Ceremonies on UTube, Pt 2

baron-pierreIV

That's really a nice section...what the Albertville Opening should've been because it's more recognizable forms. Unfortuantely, that clip is terrible. The spooling keeps backing up.

I didn't had problems with it o.o. Maybe because i downloaded it with the Downloadhelper plugin in HD

While the whole SEA Games opening ceremony in Palembang (Indonesia) was kinda spectacular, this happened

Biggest flame lighting blooper ever since Sheffield 91 Universiade :lol:

WTF???? What was that? I only understood that the female commentator mentioned "Barcelona" shortly before the cauldron lit up -- probably she wanted to compare that cauldron lighting to Barcelona's. EPIC failure!

Was the final torchbearer supposed to throw that burning spear (or whatever that is) into the cauldron? In fact, he flew past the cauldron by several metres -- and then awkwardly threw the spear towards the cauldron, but it only fell down. What a piece of cr*p. Such things happen if there are too many "mini Olympics" and every host wants to outdo the other by creating its own and even more "elaborate" lighting scenario.

I've found this article which is very interesting in hindsight:

Susi Susanti nervous ahead of SEA Games spear throw theatrics

First of all, I didn't notice that the final torchbearer was a woman -- Olympic badminton gold medalist Susi Susanti. She won the gold medal in Barcelona in 1992, so the (Vietnamese?) commentator probably mentioned Barcelona because of Susanti's medal record and not as comparison to the Barcelona cauldron lighting.

Furthermore, it's interesting to read that Susanti obviously wasn't too certain beforehand that the cauldron lighting would work. And rightfully so. I guess she should rather have said "no" when she heard "of the complicated theatrics involved in the ceremony".

And it's also interesting that this Singaporean journalist obviously was too polite to mention the cauldron blooper (he just speaks of "some technical glitches during the opening ceremony"): Indonesia put on a glitzy show to welcome the region's best athletes

It wasn't their official song, I guess their equiv to the hideously camp "We Can Work Wonders" from Auckland's closing that I posted earlier. The whole title really does baffle me for this one.

The Victoria 94 official song is an elusive one, I've never managed to find it - but it's title was something like *Catch the Spirit of 94*. I have the chorus in my head actually, just haven't found the recording of it.

It was definetely something alluding to spirit.

I have the lyrics *let your spirit fly on forever....* in my head, so it's definetely something to do with spirit.

Unfortunately they seem to be a very hard to find ceremonies.

Why i'm posting this again? I just learned that David Atkins will once again organize an opening ceremony in Doha, this time for the 2011 Pan Arab Games beggining next 9 December 2011. Looks like the company really likes to work with the qataris :lol:

pm_image_434.jpg

Not much is known (as usual from them) except this placemap which basically tells us will be the typical Davit Atkins stage design (with two stages in the north and south tribunes). I wonder how they will do it 5 years after they last did a show on the same stadia.

^^ I have some pics of it but never managed to see something of it ever. The highlight was a huge thunderbird which was represented in the stadium (and, of course, the return of South Africa to the games.)

wp7ah.jpg

Oh look...those giant dolls on the perimeter...they also appeared at the Sydney Closing.

Why i'm posting this again? I just learned that David Atkins will once again organize an opening ceremony in Doha, this time for the 2011 Pan Arab Games beggining next 9 December 2011. Looks like the company really likes to work with the qataris :lol:

pm_image_434.jpg

Not much is known (as usual from them) except this placemap which basically tells us will be the typical Davit Atkins stage design (with two stages in the north and south tribunes). I wonder how they will do it 5 years after they last did a show on the same stadia.

Well, Atkins' company made at least $25 mil for Doha 2006...so why not?

^^ I have some pics of it but never managed to see something of it ever. The highlight was a huge thunderbird which was represented in the stadium (and, of course, the return of South Africa to the games.)

I remember watching the opening ceremony in class at primary school.

The only other moment I remember from it was a large first nations puppet show, with characters playing ball etc etc.

I think this website has a soundfile *let your spirit take flight* which is possibly the Victoria song?

http://www.bobbuckley.com/demos/Anthems.htm