Ceremonies on UTube, Pt 2

baron-pierreIV

At last! At long last! The Los Angeles Summer Olympics 1984 Opening Ceremony is now fully up without having to see just segments and highlights thanks to, who else aptly named SpiritOf84 who recorded it on Knoxville's ABC affiliate WATE 6 TV! Just in time for the 30th anniversary (can you really believe that it's THAT long) All live from ABC with Jim McKay and Peter Jennings (RIP to both) on that Saturday afternoon from Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum--even with the commercials to look back on. Did you even notice that Brooke Shields, Kirk Douglas (in a Seattle Mariners baseball cap) and Linda Evans were also in attendance? Maybe we could see full non-American broadcasts later. Great time to dedicate this to Todd/LA84!

The Introduction, Fanfare, Welcome, Reagan's, Samaranch's and Ueberroth's Arrival, and the Star-Spangled Banner. I wonder is this the only time we got the Olympic rings made of balloons. Oh yeah, there's Jet Man Bill Suitor that a certain fictional NCIS(?) character became infatuated with since:

It's that marching band again! :) They're definitely good! After that we get to see the artistic presentation that the marching band formed (continental) America with the pioneer days with manifest destiny going on. Aaron Copeland is all over this:

Looking at the LA and earlier the Moscow countdowns now on YouTube pretty much set the template for the countdowns to come with progressively greater sophistication and use of rapidly-developing technology, starting in the 1990s when the countdowns because standard. Church bells ringing (or the Kremlin in Moscow's case) to open the Games was where that ended. Really liked the Flower Girls. Nobody else had that. Brooke's mom humorously acting like Richard Nixon with the double peace signs. Well, the Pioneer Land Rush actually and obviously went eastward because of the way how the Coliseum was configured for the ceremonies, so it can't really be west. Doesn't matter. And yeah, all the music is American with a few of the numbers later used by United Airlines and American Beef Council. Fanfare from the marching band playing the Fanfare For the Common Man was great but they weren't as frequent as their Moscow counterparts. But they didn't need to be; they were their own band, certainly like with Sydney 16 years later.

Then came the jazz, big band, and swing era medley of the big hits back then from the 1984 Olympics All American Marching Band (from earlier on this thread uploaded by someone else and for consistency)

When I first saw the Los Angeles Olympics, I was first struck by how incredibly colorful the whole look of the Olympic Games were there in comparison

to the past Olympic file footage shown on TV. The lighter colors like sky blue, orange, fuschia, some teal, and aqua at all the Olympic venues obviously stood it out. 84 Kimball baby grand pianos for 84 male Gershwins in Gershwin medley tribute

Apparently that Etta James "When the Saints Go Marching In" bit when it arrived upon her death from cancer is now pulled from YouTube, hopefully that'll return when SpiritOf84 eventually comes to it.

Los Angeles' Opening Ceremony entertainment segment concludes with a salute to Broadway musical showtunes from A Chorus Line and Fame with some Michael Jackson incorporated into this (when he was, of course, at the zenith of his incredible fame thanks to Thriller) with volunteering local drill teams from all across the Greater Los Angeles area, who practiced both at El Segundo High (30 minutes away from the LA Coliseum) and at the Los Angeles Coliseum from June almost daily from early in the morning to into the evening for no compensation. All then culminating with the All-American Olympic Marching Band returning to help form the (continental) United States performing America The Beautiful with choir singing it to a standing ovation.

And now the moment in this OC we all have been definitely waiting for on YouTube, including yours truly...the fuller presentation of the Los Angeles 1984 Parade of Nations and Athletes. I never seen this since. Just about every nation that didn't boycott got some face time and was never omitted--though there were some nations that got omitted, as you'll later find out. You will also see the rousing ovations from the crowd to historic Summer Olympic debut of the People's Republic of China upon entering--and it would have gotten one in Moscow four years earlier had it not boycotted--and Romania defying the Warsaw Pact and came to LA, and Yugoslavia got a nice ovation. Chinese Taipei didn't march next to the Chinese. Many smaller nations made their debut here to nice applause. Looking at it now, this ABC coverage of it is interesting for several reasons: First, the graphics centering on the nations focused on the nations/territories' location and size and a specific comparable area within the US and of revealing the potential medal contenders list for particular nations, as well as the usual ID'ing of the flagbearers and number of athletes in many cases. Not all nations got that treatment in the former here. NBC does get into the nations' area but never the US size comparison or medal contenders. Unlike in later Olympics that NBC shows, ABC's cameras tended to largely avoid being at track level and not being very close with the athletes. Atmosphere I noticed here seems more laid back with more people in the stands who can easily afford the tickets, like those from various nations who happen to live in LA) and less shots of national Olympic reps at the VIP areas waving at their respective teams. Another thing, you won't see commercials on the Olympic broadcasts these days that are not coming from Olympic sponsors like Pizza Hut or Northwest Mutual Life. When the Americans marched, there was a lot of enthusiasm.

Nowdays, the placards and flags for each nation and territory since 1992 would both be submitted upon after marching and placed in a designated area at the stadium. Sure they are some commercial breaks but they are brief. There's even a couple of ABC News Briefs with Sam Donaldson, one of which detailed David Lee Young's angry car accident at a crowded sidewalk in West Los Angeles the night before injuring many (like a member of the marching band) and killed one teen. Steven Spielberg talking with Donna de Verona was interesting. Serenaded by John Williams' 1984 Los Angeles Olympic theme score that nowdays is recognizable whenever NBC uses it for its Olympic broadcasts since acquiring its rights. Nations that were omitted in the ABC broadcast march: Guinea, Guyana, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Kenya, Malaysia (was announced on the PA system), Mali, Malta, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, San Marino (announced on PA system), Senegal, Seychelles, Singapore, Western Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tanzania (announced), Thailand, Togo, US Virgin Islands, North Yemen, and Zaire

Thanks Durban, this made my day.

One thing I happened to notice was that Andorra's flagbearer Joan Tomas, also was their flagbearer in 2012 (at age 61).

I miss the ceremonies with the orchestra playing during the parade as opposed to all the tecno and dance music they have used lately (except Torino which I loved since I'm addicted to disco).

Really the only OCs I need to see yet are Montreal (an original broadcast, not the dubbed over one seen on Youtube) and Sarajevo.

Thanks Durban, this made my day.

One thing I happened to notice was that Andorra's flagbearer Joan Tomas, also was their flagbearer in 2012 (at age 61).

I miss the ceremonies with the orchestra playing during the parade as opposed to all the tecno and dance music they have used lately (except Torino which I loved since I'm addicted to disco).

Really the only OCs I need to see yet are Montreal (an original broadcast, not the dubbed over one seen on Youtube) and Sarajevo.

Glad I did for you! :D

Maybe it's generational. I guess the use of techno and dance music has more to do with attracting the younger fans and the rise of social media, who are more receptive to this and likely requested it. There's still a useful place for marching bands and orchestras in Olympic ceremonies and other related ones.

Do hope for full Sarejevo and Montreal ones too.

Great to see those videos finally up on YouTube. Although I have difficulties finding the continuity between those individual clips. It's hard to tell which segment followed which and which parts are missing so far. Probably that "SpiritOf84" guy would have done himself and us a favour if he had simply uploaded the complete ceremony as entire video. But I won't complain. ;)

In the video of the end of the entertainment segment - isn't that Cary Grant at 2:21? Jim McKay and Peter Jennings didn't point him out in their commentary, but probably they overlooked him and weren't cued from their control room either.

Other things I noticed:

• The discipline with which many teams still carried out the parade of nations, while one could detect first signs of today's very informal "Hey, let's hop and jump and stroll into the stadium" style; the best example for the discipline of the "older days" was how Japan entered the stadium, parading in order and with the Japanese flag demonstratively dipped towards the VIP box
  • The emotional and proud moment when they performed "America The Beautiful" at the very end of the entertainment segment and the stadium audience joined in the singing - I didn't know that they did that, nice spontaneous moment!
  • The colourfulness and high entertainment factor of the ceremony. While some technical elements and especially the fact that they performed the whole ceremony on that uncovered athletics field appear old-fashioned to us today, segments like the stunning marching band choreography would probably still amaze a 2014 audience. Not to forget the iconic "Rhapsody in Blue" segment - I think that a 2014 audience would still gasp as soon as those 84 grand pianos are rolled out. That shows how iconic and timeless LA's opening ceremony actually was already, at least in some regards.
  • And while I usually enjoy Jim McKay's competent comments in such videos, he really had some difficulties being silent for more than a minute, right? ;) That showed at the start of the marching band segment, when Peter Jennings actually advised McKay and himself to listen silently like the stadium workers did a couple of days before and McKay started talking again after just a few seconds. ;) I think that Brian Williams over at CBC did a better job in the ceremonial videos posted a few years ago by our friend Guardian: He really kept his mouth shut whenever this helped to grasp the atmosphere and reduced his commentary to the absolutely necessary.

However, I'm looking forward to the rest of the clips of the LA opening! It truly was a memorable one, and together with Moscow's, a landmark for how opening ceremonies are produced these days.

• Like 1

Great to see those videos finally up on YouTube. Although I have difficulties finding the continuity between those individual clips. It's hard to tell which segment followed which and which parts are missing so far. Probably that "SpiritOf84" guy would have done himself and us a favour if he had simply uploaded the complete ceremony as entire video. But I won't complain. ;)

In the video of the end of the entertainment segment - isn't that Cary Grant at 2:21? Jim McKay and Peter Jennings didn't point him out in their commentary, but probably they overlooked him and weren't cued from their control room either.

Other things I noticed:

• The discipline with which many teams still carried out the parade of nations, while one could detect first signs of today's very informal "Hey, let's hop and jump and stroll into the stadium" style; the best example for the discipline of the "older days" was how Japan entered the stadium, parading in order and with the Japanese flag demonstratively dipped towards the VIP box
  • The emotional and proud moment when they performed "America The Beautiful" at the very end of the entertainment segment and the stadium audience joined in the singing - I didn't know that they did that, nice spontaneous moment!
  • The colourfulness and high entertainment factor of the ceremony. While some technical elements and especially the fact that they performed the whole ceremony on that uncovered athletics field appear old-fashioned to us today, segments like the stunning marching band choreography would probably still amaze a 2014 audience. Not to forget the iconic "Rhapsody in Blue" segment - I think that a 2014 audience would still gasp as soon as those 84 grand pianos are rolled out. That shows how iconic and timeless LA's opening ceremony actually was already, at least in some regards.
  • And while I usually enjoy Jim McKay's competent comments in such videos, he really had some difficulties being silent for more than a minute, right? ;) That showed at the start of the marching band segment, when Peter Jennings actually advised McKay and himself to listen silently like the stadium workers did a couple of days before and McKay started talking again after just a few seconds. ;) I think that Brian Williams over at CBC did a better job in the ceremonial videos posted a few years ago by our friend Guardian: He really kept his mouth shut whenever this helped to grasp the atmosphere and reduced his commentary to the absolutely necessary.

However, I'm looking forward to the rest of the clips of the LA opening! It truly was a memorable one, and together with Moscow's, a landmark for how opening ceremonies are produced these days.

No, it was Kirk Douglas. Jim McKay erroneously called him Cary Grant initially. But he quickly identified him as Kirk.

You're right. I too have had some difficulty in figuring out the right sequence in this Opening Ceremony. And I agree, SpiritOf84 would do not just us but all YouTube viewers a major favor in just giving us the whole OC and maybe the CC when he eventually gets to it and studies the others to see which ones need to be viewed in their entirties before uploading. Maybe since several segments are already there, perhaps he feels he'll just install major missing parts and leave it at that. On the other hand, again perhaps not a lot of people are aware of the proper sequence.

Did notice the transition from formality to exuberant informality in the athletes marching. I think LA was the start of that of what we all see today, perhaps reflective as part of the brand new era and being the propserous one since Montreal and Moscow when we start spotting casual wear like with Team USA marching and the Aussies and not a lot of national dress; many nations' reps were still in their suits and ties. As for Japan, its disciplined formalities here are indeed very much part of its culture and society. Japan is rather very slow to embrace change partly out of fear of losing order, but even the Japanese eventually got with the program and became more informal, albeit slowly (look at what they wore down in Sydney). Not surprisingly, the change has obviously produced some social anxieties.

America The Beautiful rendition was great just for its spontaneity. When the Olympics are held in LA, unique color combinations, glitz, and glamour will definitely not be that far away. Actually innately with this being Los Angeles. All that were among of the things instantly making it iconically and timelessly stand out to this day, even when I first watched this as my first Summer Olympics. It influenced the whole look of the Olympics since and we talk about them with each here on these threads. The 84 pianos and players surely help make it memorable.

I haven't seen this since 1984, but was I was stunned at how much talking Jim McKay did during this and had Peter Jennings gently goad him to be quiet but only briefly. In fairness, there were TV viewers at the time who didn't know about the Olympic Hymn lyrics so he had to guide them on it. Now with the Internet, anyone could grab at a moments' notice to read.

Found a Japanese NHK montage with a brief (and not entire) snippet of Peter Ueberroth's speech as LAOOC organizing chair in front of the athletes at the 2:27 mark after all the athletes' marched. But JAS' is missing. Would like to see both again in full.

We've had this a couple of years ago. But since we're talking about Los Angeles again at the 30th anniversary, it's worth viewing again how Edwin Moses struggled with the Athletes' Oath. I never seen this happen with the athletes' and judges' versions (and now with the coaches added since 2012). Happens to the best of us. I might have stumbled too out of nerves but the words eventually come even when the athletes shout it out loudly to you. Jim McKay took the right attitude here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnTFBFd4pcU

Jim McKay was like a hyperactive child whenever the Olympics came around and I think it was infectious. Looking back, he did seem to talk way too much but back then we had nothing to compare him with. He was Mr. Olympics and just having him on our TVs every night for two weeks was special (of course, I grew up in a four channel, no cable home so having sports on every day for two weeks was truly special). I think it is why it took awhile to get used to NBC broadcasting the summer Games, especially with the haughty I'm superior in intellect to you attitude of Bryant Gumbel in 1988 and Bob Costas, who did well in 1992 but has become increasingly smarmy as time has passed.

Athletes, coaches, officials getting down with America's diverse array of dancers like the Hawaiians and native American tribes during the Opening Ceremonies in Los Angeles just before the Reach Out and Touch finale. Getting a nice little advanced warmup towards the Closing and Lionel Ritchie. You'll notice the Peruvian athletes' scenes. That's because it was taken from Peru's America TV (ATV-Canal 9)

Nanjing 2014 Youth Summer Olympic Games Opening Ceremony world feed is now up. Interesting the Parade of Nations went with the French language instead of the Chinese and all the YOG athletes were at the stands so they can see everything with just the flagbearers and placard holders marching. Seems like it got the same Chinese PA man from Beijing. But, perhaps learning from Beijing's big brother version in 2008, it's not as soulless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4TVuScAMPY

Which is the BEST thing about the YOG OC's. Forget the damn athletes. They just take up time and space!! :lol:

Why don;t they just do that have them setted before and do the parade of nations flags and then have the Athletes stand up for an few mins in the future we can get through that part in like under 50 mins for the Summer Games and 20 mins for the Winter Games, Very much like Nanjing ceremony get all the boring stuff done 1st then all the amazing culture stuff after it just leading up for the big finale.

• Like 1

Parade of Nations IS the core of the Ceremony - without it an opening ceremony would be utterly soulless. If it bores you - then thats your problem. Its a sports event, not Disney's Fantasia.

Have about 5 mins of the ceremony having cameras all over them athletes in the stands at the Opening Ceremony at the Closing Ceremony of Barcelona 1992 and Atlanta 1996 they had the athletes in the stands.

Parade of Nations IS the core of the Ceremony - without it an opening ceremony would be utterly soulless. If it bores you - then thats your problem. Its a sports event, not Disney's Fantasia.

BLASPHEMY!! Never heard of such a thing!! :blink:

But that would mean the lack of the athletes' big entrance, or more importantly having to sacrifice 15,000 seats for them which would have otherwise been for Ceremony ticket holders. Unless of course there's already a dedicated seated area for them.

Then, they shouldn't even seat them. Just let them march in from one entrance, pass the Tribune of Honor, then out. Have only 5 reps from each country take a seat. That way, only 1,000 paid seats are sacrificed. Send the athletes back to the staging area. That's what Big Screens are for!! B)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Have about 5 mins of the ceremony having cameras all over them athletes in the stands at the Opening Ceremony at the Closing Ceremony of Barcelona 1992 and Atlanta 1996 they had the athletes in the stands.

Unless you are mistaken about their staging areas, the athletes were not not in the stands, they marched out and stood in the field, like they always do at Summer Olympics. Atlanta's was longer because they arrived by the top and not at field level, with slightly poor organization, the athletes did not march consistently and in some areas there were huge gaps in the marching order.

Unless you are mistaken about their staging areas, the athletes were not not in the stands, they marched out and stood in the field, like they always do at Summer Olympics. Atlanta's was longer because they arrived by the top and not at field level, with slightly poor organization, the athletes did not march consistently and in some areas there were huge gaps in the marching order.

I was talking about the closing ceremonies of Barcelona and Atlanta games the athletes were setted in the stands.

^^ But you also mentioned the Opening Ceremony. That's what made things a little confusing. The Closing Ceremony is always lesser than the Opening One. Especially if they (the organizers) thought it would never sell out anyways, then they could have afforded to allocate some seating for the athletes.

• Like 1