Ceremonies on UTube, Pt 2

baron-pierreIV

Minor league to us here in the USA and Canada. But still huge in Europe and increasingly getting popular in the Arab world and Brazil and Argentina anfd a few patches in Asia. Nonetheless, team handball is an exciting and fun sport that needs to organically build a following here, which surely won't happen overnight here. All boils down to habits and loyalty to sports what many American and Canadian mainstream fans are accustomed to.

Team Canada backstage and inside the belly of BC Place moments before marching last at the Opening Ceremony to loud pro-Canada cheers just like the Team GB video two years later led by flagbearer Sir Chris Hoy in London that I showed you. Actually I don't recall the Canadian Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium being with this, but it would be a great moment to see from them. Like the London one, this was recorded by a volunteer. Come to think of it, those two videos might have inspired broadcasters like NBC to be with the athletes down at the bowels of the stadium waiting their turn and then marching at Sochi Fisht Olympic Stadium during the OC (and coming up with them with their video cameras like they're actually emerging from the nation):

Ireland's Augustinian Choir, made of 30 girls and 13 boys, performing in Dusseldorf's Rheinstadion at the Euro 88 Opening Ceremony before West Germany and Italy singing an old Irish song with a preceeding good luck message from then-alltime Irish goalscorer Don Givens. Each nation's choir sang a song repping the style of the nation in the OC. In this case, it's youngest of all the groups. Followed by a RTE News report on the Augustinian Choir traveling to Dusseldorf:

• 3 weeks later...

A few days ago, the Winter Universiade in Granada started - and be prepared for the most understated opening ceremony in the history of multi-sports events. ;) Granada seems to have invented the invisible flame as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLyeIxh0zFA

Wait, those first minutes of that video are the opening ceremony??? You're joking right???

THAT WAS BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!

Why did they bother? What was the invisible flame? Couldn't they afford a singer, or some stage lighting.......

Why bother to put one on man what a complete Joke of it the athletes like just walk in and out in a min. I would not have called it a high school show but a screw all show.

• Like 1

Well, to be fair, the Trentino 2013 ceremony was also kind of godawful although at least made on a public square and with a bit more of creativity, but still. And that Universiade was also marred with issues (Maribor was supossed to be the host but resigned at last minute, giving Trentino less than a year to prepare)

Last massive Winter Universiade opening we got was Erzurum (Turkey) in 2011, made by the group Anatolia Fire, then again Turkey always put a good show.

Why bother to put one on man what a complete Joke of it the athletes like just walk in and out in a min. I would not have called it a high school show but a screw all show.

And Granada is one of the most beautiful and magical little cities in Europe. It has a marvellous town square surrounded by cafes and bars. Why didn't they just march the teams into the town square, raise the flags, set off a few fireworks from the walls and Alhambra above, and have free concert - all open to the public?

They should have consulted us first!!!

What a horrible excuse for an opening ceremony! Looks more a barely glorified press conference or college lecture. Only good thing was the mountain goat mascot happily hugging and bouncing up and down with a couple of Spanish Winter Universiade athletes like the team just won a championship when Spain arrived.

What a horrible excuse for an opening ceremony! Looks more a barely glorified press conference or college lecture. Only good thing was the mountain goat mascot happily hugging and bouncing up and down with a couple of Spanish Winter Universiade athletes like the team just won a championship when Spain arrived.

And to think that the closing ceremony is to take place in the exact same venue as well. Pitiful.

• Like 1

The basketball/ice hockey arena is where the closing ceremony will be. Better hope for better execution and attendance. Baron is right about the hockey attendance there at the Palacio Municipal de Deportes de Granada, former home of now-defunct CB Granada Basketball, perhaps showing why it was held at the Palais De Congress Hall. On the other hand, ice hockey is such a very minor sport in Spain. Even Tuscon had a minor league hockey franchise (the Scorch, which didn't last long). And the University of Arizona is working on varsity hockey program.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that, Ikarus360. though i did notice among many things that we don't get to see Colombia march after Canada.

Poor sound mixing as far as that goes that needs to be corrected before uploading. Am I missing something with the following? Because I swear there was that DJ KTO electronica afterparty segment with all the athletes coming from the stands dancing to his music/playlist when I last watched this months ago. Did the Olympic media omit it this time or did we only get to watch the version from the VGTRK Rossiya channels featuring Dmitri Guberniev? Nice to see the Sochi 2014 action montage at the beginning.

Since we're talking about Sochi 2014's ceremonies and VGTRK, I can bring you the return of that mirror/mascot closing segment that was part of the full one that ends of course with the Bear reluctantly blowing out the flame to officially close the Games after being goaded by the snow leopard, since the full versions of both apparently omitted from Youtube after the arrival the official ones. this comes specifically under the Sport 1 channel from the RTR family.

The full Russian broadcasts of both Sochi 2014 ceremonies themselves are now on YouTube. But they come from Channel One's production, not VGTRK/RTR, and without the commentaries.

Guys, after many years, finally someone has uploaded a ceremony which I longed to watch for a long time. Mauricio Morales has uploaded both the opening and closing ceremonies of the 1991 Pan Am Games in Havana, Cuba. I hope you enjoy it :)

:o ITS FINALLY UPLOADED!!! Can't wait to watch it!

Am re-watching the Barcelona Opening Ceremonies from Spain's TVE and its Catalan TV3 Canal Olimpico along with that of the newly-installed Televisa from Mexico, which is actually more complete in its airing of the Parade of Nations with no interruptions. Even the host Spanish/Catalan broadcasts couldn't leave it alone.

Omitted from TVE 3's Olympic Channel during the first commercial break during the Parade Of Nations: Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bermuda, Bhutan (formally but you do see a shot of them marching in their national dress after the Brazilians come in), and Bolivia (ditto in a subsequent close-up shot after the Bulgarians after being formally introduced).

Omiitted during the second break: Fiji and Finland--France was nicely shown after its entrance was well underway back from break

(not shown due to footage of the Olympic torch lighting at Barcelona City Hall and making its way through the downtown Barcelona to Montjuic Olympic Stadium) Madagascar (quick shot of the delegation marching after the Malta enters and before the Moroccans enter) , Malawi, Malaysia, and Maldives (quick shot of its athletes at back end when the scene shifts back to Montjuic before going to the Malians

Omitted during the third and final break: Togo (fades and goes to break right as they enter), Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turkey, Tunisia, Uruguay (did show its flagbearer sailor Ricardo Fabiani already walking on the track), Vanuatu, Venezuela (seen at times afterwards but not as formally introduced), US Virgin Islands (showed the last two teams seemingly mixed together with the US Virgin Islands team in greater focus)

Omitted from TVE 2 during its first commercial break: doesn't get to the beginning of Team USA's entrance because of the live footage of the Olympic Torch's relay final leg out from the City Hall, Ethiopia (heard being introduced through the PA system but not seen), Fiji, Finland (seems TVE doesn't like that nation, just kidding), France (couple of quick shots after Gabon--even less than TV3's Canal Olimpico did, surely there were some complaints about not showing them adequately)

Omitted from TVE 2 during its second commercial break/VIP interview: Israel (VIP box interview), Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Chinese Taipei (Taiwan), Tanzania, Czechoslovakia (subsequent shots of athletes and flagbearer), Chad (flagbearer shown later)

Very much TVE utilized the exact same camera usage, likely from the IOC's RTO 92 feed, unless it used its own cameras for it.

Let me amend what I just said about Televisa's Opening Ceremony broadcast: Monaco, Mongolia (though it showed a wrestling-looking athlete in national dress). Mozambique weren't shown as much if at all so that Televisa can show more footage of the Jesus Mena-led Mexican delegation (you can tell by the usage of the camera and different color tintage compared to the RTO feed used). So it wasn't quite complete at all there as I presumed it was.