Ceremonies on UTube, Pt 2

baron-pierreIV

Thanks, Baron.

As we say farewell to Muhammad Ali today with that great memorial service at the KFC Yum! Center in his native Louisville, it's a good time to recall one of his greatest moments of his life with the incredible torch lighting 20 years ago in Atlanta that brought him back to public prominence (even though he never really went away) and ushered forth a whole new and permanent limitless amount of goodwill coming his way. Getting the torch from Janet Evans up the ramp and got it from Atlanta native Evander Holyfield and Greek gold medal-winning hurdler from Barcelona Vuola Patoulidou, and earlier Al Oerter to Holyfield. Found out on ESPN Radio this morning in a Dick Ebersol interview with Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic that it was Ebersol's genius idea to suggest Ali to AOCOG President Billy Payne, who he and his team initially resisted and wanted Holyfield. But Payne, now Augusta National President, later came around in his phone call to Ebersol. You'll notice as he was lighting, the flames almost touched his arm but didn't. Touched on in that same interview:

Hi! I really had to dig, but I found the Beijing 2008 Paralympic Ceremonies! It's not youtube, and the videos can't be downloaded, just streamed, but at least they are online. Here are the links:

Beijing 2008 Paralympic Opening Ceremony CCTV HD - no athlete parade

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XOTczNzk5Mjg=.html

Beijing 2008 Paralympic Opening Ceremony UniversalSports.com - complete

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTU3NDgzOTI4.html

Beijing 2008 Paralympic Closing Ceremony CCTV complete

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XOTczODAzMjA=.html

Thanks, Baron.

As we say farewell to Muhammad Ali today with that great memorial service at the KFC Yum! Center in his native Louisville, it's a good time to recall one of his greatest moments of his life with the incredible torch lighting 20 years ago in Atlanta that brought him back to public prominence (even though he never really went away) and ushered forth a whole new and permanent limitless amount of goodwill coming his way. Getting the torch from Janet Evans up the ramp and got it from Atlanta native Evander Holyfield and Greek gold medal-winning hurdler from Barcelona Vuola Patoulidou, and earlier Al Oerter to Holyfield. Found out on ESPN Radio this morning in a Dick Ebersol interview with Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic that it was Ebersol's genius idea to suggest Ali to AOCOG President Billy Payne, who he and his team initially resisted and wanted Holyfield. But Payne, now Augusta National President, later came around in his phone call to Ebersol. You'll notice as he was lighting, the flames almost touched his arm but didn't. Touched on in that same interview:

One of the most EMBARASSING Lighting moments as far as I was concerned. Why use a weak and already sick Lighter when the Games are about vitality and being the essence of health -- not a pathetic view of a has-been? Both Ebersol and Billy Payne had brain farts in thinking about that man. Someone should have grabbed that torch from Clay.

So far, this is the only one I can find of the Euro 2016 Opening. But with the striped T-shirts, the can-can girls and even a pop version of "La Vie en Rose," it's OK; quite French. I say much better than the World Cup 1998 or the Albertville 1992 OCs which were too bizarre. The only thing missing is a big pool of water. I would've wanted to see that -- to make it a unique soccer OC ceremony!!

Can anyone find a more complete version??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXjFGmAMwpc

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I thought that the EURO's opening ceremony was bleh and rather filled with clichés (as a matter of fact, those can-can dancers made me cringe). France is much more than can-can, Edith Piaf, the parks of Versailles and the Eiffel Tower and it would have been nicer if they had tried to convey traditions and a more modern image of the country. But hey, that's what you get if they only have a 10-minute-slot for an opening ceremony - it's probably impossible to fill those few minutes with something else than piffle and tripe. France will certainly do a much better job when it hosts the Olympic Games again, just like Rio will certainly deliver a much better opening ceremony than that hot mess presented at the 2014 World Cup.

That's why I think they should had put a french team in charge of the ceremony instead of an italian one, so of course it would had led up to cliche stuff (though i'm ok with Edith Piaf). Same happened to Brazil when they hired those random guys who did the bizarre as hell ceremony of Medellin 2010 and obviously had no idea of Brazilian culture.

The opening of 1998 World Cup was done by a french studio, in contrast, and despite its bizarreness it felt much more french and creative than that other thing

Ok, I know it may be a longshot, But I have contacted the CIJM in hopes of getting my hands on both the Opening/Closing Ceremonies of Latakia 1987 in good quality and in full. I've watched the one posted on YT but would love to see a more clearer version.

I sort of found the NHK tv broadcasts of the Tokyo 1964 Olympic Games Ceremonies. However, I can't seem to get the videos to play properly on my computer. I decided to post the links, anyway, because they might play correctly for some of you.

Opening Ceremony 10-10-1964

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm24657490

Closing Ceremony 10-24-1964

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm24764686

The opening of 1998 World Cup was done by a french studio, in contrast, and despite its bizarreness it felt much more french and creative than that other thing

It's too bad that Opening had bad camera shots. You can sort of make out the story but the choices of camera angles are so odd that it's irritating and jarring. You never get a sense of the full scope of what the creators are trying to tell about the action in the Garden.

Finally finished watching it. It's a very messy, undisciplined ceremony. In some ways, worse than Albertville. Perhaps it's better than an outsider firm does their Ceremonies. The French don't seem to know how to produce a coherent one.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! Guess what I found! It's another video of the 1987 Pan Am Games Opening Ceremony. This one is RAW footage from a pool camera, and shows the arrival of Vice-Pres. Bush and the beginning of the ceremony. This is a great compliment to the previously posted video as this one shows a lot of the entertainment before the parade of nations. Enjoy! P.S. Watching this video makes me wish more than ever, that a complete video of the ceremony would surface. It was very entertaining!

https://www,youtube.com/watch?v=1K-cYqTvjKc

Sorry, typo in the above link. Here is the correct one.

• Like 1

I've found on youtube some very rare footage from CBS broadcasts of the 1975, 1979, 1983, and 1987 Pan American Games. Not the ceremonies, but sports event footage. I know this is for ceremonies, but would anyone like me to post links here to this footage? Please let me know. Thanks.

I've found on youtube some very rare footage from CBS broadcasts of the 1975, 1979, 1983, and 1987 Pan American Games. Not the ceremonies, but sports event footage. I know this is for ceremonies, but would anyone like me to post links here to this footage? Please let me know. Thanks.

No; please put them in another folder. This folder is already 130 pages long. We should limit it to Ceremonies. Open up another folder for Sports clips.

Here is a link you will like. On that page you can listen to the audio track of CBS-TV coverage of the Squaw Valley 1960 Opening Ceremonies. This audio is from a souvenir 33 1/3 LP that was issued. This audio file is from an original LP and is rather poor with scratches and pops throughout. I am fortunate to have a digitally remastered CD version with pristine audio that was issued by ConBrio Recordings several years ago. (Unfortunately, they no longer list the CD for sale on their website.) The real highlight of the recording is hearing the first performance of the Olympic Hymn since 1896 - and it is the original arrangement, very different from the version we are used to, and the same arrangement used at the Opening Ceremony in Los Angeles in 1984. Also of note, you will hear the voice of Walt Disney as he is briefly interviewed during the first track of the album. The PA Announcer that day, heard in the recording, is Bill Henry who was also PA Announcer for the 1932 Olympic Games in Los Angeles and hosted NBC's coverage of the 1964 Tokyo Olympics as well. Enjoy!
Track List:
1. Introduction - CBS Television
2. Opening of Ceremonies - Announcer, Bill Henry
3. The Parade of the Olympians
4. Standard Bearers Take Positions - Marine Band, Washington D.C.
5. Welcome - Prentis Hale, Avery Brundage
6. Declaration - Richard Nixon
Olympic Hymn - Combined High School Choirs & Bands
7. Olympic Flag Presentation - Harold T. Johnson, Renzo Mendari
Salutes, Pigeon Release
8. These Things Shall Be - Combined High School Choirs & Bands
9. Arrival of the Olympic Flame - Andrea Lawrence, Ken Henry
Conquest - Marine Band, Washington D.C.
Lighting of the Olympic Flame
10. Olympic Prayer - Karl Malden, Combined High School Choirs & Bands
11. Olympic Oath - Carol Heiss
12. Star Spangled Banner - Combined High School Choirs & Bands
13. Departure of Athletes
You can read more about this recording and Walt Disney's involvement in the 1960 Olympics at the this link: