Ceremonies on UTube, Pt 2

baron-pierreIV

I'm surprised to see the BOA rep got any camera time at all. I remember seeing a news photograph showing a cameraman facing the crowd with his back turned towards the track as the flag went by the camera's position.

When i think of 1980, I think of really big flags. They look like you could pole vault with them.

A final note. Thanks to the boycott in 1980, Sochi 2014 will likely outnumber Moscow in terms of number of participating nations.

I understand that impression though with the amount of cameras and of that photo you mentioned. BOA Team Manager Dick Palmer was going to get the obligatory TV face time as the flag bearer, after all. But like I said, those close-ups would not get the Olympic flag. At a distance and in the background, yes. Just not front and center. Furthermore, of course, there weren't as many TV cameras and multiple angles like there certainly is nowdays. And the commercial breaks back then for the likes of Australia (or if it was also in the US or Canada had they not boycotted) were more excusable with no Internet alternate footage accessible or existing. Seven surely didn't do this for Sydney during the entire OC.

Yeah, those flags were huge back in Moscow especially with the poles.

I think I got the names of the Seven Network Opening and Closing Ceremonies commentary duo: Australian Team General Manager Ron Casey and commentator Peter Landry. Remember the end credits from the first batch of Seven's commentary of Moscow 1980 with Peter Allen's I Still Call Australia Home and of the fact they call the other Peter and Ron.

The intro entertainment stuff was pretty brief before the Parade of Nations in Moscow

Some footage of the Albertville 1992 closing ceremony - including the "angel" that blew out the Olympic Flame.

The clip is from the main news programme of the ARD, the Tagesschau, from Februar 23, 1992 - the closing night in Albertville. The clip starts at 11:57 minutes, and I hope that viewing is not restricted to Germany only.

http://www.tagesschau.de/multimedia/video/video1065486.html

^^ Thanks a lot for the Albertville clips. Hope they post more bits of the closing in the future (specially the fireworks part).

The guy in the top of the giant mast (which also served as the flagpole for the olympic flag) carrying the flag with him looked a bit like a scene of a pirate movie :lol:

• Like 1

i mean the full ceremony without the commercials

Well, our friend Guardian once had the complete (commercial-free) CBC coverage of the 1996 opening ceremony on Youtube and thought about re-uploading it a couple of months ago. Sadly, he seems to have dismissed that again.

• 3 weeks later...

Been over a month since Balanced Australia's last Moscow 1980 Opening Ceremony video from Channel 7's broadcast. He must have got caught up in other things or still tweaking it making sure it is of great quality before putting up the next installment; he could make things up by giving us two or three next time. As we wait, I just found a new Moscow 1980 video from the son of Harvey Nicholson, Mike. Harvey filmed this on Kodak Super 8 and narrates the Opening Ceremony and scenes from Moscow with lots of the Australian men 8+, women's 4+ and men's pair rowing competition footage in Moscow. Mike later edited this to a 2-hour movie and a 15-minute one here.

• 2 weeks later...

could someone update the opening ceremony of the 1996 olympics?

i think you could uploading the 1996 ceremonies now the reason couldn't because of the revenue deal that the U.S. Olympic Committee and the IOC were trying to set up over the last two years. the reason i say that now is because you can now view the entire opening and closing ceremony of the Vancouver games now on you tube.

I thought I'd ask this here instead of starting a thread - does anyone know the name of the music used during the Athens 2004 cauldron lighting?

It's the finale to Pirogov, by Shostakovich.

Reasonably easy to find, though the exact version used in the ceremony was arranged by John Psathas, and as far as I know, is not released.