Ceremonies on UTube, Pt 2

baron-pierreIV

Awesome - probably the best opening ceremony in recent times! Makes me want to go to Australia!

Oops, I meant "closing ceremony"! But yeah, applies to both ceremonies, really!

Awesome - probably the best opening ceremony in recent times! Makes me want to go to Australia!

Oops, I meant "closing ceremony"! But yeah, applies to both ceremonies, really!

Liked both Sydney Ceremonies and the lawnmower man scene at the beginning is always my favourite part!

Alright, thanks for that full Seven Network Sydney Closing Ceremony DaneSwan36! :) Definitely one of the best CC around! I do wish that Seven had that lawnmower comedy segment with people chasing and ultimately nabbing him prior to the actual start. That captured that irreverent Australian humour the nation is known for I had assumed it did until now. As far as I know, only the CBC showed that. And now that's apparently gone from YouTube. Makes you wish Warner Vision Australia brought forth the DVD to this like the Opening Ceremony

Somebody in Youtube has uploaded the whole opening and closing ceremonies of the 1983 Pan American Games, which were celebrated at my hometown of Caracas. Back when we were in a much better situation than today (how I wish those days were back...)

They copied the Moscow 1980 model (like most ceremonies did back then) but it still had some memorable moments

Some curious facts: They used the Montreal 1976 version of the Olympic Anthem on it and the olympic flag was raised by Samaranch himself (and it also had wrong proportions :lol: )

Another bizarre thing is that they announced at 1:28:40 in the first video, shortly after the cauldron was lit, that Chile just had withdrawn from hosting the next Pan American Games in 1987 and that Ecuador had been named the next host. What a nice timing. ;) Even nicer was that Ecuador had to withdraw to, with Indianapolis being the final host for 1987.

No, that was also shown on ZDF. And I suppose that other international TV channels showed it, too - just like Seven probably did, but it's just not included in that YouTube clip.

Unless an Australian here can confirm that Seven did televise the lawnmower scene at the beginning for the CC or prior to it, I'll hold my doubts on Seven. I know NBC didn't show it at all. Thanks for letting me know that ZDF did. On that note, we would like to know who else showed it besides the CBC and ZDF. TVNZ, BBC, NHK, and SuperSport, perhaps?

Unless an Australian here can confirm that Seven did televise the lawnmower scene at the beginning for the CC or prior to it, I'll hold my doubts on Seven. I know NBC didn't show it at all. Thanks for letting me know that ZDF did. On that note, we would like to know who else showed it besides the CBC and ZDF. TVNZ, BBC, NHK, and SuperSport, perhaps?

Yes, I remember watching it - and I've never seen the Sydney CC since the actual event, so 7 must have shown it.

Another point about the Lawnmower segment - it included Ric Birch himself and a return, via brief glimpse, of the infamous Roos from the handover in Atlanta.

Edited by Sir Rols

For those wanting to see the lawnmower scene that was before the official start to the Sydney CC, here it is again coming from CBC Sports with Ron McLean and Terry Leibel that was posted earlier. Setting the informal tone to the Closing Ceremony, it's officially called "Organized Chaos" with the guy, a notable Aussie comedian Neill Gladwin, actually on the quad bike being chased, and ultimately confronted, by participants mostly from the Opening Ceremony like the 270 members of the marching band, the three Sydney mascots (Ollie, Millie, and Syd), 40 stunt kids, 1500 local Sydney school children, and 310 "miscellenous others". That had to been lots of fun to participate in!

The Organized Chaos segment, at least the last portion of it with the said ultimate confrontation, apparently was going on as Seven broadcasted its Closing Ceremony sponsors and intro, which you'll see below. It seemed to me when Seven after the intro cut to Stadium Australia, the Closing Ceremony countdown was about to start with the field already just cleared. It felt that wasn't really part of the main ceremony as a prelude. The CBC by contrast stayed at Stadium Australia after that lawnmower scene as the video above proves to the countdown kicking off the CC. Sir Rols just pointed out that Seven did show it. Would like to see the Seven commentary for it.

By the way, Ansett Australia from the Seven intro still exists with its website still up. It just doesn't fly anymore since 2002

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH1V3sznFc4

Further information emerges about the Sydney 2000 lawnmower scene, aka Orgainzed Chaos. As Sir Rols confirms and later SydneyNYEFans from You Tube who posted the full Closing Ceremony, the lawnmower scene was televised on Seven. SydneyNYEFans told fellow You Tube poster NirjanDeSilva yesterday that he (or she) has the first half of it from Seven with the rest from the CBC. SydneyNYEFans notes the video quality, announcers, and the TV screen graphics difference between Seven and the CBC. Looking forward to what the first portion Seven has.

Some thoughts about Sydney. Notice that Seven didn't even at once at all attempted talking to any of the athletes on the field during the festivites like NBC did. Nor did Seven Bruce McAveney and Gary Wilkinson speak much at all. NBC did speak for example to Thorpedo backstage right before the start of the CC with Andrea Joyce and was about to carry the Australian flag onto Stadium Australia. I don't recall NBC showing the iconic and colorful lifesavers, notably from Bondi Beach's, that had Kylie Minouge on the thong sandal as the adult Nikki Webster (I'm sure Seven's cameras and some Australian guys watching on TV got nice upskirt shot of her world-famous butt while on the surfboard being carried by those lifeguards to the stage as she knelt down on it). NBC only played her later performance "On a Night Like This". NBC was never this extensive on the Aussie Icon segment, which seems now that I finally saw Seven's airing, chopped up a bit and sped up instead of letting it naturally take its course. Nor was NBC this extensive with the fireworks finale stretching from Homebush, where Stadium Australia, the Sydney Superdome (now Acer Arena), the Acquatic Centre, and The Dome, to the CBD to the Sydney Harbour--still the best Olympic fireworks display ever IMHO. Reporter Harry Smith, at NBC that time before returning to CBS, was there at the Sydney Harbour by the Bridge to cover that portion but NBC did not really stay for the full end. Have seen parts of this ceremony when they are on You Tube, just not in full until now.

Also spotted former Mental As Anything member Reg Mombassa's inflated irreverent and cartoonish artwork that you have seen on his surfwear apparel during the Aussie music segment.

A video which shows a recopilation of the 1974 Asian Games in Tehran (back when the Shah and company were still arround and Iran was not a backwards nation). It contains excerpts of the opening ceremony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld6OnnIFxhk&feature=player_embedded

Also, a very rare 11 minute footage of the 1991 Mediterranean Games opening in Athens. The complete parade of nations and raising of the Mediterranean Games flag

A report on the celebrations of the 25th Anniversary of the 1987 Pan Am Games in Indianapolis. Contains excerpts of the opening ceremony. Oddly enough, the marching order seemed to have been done in the spanish language instead of the english.

Thanks for that, have only seen broadcasts of that handover where they have switched footage to somewhere else halfway through.

Now that's how to do a well produced handover, not some hodge podge mixture of as much culture as possible put to some disjointed soundtrack.

I have started uploading the closing ceremonies of Nagano 1998. Sadly I don't have the beggining and the entrance of the athletes, but I do have all the rest of it (if anyone can help me with the missing parts I would be eternaly grateful)

Part 2 is the Salt Lake City 2002 handover which I uploaded last year.

I found the closing ceremony quite beautiful, the stadium with the kagaribi bonfires really do come into its own in the evening, as opposed to the day time opening ceremony.

Anri's performance of Furusato with the lanterns was really quite lovely.

^^ Shrek/Baron olympics are more than ceremonies yo-bah, why I even bother arguing with you... <_<

I found the closing ceremony quite beautiful, the stadium with the kagaribi bonfires really do come into its own in the evening, as opposed to the day time opening ceremony.

Anri's performance of Furusato with the lanterns was really quite lovely.

This is one of those olympics on which I prefered the closing over the opening, and I agree it was more entertaining and spectacular (wait until I upload the fireworks segment) Last time that happened for me was in Torino 2006.

^^ Shrek/Baron olympics are more than ceremonies yo-bah, why I even bother arguing with you... <_<

Don't you think U know that. But if they are all going to deliver the Games' end right, therefore, really, the only difference is who can present the BEST ceremonies...and Japan, because of their more Asian culture, will of course, present the more boring shows. It's what separates the chaff from the grain---that's all I'm saying.