Ceremonies on UTube, Pt 2

baron-pierreIV

/\/\ Anything will always look better in 20/20 hindsight. But I don't see how they could've improved on it. The South doesn't have a very deep, non-controversial and "presentational"-type culture other than what was already represented. While, I personally didn't like the "Welcome to Atlanta" segment -- but that's neither here nor there. They hit the right benchmarks that were required for the night.

• Like 1

^^ His account has the remaining parts of it, you can check them out. Aw well, i guess i'll post them here

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

PART 4

PART 5

PART 6

PART 7

PART 8

PART 9

PART 10

PART 11 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnDCzx2D-PY

PART 12 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wk59sPq3h0

/\/\ Anything will always look better in 20/20 hindsight. But I don't see how they could've improved on it. The South doesn't have a very deep, non-controversial and "presentational"-type culture other than what was already represented. While, I personally didn't like the "Welcome to Atlanta" segment -- but that's neither here nor there. They hit the right benchmarks that were required for the night.

Completely agree.

Now I don't have Baron's patriotism and personal connection to claim it's the best ever, it certainly was a fantastic opening ceremony (and yes, we must remember its era).

I've said here before , but they had the luck and the curse of having to balance between denoting the host as well as the centennial. They did this in the best way possible.

Remember, we had not yet reached the era of a cohesive themed show. Ceremonies in the 90s were very much a case of a number of set pieces that could be completely independent from each other (no theme of Chinese invention, Greek art or British contributions to revolutions).

The welcome to the South segment could perhaps have been shaken up bit (but hey, they had pickup tracks, Sydney had lawnmowers).

It's a ceremony I have watched many times :)

• Like 1

^^ Looking back at it, the ceremony could had been even better if only Maracana roof wasn't so old and unstable back then to be able to support a cable system. But even without it, the ceremony was memorable and marked a before and after in Pan Am Ceremonies

Don't forget that there's another regional multisport games going on in the form of the 15th Pacific Games in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea that kicked off on the Fourth of July with the Opening Ceremony at Sir John Guise Stadium that was broadcast live on PNG's top FTA channel EMTV, that also broadcast the Olympics on the 40th year of independence. The ceremony itself starts at around the 24-minute mark that previously is really the Pacific Games pro-PNG OC preview show like for example some of PNG's greatest sports moments. Since Australia and New Zealand are part of the Pacific/Oceania nations, one would think those would be full-fledged members in this. But they are here for the first time, believe it or not, but are limited here simply because their presence and long-standing international sports experience will instantly display a wide discrepincy of talent and competition except for sports like rugby where the Pacific Island nations can definitely hold their own against those two. These Games doubles as some Olympic qualification nows that the Pacific Games are now classified as continental and not just regional. This is pretty much the happy OC will little of the seriousness in other bigger, and more well-known counterparts. It sure wants to include every PNG province for its diverse dances, which takes up a lot of time that includes the popular Solomon Islands dancers and singers, before and after the athletes show up. Instead of marching along the track, many participating nations/territories are taking time to show off their distinct war chant/dance performances with the always crowd-pleasing Haka bringing down the house on the large stage; it's almost like a cheerleading/dance/black fraternity contest. This may be the last time you'll see the Fijian flag as it is. Also with Australia taking over the Norfolk Islands' administration, it may be the final time they participate. You'll never see these Pacific nations and territories have large contingents like this at the Pacific Games. This went longer than the first European Games OC!

Why don't I have any motivation to watch these PanAm or the Universiade OCs? Aside from the fact that I have deadlines on my other writing projects, I think I am OD'ing on these Tier B ceremonies. I mean I always have to console myself that OK, it's NOT an Olympic opening ceremony, so it will be something less. :blink: So maybe, I should institute a NEW criterion for me: I won't waste my time on any Ceremony if it's less than $100 million. That sounds like an agreeable bar. :)

I am feeling like there are now too many big opening ceremonies- it is devaluing them a lot.

The Chinese OTT ceremonies for the Univerisade, Asian Games and Youth Olympics - even World Championships, plus the obscene expenditure of Oil Rich countries on 'artists' all leaves me a bit jaded.

That was exactly my conclusion in Chapter 11 of my book wherein it discusses the ceremonies of all other Games. They've just diluted the whole idea now.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Toronto's Pan American Games 2015 is in the history books (or Wikipedia entries, to be more updated). I heard about Kanye's mic cutting off prematurely due to audio issues--and had his now-typical Kanye tantrum. John Tory mistook as a Canadian product. But Kanye's inclusion is a result of Live Nation's involvement and the wish to bring someone entirely familiar to all the Americas. Drake would be nice and a rising Canadian star could use that exposure. This emphasizing the bustling city with its own rendition of the skyline, which should look more update--was more correct 2-3 decades ago. Anyway, the Toronto Closing Ceremony is taking some technical cues from the OBS from how it starts with intro and exterior aerial helicopter scenes and inside the stadium moments before the countdown. Got the best one out there, actually from the CBC Sports host feed taken from Argentina's TyC Sports with the obscured preshow warmups hosted by the heard but not seen CBC News Toronto weekday evening co-anchors Dwight Drummond and Anne-Marie Mediwake and a French speaker likely from Radio-Canada Toronto. All with no commentary. Nation signage much different from what the Harlots brought out in the OC--and still have it three languages. Now this athletes entry with them coming along the baseball warning track is fun and energetic, even interacting with the spectators like high fiving them! Preshow is at just under the 20 minute mark already in progress. OC start is very close to 50 minutes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tb6-zQ8EG4

Couldn't find a good Pacific Games closing ceremony yet from Port Moresby.

• 2 weeks later...

No doubt about the Athens and Beijing influences; Baku's OC artistic director is Dimitris Papaionnaou, who helped organize and is acclaimed for his direction with Athens.

Hey, guess what?! SpiritOf84 strikes again! He's now just given us hours ago the full live ABC broadcast of the 1984 Los Angeles Closing Ceremony when we previously had to make do with segments from it! Also this takes away the curiosity whether Lionel Ritchie's "All Night Long" with the breakdancers actually closed down the CC, as perhaps some people were thinking this. A choir singing Auld Lang Syne actually ended it after additional fireworks. Such a relaxed and fun atmosphere in LA with the heat having now disappeared. Nobody wanted to go home. We also get vignettes of how Yugoslavia fared in the Summer Olympics watching up to 3am through 160 hours on RTJ after its success earlier that year as winter hosts, Peter Jennings interviewing Juan Antonio Samaranch, the marathoners finishing off the field, the men's marathon and equestrian show jumping medal ceremonies (they entered on horseback to get the medals; the horses themselves, as Baron points out earlier, were very likely stand-ins for the actual competition ones due to being tested for drugs with not enough to get them over to the LA Memorial Coliseum and were not experience under the bright lights and crowds), and Donna de Verona interviewing 1972 Olympic marathon gold medalist Frank Shorter. Even the Moscow Olympic fanfare made a cameo here. Never has there been an exchange of gifts between the hosts nations' kids since. That should've carried on. Was that meant as a one-off? There was a level of loosey-goosey-ness of the athletes marching as one here than in subsequent ones when it got more organized, streamlined, and a little more tribal while still very much in the spirit of the oneness; they seem to enter by delegations since. Then you had the PA announcer Charles Corson sounding like a schoolteacher to please return to your classrooms at times. Indeed, it was an ending of an era when ABC stopped broadcasting the Summer Olympics with this, when it went largely commercial-free. But what a way for it go out on that. Mind you, we'd sure like to see perhaps a BBC/CBC/Network Ten/SVT/etc. version of both ceremonies when made available

The full Televisa presentation of Barcelona's closing ceremony from Mexico. Footage at the end tends to last longer by numerous minutes than the RTO world feed with scenes at Montjuic Stadium of athletes, coaches, trainers, and volunteers still celebrating, running around, and milling about interspersed with external some shots of Barcelona (Las Ramblas?)

you know the PA announcer Charles Corson sounding like a schoolteacher to please return to your classrooms at times reminds me of in the Senate when Rand Paul had finished his filibuster the president kept banging the gavel asking for order and saying that applause was nit allowed but the audience ignored him!

you know the PA announcer Charles Corson sounding like a schoolteacher to please return to your classrooms at times reminds me of in the Senate when Rand Paul had finished his filibuster the president kept banging the gavel asking for order and saying that applause was nit allowed but the audience ignored him!

:lol: Probrably the cheering Senators all should've gave the president pro-tempe the finger at him too. But that wouldn't be allowed or sanctioned in Congress.

Would you believe there was another international multisports games opening ceremony this summer, one that many of us aren't aware much about until now? Think of the NatWest Island Games 2015 as the GSSE with a slightly larger scale, yet the biggest Island Games ever with participants. Many of them are largely European ones like Gotland, Gibraltar, the Channel islands like Jersey, Alderney, and Guernsey, Cayman Islands, Bermuda, Iceland, Malta, Menorrca, Orkney Islands, Greenland, Faroe Islands, the Falkland Islands, Isle of Man, Alend, Saaremaa, and the Greek island of Rhodes. Even the Canadian province of Prince Edward Island has participated. This year it took place in the British overseas island Channel territory of Jersey. Ceremony itself is like what we just saw in Rejykavik, Iceland with the GSSE earlier this year with a stage for performances, albeit you don't see the team marching up the stage since it's outdoors and don't need to. More like your local low-budget small scale summer outdoor festival, so it wouldn't quite have the visual wowness that we come to expect in the bigger OCs. Has a taste like the Commonwealth Games with areas not represented with the bigger ones, of course:

Part 3

[/media]

[/media]

Why isn't this uploaded in full?

^^ Baron, please stop being fucking rude with everyone for once, would you?. We don't care if you're not in the mood for whatever has happened with you IRL but its not of our concern.

Stuff it, Jose. And who appointed you to be the etiquette monitor? Mind your own business for once. It wasn't rude and it wasn't intended for you -- so just chill out, busybody.

Edited by baron-pierreIV