which was done as an answer to Seoul 1988 Olympics and which ended instead bankrupting the nation shortly after. 

The May Day stadium was built for this event, so one can say this was the very first Mass Games done in the stadium. 

• Like 1

They've made a big deal about the drones that appeared in Lady Gaga's 2017 Halftime show, but I think this clip shows the first time that drones were used en masse as organic content than yesterday's show.  Watch for the "birds" that appear at the 3:01 mark.  So the Chinese seem to have been first in this frontier.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I heard they hired some of the people who assisted in the Beijing 2008 ceremony for their National Games back then, though not sure if it's true. The 2013 one was pretty boring because they wanted to lower costs. Not sure how this year edition is going to be.