Ceremonies on UTube, Pt 2

baron-pierreIV

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17q9x_new-order-true-faith_music

Not ceremony stuff but this music video was directed by Philipe Decoufle (the guy behind Albertville ceremonies). He reused some themes of this musical vid later at the Albertville ceremonies.

Also that song recently became infamous because it was used by Luka Magnotta during his hideous murder act.

The latest work of Filmmaster Events (aka K-Events) and Marco Balich, the opening ceremony of the Euro 2012 in Warsaw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr61AKCOLnU&hd=1

Since they will also make the Rio 2016 handover this august, I wonder if they might borrow some ideas from this :P

I liked this vid with the tv director of the 1986 Commonwealth Opening ceremony in Edinburgh. He gets very frustrated and does not like Prince Phillip lol

Was reading through this thread just for fun - and was amazed to find this. It really brought back memories.

I was one of the kids running through Holyrood Park and then one of the 'red' bits of the dove on the field. Watching the video suddenly brought back the words of the song and the actions; I guess they really did drill them into us! It's also one of the only times I actually recall seeing the end result since the VCR tape got chewed up shortly afterwards.

Thanks Ikarus - that's really brought a smile to my face. Ah - smile with us, run with us, a smile will brighten your day! Although I seem to recall that the coolest thing about it at the time (back in 1986) was that we all got a pair of Nike Air trainers that were still relatively new and cool!

Am involved in the Opening and Closing ceremonies of London 2012 and let's just say that the scale of organisation is somewhat different, technology has moved on a lot from 'lift up a velcro flap at the back of the person in front's tracksuit' and my excitement factor is off the scale!

• 2 weeks later...

Liked that original high school/college-like marching band performing at the Opening Ceremony from Los Angeles 1984 some time ago? Well, they're back! This time, this massive collective All-American Marching Band plays some famous big band swing tunes like Swing Swing Swing and In The Mood in the Swing Era Medley taken from this Dutch telecast. Let more memories continue to wash over you. And the full 1984 LA OC still is not there on YouTube.

Got an update about Balanced Australia's restoration project of the 1980 Moscow Olympics Opening Ceremony using the Seven Network's live telecast. He hit a snag which explains why there wasn't a video from him for the last few months on part 3. Right now, he has installed a temporary Part 3 in the hopes of filling it up at a later time with a lot of the 81 nations that marched missing--he indicated from the beginning that for the OC 5% of it is such. Some, as I indicated earlier like Belgium did not march at all at Luzhniki (formerly Lenin) Olympic Stadium, while several others like Burma, Afghanistan, and Denmark are barely seen and not shown marching prominently (from a distance) or not shown at all due to commercial breaks. Furthermore, some of the nations marching you may have already seen on the official Moscow film like Benin, Afghanistan, Zimbabwe, Spain, India, Poland, and New Zealand. I have managed to find and post some footage of teams here coming from vintage news reports back in 1980 that aren't on Balanced Australia's videos like Cuba. I do remember seeing years ago on 60 Minutes footage of North Korean athletes entering Lenin Stadium. Surely, fuller video footage exists somewhere, even if nobody else recorded the Moscow Opening Ceremony down in Australia. So he's asking for your help. Maybe he should even, I recommend, ask if Seven still doesn't have the archival video, which I think is buried somewhere. Furthermore in my recommendation to him is head over to the likes of SVT, BBC, RAI, France TV (then Antenna TV), RTVE, ERT, TVP, Televisa, Schweizer Fernsehen, YLE, RTE, and Magyar Televizio, if not Perviy Kanal, which inherits what TV-CCCP did. Good luck to him in finding and recovering the lost footage--it just will take a while. Following video is the list of missing nation in what he has set to Soviet sports music. If you can help him in this by contacting him on YouTube, I'm sure he'll appreciate that. I wish I could.

Question becomes will the IOC, through its OTAB, issue the whole ceremony eventually and thus upsurp Balanced Australia?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A new treat - the almost complete opening ceremony of the Montreal 1976 Games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZqPL9FOHI0&feature=player_embedded

What is interesting is that around the 11:40 mark, you'll see a second cauldron being lit near the cross on top of Mont Royal -- probably by the same two torchbearers who later lit the cauldron inside the stadium. So Vancouver wasn't the first host city having a (so-to-speak) an indoor plus an outdoor cauldron!

Also, take note of the loooong awkward pause between the announcement that Greece would lead the parade of nations and the actual start of the parade.

The thing with the two cauldrons in Montreal is also mentioned here: http://www.parcolympique.qc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/A_jeux_olympiques_1976.pdf

I just watched the whole video. They had remarkably many long pauses in the ceremony. It was a different time, I guess -- although Munich's opening ceremony four years before seemed to go much smoother and shorter transitions between the different segments.

They broadcast the Montreal opening ceremony also a few weeks before the Sydney 2000 Games on German TV -- and I remember the German commentator of the original 1976 broadcast complaining several times that Munich's opening ceremony had been much more enthusiastic and especially the music for the parade of nations had been much more innovative, joyous and impressive. I think he was right. But nevertheless, Montreal also was quite innovative with the orchestral piece for the dance segment of the "youth of Canada". It already sounded quite a lot like the typical pieces of pompous orchestral music we've heard at the more lavish and elaborate opening ceremonies of later Games.

And who's to blame the Montreal audience that they didn't create the same festive atmosphere as the Munich audience of 1972? Those were serious times: The fear of another terrorist attack loomed over the Games (and therefore, security was strict), they had to celebrate in an unfinished stadium with a crane on top of its half-finished tower and the Games were hit by a boycott of 28 African nations.

Apart from that -- what was also interesting about this video: Edwin Moses apparently wasn't the first one who forgot his lines for the Olympic Oath. It was very hard to watch that poor judge struggling with the French plus the English version of his oath!

^^ I agree with olympian. That long pause between the announcement of Greece leading the parade and the actual start of it seemed weird, like there were some technical problems or something :lol: There were some other pauses as well but not as long as that.

The music of the ceremonies (including the fanfares) were basically arranged versions of Andre Mathieu's compositions(the organizing comittee decided to use his musical works as inspiration for the songs of these olympics.) Those arrangements were done by Victor Vogel.

Wow, that was quite a find! I've always wanted to see the Montreal Opening Ceremony and FINALLY...there it is! But...wow. Things sure have come a long way since 1976. Those long pauses. That awkward silence before the Olympic flag was raised. All the 'cultural' stuff happening after the flame was lit. And 'O Canada' being performed twice. Well, it was the 1970s and Montreal basically followed the exact same protocol of the previous 10 Olympiads or so. However, I did learn a few things. I did not know that the Snowbirds (the synchronized aircraft team at the beginning) were there (they were also in Calgary), did not know that the 'Youth of Canada' segment was as long as it was (only ever saw a few photos of ribbon twirlers) and did not know that it was that sunny during the ceremony. Some of the photographs made it look a bit overcast. And those girls in the white dresses...OMG, so 1970s! Also of note, the thing I had always read - that Queen Elizabeth stood the whole time during the Athletes Parade as a gesture of greeting and welcome to the delegations - was indeed true! Still a great find here. Thanks for posting!

^^ Also Queen Elizabeth II will become soon the first head of state to open two summer olympics on his/her lifetime. I wonder if she'll be able to stand up much during the parade of nations next week (though she still looks energic for her age).

Btw, the user who uploaded the opening ceremonies of Montreal has also uploaded other ceremonies on his account. Here's wondering if he will put the LA'84 ceremonies.

Liz, like London itself, could be doing the job for the third time next week had she not opted to send Prince Philip to Melbourne in 1956. Anyone know her reason for not attending the Melbourne Games?

Was she pregnant with Andrew or Edward at the time? In any case, she would surpass Gloria Estefan as Queen of the Olympic Ceremonies having appeared in 4 Games (she was a guest at the 1956 Stockholm Opening) vs. Gloria Estefan's 3, and I've only seen Queen Sofia only appear in Barcelona and Atlanta. Don't know if she went to Sydney as well, and/or showed up for Lillehammer, Salt Lake, Torino or Vancouver. But she showed up for RSA WOrld Cup 2010 finals.

Good news everybody. It seems the user who uploaded the Montreal vid has a website called Olympic Ceremony. It says he will publish the LA'84 full opening ceremonies by tomorrow, so stay tunned :)

http://www.olympicce...CEREMONIES/cod0

Just went there to look at the 1984 video. Parts of it are just clips from 16 Days of Glory.