Ceremonies on UTube, Pt 2

baron-pierreIV

I was actually in Cairo at that time (though not for the games, I didn't know they were on until I arrived). Yeah, the traffic was hell - but I didn't know if that was just normal, or a result of the event.

I must say, I remember the Egyptians did all seem to be watching them intently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q8cOonkgI4

Very strange jewel, an excerpt of the opening ceremony of the 1991 All Africa Games in Cairo, Egypt (when Mubarak still ruled Egypt)

Hmmmmm. Thanks, Jose. It's like they hired directors & choreographers from the Soviet bloc then and/or North Korea. It's soooooooo commie kitsch...even tho I know Mubarak was not a Soviet stooge.

Hmmmmm. Thanks, Jose. It's like they hired directors & choreographers from the Soviet bloc then and/or North Korea. It's soooooooo commie kitsch...even tho I know Mubarak was not a Soviet stooge.

Well that was the trend those days...Pan American Games, Mediterranean Games, Asian Games...they all tried to copy the commie style of ceremonies with those mass Calisthenics exercises and the card stunts. :lol:

Now today's trend are massive projections and almost no involvement of people like in the past (except for, maybe, Beijing 2008)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q8cOonkgI4

Very strange jewel, an excerpt of the opening ceremony of the 1991 All Africa Games in Cairo, Egypt (when Mubarak still ruled Egypt)

Finally had a chance to watch the whole thing. Odd that Samaranch wasn't there...but Jerry Seinfeld was (the singer!) :lol:

Too bad they didn't show the lighting of the cauldron. The pyramid would've been perfect for projections.

Some hours was the opening ceremony of the 2011 Arab Games, produced by David Atkins. The whole show is still not in Youtube but you can see the last segment here

Instead of building a LED screen, they turned the seats (and part of the ground) onto some kind of huge screen (similar to how the people was used as "screen" in Vancouver 2010 when they wore those white jackets below their seats)

PS: They reused some music tracks from the Doha 2006 OST :rolleyes: specially the fanfares and the parade of nations music

Living in BBC land, I always find it shocking when live opening ceremonies are interrupted by commercial breaks. I remember reading an article once about Latvian-Americans who had never seen the Latvian team enter since independence because it was always during a break and that year, whenever it was, was the first time that didn't happen.

Living in BBC land, I always find it shocking when live opening ceremonies are interrupted by commercial breaks. I remember reading an article once about Latvian-Americans who had never seen the Latvian team enter since independence because it was always during a break and that year, whenever it was, was the first time that didn't happen.

Latvian-Americans? How many? 3,000? How do you think the Tongans or the San Marinense-Americans feel?

Actually there are around 87,000 Latvian-Americans living in this country. Their complaints must have resonated at NBC as they now take the time to acknowledge all the participating nations even if it is a brief mention coming back from commercial. It is just a sad reality about living here, the network has to try to make back the money it paid out for the rights.

It's too bad the IOC doesn't set up some premium service to watch the old Olympic footage instead of having to hope somebody puts it on Youtube and you hope to get a chance to watch it before the copyright police step in. I'd gladly pay $30 a month to watch this stuff. I guess it would be a question of whether enough people would do the same to make it worthwhile.

Is that available anywhere?

Someone in an arab forum posted it arround 2007 (It was hard to find because of the language barrier) and I downloaded it and saved it on a CD. I'm afraid they were taken down but perhaps i'll upload the soundtrack in the future. Sadly i dont have the closing one (although Lea Salonga "Thriumph of the One" is included on the CD), and the closing music was mostly classic tracks like Polovtsian Dances, during the Arabian Nights performance.

Wasn't greatly impressed by this ceremony. The projections were good as always but there was nothing, from what i have seen, that made me gasp in awe.

I agree, Doha 2006 ceremony was better than this (I guess David Atkins knew the games weren't that popular and didn't wanted to overdo themselves, besides, there were only 1000 performers, I think that wasn't even the half of 2006 performers).

Although...one thing I liked is how they installed those LED lights on top of the seats, which transformed the entire tribunes onto somekind of giant screen. The fireworks show was good as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for that. I have it rattling around on an old vcr somewhere, so haven't watched it in ages,

Certainly a ceremony of contrast. Had some amazing cultural items , fantastic set design, and a really good flow and narrative. At the same time though, had alot of mind numbingly boring protocol. (that goes for the closing aswell).

I liked the evolution of the petal props that was used during the whole cultural ceremony, going from boats to petals to a globe, and finally a satellite dish.

• 3 weeks later...

An even more BIZARRE moment from the Albertville 1992 Opening I had never seen before... :blink:

Was there any part of the Albertville ceremonies that was NOT bizarre???

I remember watching it on RV with my mother when I was just 9 1/2... the Costumes were weird, the choreography mad no sense, the music sounded like some sort of nightmarish Phillip Glass composition... I am willing to declare the Albertville ceremonies and the most bizarre of my lifetime... that clip you posted is not even the most unusual... The ceremony seems so ill-concieved especially when compared to the Lillehammer ceremony from just 2 years later which was the epitome of winter serenity, tranquility, peace, and wholesomeness and Albertville 2 years earlier looked and sounded like Cirque du Soliel's idea of what hell would be like... Albertville shall forever stand as an example of what NOT to do for a Winter opening ceremony.....

On TV, not RV... :rolleyes: