Cairo 2020

baron-pierreIV

Well a Cairo 2020 Olympics bid would promote itself differently from it's 2008 bid. It would promote itself as emerging through democracy in light of the dictatorship of the past.

It has some core venues readily available, so I wouldn't see how it couldn't contest with Durban, as for hotter, I do expect South Africa to be the first African host of the Olympics, recent hosting of major sporting events only strengthen it.

With its current standing i could not see it being awarded much. Even before these events it has always been a crazy, massive city. I just could not see it winning then and far less likely now. Its going to be in the rebuilding phase for a few years.

And i agree, i cant see another country in Africa getting the games before us.

I think the recent events in Egypt probably end any hopes of even attempting an Olympic bid for a long time.

Oddly enuf, I see that as being a catalyst. If I were Egyptian, I would strike while the iron is hot---especially if the IOC has Africa-titis, then this would really be the time to put forward a bid for the continent's most historic and cosmopolitan metropolis. In a few months, you'll see tons of foreign investment coming into Egypt.

If underbuilt Qatar can do it, why not an over-built Cairo??

especially if the IOC has Africa-titis, then this would really be the time to put forward a bid for the continent's most historic and cosmopolitan metropolis.

Thing with Cairo (or any other North African city) though, is that I really wouldn't see it as an "African" Olympics rather moreso as a *Middle East, Arab world* one. And I'm sure that many in the IOC would view it the same, & especially the Sub-Saharan African mmebers.

Thing with Cairo (or any other North African city) though, is that I really wouldn't see it as an "African" Olympics rather moreso as a *Middle East, Arab world* one. And I'm sure that many in the IOC would view it the same, & especially the Sub-Saharan African mmebers.

You got a point there.

First of all, I don't think Egypt will be in the position to organize itself politically in the timeframe of the 2020 race, let alone get the necessary agreements to put forward an Olympic bid. On the other hand, I can see Cairo hosting the SOGs, especially with this selling point of the Olympics being part of fostering the new democratic Egypt.

Besides, Cairo would be a triple new frontier (Africa, Arab World and Muslin World) and it is a very high profile city, probably the oldest of them all. I could see Cairo winning it head-to-head against Durban, for instance.

First of all, I don't think Egypt will be in the position to organize itself politically in the timeframe of the 2020 race, let alone get the necessary agreements to put forward an Olympic bid. On the other hand, I can see Cairo hosting the SOGs, especially with this selling point of the Olympics being part of fostering the new democratic Egypt.

Besides, Cairo would be a triple new frontier (Africa, Arab World and Muslin World) and it is a very high profile city, probably the oldest of them all. I could see Cairo winning it head-to-head against Durban, for instance.

That's what I thought too. So Durban better hurry and get its show on the road before Cairo jumps in.

That's what I thought too. So Durban better hurry and get its show on the road before Cairo jumps in.

you really thing that Cairo can be in short list and will be a runner up with durban? kicking of both Tokyo and rome with ıstanbul??

:D

I think the Egyptians have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

i think the world has to wait for that egyptian reforms... another İran is more possible than an democratic arab country. its in their blood genetics... all middle eastern countries especially arabs have this.. they always want 1 man power. they need that. if not the society start to collapse and civil wars or fights start. cause they dont have any past with democracy they really dont know what it brings ...

have to wait and see..

but im not sure cairo will be in 2020 race.

but im not sure cairo will be in 2020 race.

I'm pretty sure they won't be.

With its current standing i could not see it being awarded much. Even before these events it has always been a crazy, massive city.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm sure a few of us have been there and would agree it's a huge, incredibly chaotic city that always seems to be in a constant flux of crumbling away and being rebuilt. Just can't see it in the short-to-medium term.

But that said, I do think it has potential. I even surprised myself when I did a Cairo bid for one of Puppy's fantasy contests that I was able to cobble together a reasonably feasible hosting plan. Whether it would stack up against a more technically slick bid from a more developed competitor in a serious bid contest is another matter, though.

you really thing that Cairo can be in short list and will be a runner up with durban? kicking of both Tokyo and rome with ıstanbul??

You misunderstand me. All things being equal, including if Cairo has cleaned up its pollution a la Beijing, has a booming, throving economy, etc., has great urban renewal plans (including moving the pyramids :P for new stadia and subdivisions), then Cairo would have a very STRONG case.

But of course I know they are and WON'T be ready for the 2020 race. Perhaps in the next go-around which would be 7 hostings laer -- if the world DOESN'T end after December 2012, then Cairo would be the city to beat for 2044 or 2048.

You misunderstand me. All things being equal, including if Cairo has cleaned up its pollution a la Beijing, has a booming, throving economy, etc., has great urban renewal plans (including moving the pyramids :P for new stadia and subdivisions), then Cairo would have a very STRONG case.

But of course I know they are and WON'T be ready for the 2020 race. Perhaps in the next go-around which would be 7 hostings laer -- if the world DOESN'T end after December 2012, then Cairo would be the city to beat for 2044 or 2048.

:) lol i love your sarcasm at the topics :D

Any chance of Eygpt bidding for the Games were certainly higher under dictatorship rule than they are now.

People in an emerging democracy, laiden with financial problems simply won't accept spending money on a bid or financing a Games.

If Africa misses out of 2020, by 2014-2015, if the country has stabilised, there may be a public interest in showcasing a "new-Eygpt" to the world and 2024 could be an option.

Any chance of Eygpt bidding for the Games were certainly higher under dictatorship rule than they are now. People in an emerging democracy, laiden with financial problems simply won't accept spending money on a bid or financing a Games.

Basically, Egypt has just exchanged one dictatorship for another.

However, their other major problem is cultural. It is estimated that 98% of foreign women living in Cairo have experienced some form of sexual harassment. Maybe the Cairo Games will have a campaign called "Grope the Podium" for all the female events. Of course, if they don't like the reporting about the games, they can always gang-rape the US press reporters.

Sorry, Egypt has ZERO chance of a games in the next decade or two. ZERO.

Well, right now, the Arab World seems be going through what the former Soviet Bloc in Eastern Europe went through in the late 1980s, early 1990s. And since then, only Sochi, Russia has been awarded the Olympic Games - Games to be held a full 25 years after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

We still don't know what is happening or what will happen in the Arab World. First Tunisia. Then Egypt. Then Yemen. And now Bahrain and Libya. And possibly more unrest and uprisings in other countries. I don't think an Olympic bid for the region is on anyone's mind at the moment.

Archived