Ceremonies on UTube, Pt 2

baron-pierreIV

Lightining of the Universiade cauldron

Notice the spiral-like road which was built outside the stadia (and was also used as the via of entrance for the athletes for what i saw on other vids, kinda reminds me of Atlanta and Melbourne CWG somehow.

Thanks for posting, Jose.

#1 - Too many final torchbearers.

#2 - too...too...elaborate and convoluted. Like Beijing but 1.5x more complicated. It just drags out too much. For me, it has to happen in under 2 minutes.

^^ Indeed, is one of the few WOG ceremonies which has a true winter feeling and it didn't needed to be so complicated or techy to be one of the best olympic openings.

I wish next olympic ceremonies try to use a better narrative like Albertville and Lillehammer, instead of recurring to just an announcer saying what will happen (although for what i've read here it kinda seems London will try it with victorian era-like characters or something)

could someone please upload the opening and closing ceremonies of the 1996 olympics in atlanta?

The opening ceremony of Atlanta is almost on its entirety in Youtube, check this account http://www.youtube.com/user/julius923

As for the closing, it used to be on Youtube but the user took down the vids. However the previous account i sent you has some videos of the closing, including the handover to Sydney 2000 (you might find other stuff if you search)

could someone please upload the opening and closing ceremonies of the 1996 olympics in atlanta?

Guardian used to have the full Atlanta 1996 CLosing on there until that over-rated b*tch drummer, Sheila E.(like she was some hot-shot commodity) used her TV rights prerogative and had the clips with her in it, taken down. (See page 156 of THE BOOK for fuller explanation of this episode.)

^^ Indeed, is one of the few WOG ceremonies which has a true winter feeling and it didn't needed to be so complicated or techy to be one of the best olympic openings.

Absolutely. It's amazing how fresh, unique and innovative the Lillehammer OC still appears, even almost 18 (!) and four Olympic Winter Games later. It was such a human, down-to-earth and cosy ceremony, so authentically Norwegian and Scandinavian -- without being full of clichés. The more Olympic ceremonies I witness, I'm more and more convinced that only the Scandinavians can stage such a kind of ceremonies.

Even the concept of using presenters (Liv Ullmann, Thor Heyerdahl and the children) and not only announcers at the ceremony is still unique to this day, since it has almost never been copied by succeeding Olympic hosts. The only exception was the strange (and pointless, only Japanese-speaking) comedian Nagano had as presenter of its closing ceremony.

All in all, I consider Lillehammer's OC still the best in the history of the Olympic Winter Games. And I don't expect the strongly artificial and technical host cities Sochi and Pyeongchang to surpass that.

Sorry, it should read: "even almost 18 (!) years and four Olympic Winter Games later"

Lillehammer was so "beautiful" that thieves used the occasion to break into the Oslo National Museum that very night and steal Munch's THE SCREAM because the entire nation of Norway was riveted to the Ceremony. :lol:

Sometimes less-than-perfect ceremonies have their uses, too. ;)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

A very rare jewel, excerpts from brazilian television of the 1991 Pan Am Games in Havana, Cuba.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bST40A82hAc

Cubans did a colorful ceremony for that time, i'll say, very reminiscing of Moscow 80. Although they had a pretty hard time hosting those games since they stopped receiving soviet aid after the Soviet Union recent collapse.

Also, this user is uploading the recent 2011 Pan Am Games opening ceremony (not HD quality but at least much better sound quality than the first videos published). He's still uploading the ceremony so be patient

If anyone finds videos in HD of the ceremony please post them here. Thanks :)

This was uploaded recently, it's the full opening ceremony from Lillehammer. I love its wintery feeling and the almost innocence it has without feeling dated.

love it!!!!

the ski jumper with the flame as a great touch, just like barcelona, trying to make the lighting unique and spectacular

And by the way, I also love the way the Guadalajara folks kicked off their opening ceremony (see the video Ikarus posted). I guess we Germans have a soft spot for Mariachi music. At least that could be a reason why the people of Munich applauded so thunderously for the Mexican team and musicians at the 1972 Summer Olympic opening ceremony:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LA8b7zifqA&feature=channel_video_title

(entrance of the Mexican team at 49:05, the applause when the Mexican athletes raised their hats led one of the two German tv commentators to say "Now also the atmosphere is Mexican" ;))

http://www.youtube.com/user/olympia72de#p/u/6/aDZIA9b3Pbo

(Mariachi performance for the Antwerp Flag handover starting at 16:22)

The joyous the start of the ceremony was, the disappointing and cheesy was the climax, the lighting of the cauldron:

Or, for everyone who (like me) comes from a country where that video is blocked, here's the hidemyass.com link (I hope it works): http://5.hidemyass.com/ip-1/encoded/Oi8vd3d3LnlvdXR1YmUuY29tL3dhdGNoP3Y9Y2pzd1FqNzRrSnc%3D&f=norefer

A mix of a poor copy of Beijing's "flying" final torchbearer (Paola Espinosa flew only a few metres and not even up to roof level) and Torino's firework cheating. And the cauldron is even uglier than Athens' reefer.

^^ Hmm, that was pretty corny. Only to have 3 other famed athletes in the stadium? And having the one in the harness rise up in a fake walk only to be put down in the ground again to light a cauldron on the floor, which is the precursor to the one on the roof?

A mix of Beijing 2008 and Torino 2006, done in a poorly executed way.

I'm sure Toronto 2015 will have something more spectacular in the form of Cauldron lighting and might want to avoid a hydraulic system (or test it to hell) to avoid a Vancouver 2010 event.

love it!!!!

the ski jumper with the flame as a great touch, just like barcelona, trying to make the lighting unique and spectacular

With PyeongChang hosting it's Opening Ceremony in it's Ski Jump Stadium, perhaps It can try to top Lillehammer, with a ski jumper going further and actually lighting some sort of rigging which goes and light up the cauldron!

I'm sure Toronto 2015 will have something more spectacular in the form of Cauldron lighting and might want to avoid a hydraulic system (or test it to hell) to avoid a Vancouver 2010 event.

I was wondering if they can use the CN Tower (which is almost adjacent to the Rogers Centre) as the cauldron, just like Calgary did with their tower in 1988. That would be awesome.

Not sure if this one has been posted before, it's Betty Ann Monga of Ardijah fame from the Closing Ceremony of the 1990 Auckland Commonwealth Games performing * We Can Work Wonders* with a gaggle of youth assembled by World Vision from memory.

Nothing overly or interesting here, possibly with the exception of Betty's wonderful puffy shoulder pohutakawa inspired frock.

^^ Thanks a lot for the Auckland vids (those are very rare to find, specially Victoria '94) :) It's the first time I see this video from the CC.

I posted some pages ago in this thread a link to Vimeo on which you can watch one of the cultural segments of the opening ceremony on its whole. Here:

• 2 weeks later...

As per bid book they are looking to do something Vancouver-esque.

I was wondering if they can use the CN Tower (which is almost adjacent to the Rogers Centre) as the cauldron, just like Calgary did with their tower in 1988. That would be awesome.

Yes it would be. Why not e-mail them suggesting the idea! I am but more the better.