Thorpedo returns

Have to be honest, had my doubts about Thorpie's return... but I still would've liked him to qualify. Still, its great that we have James Magnussen....one to watch!

I think we all wished him the best, but wondered if he had it in him. Sad to see Klim finally announce his retirement after missing out on London now too. But I am glad to see Libby Trickett make it back.

Still, for all it's nice to see our elder swimmers try for it again, it's the next generation we really want to see make a mark in London. Magnussen's certainly leading that charge, and one thing I've been heartened by with the qualifying trials (yes, I have been watching) is the depth we're building up in women's and men's sprints. It's sure looking hopeful for us with the relays!

• 1 year later...

Does this guy ever really retire?

Ian Thorpe: I could compete at 2016 Olympic Games

Ian Thorpe believes that he still has what it takes to compete in the Olympic Games in Brazil in 2016.

Thorpe had retired from swimming in 2006, but stated his aims to return to the sport in 2011 – although a series of setbacks have meant that he hasn’t competed at any major events since.

However, the five-time Olympic gold medalist is targeting making the Rio Olympics in 2016.

“There is no physical reason why I cannot swim in Rio, but I have to consider whether or not my body can hold up for it,” Thorpe said to NBC.

His first priority, though, will be on competing for Australia at the Commonwealth Games 2014 as he looks to make a successful return.

Thorpe will be 33 by the time Rio comes around, but has said recently that he still feels as if he is a 26-year-old because of his prolonged break from the sport.

Givemesport

I really do think there comes a time when the old champs should hang up their Speedos and open up team spots for the new generation to come through. It was a bit of an issue with the Oz team in London - too many of the team veterans were seen as "protected" species by the younger team members.

I really do think there comes a time when the old champs should hang up their Speedos and open up team spots for the new generation to come through. It was a bit of an issue with the Oz team in London - too many of the team veterans were seen as "protected" species by the younger team members.

Completely agree. If I were someone like Lochte, although he isn't part of the new generation, I would be really pissed off if Phelps came back.

• 6 months later...

Well, if Thorpe didn't make it in 2012, how is he going to make it in 2016?!

Probably won't except as a BBC Commentator.

Thorpe in rehab battling depression

Olympian Ian Thorpe has checked himself into rehab in Sydney while battling depression and alcohol abuse.

The swimming great has been living in Switzerland for 18 months, but returned to Sydney to spend the Christmas period with his family at his parents' Panania home.

The 31-year-old was injured in a fall earlier in the week, News Corp Australia reported on Friday, and was admitted to hospital on Wednesday night.

Friends say Thorpe has struggled to adjust to life after swimming and with the disappointment of a failed comeback at the London Olympics in 2012.

Advertisement

Thorpe, who has been seen at social events over the New Year, including the Australian Open in Melbourne, has spoken of constant pain from an old back injury.

He released an autobiography last year in which he said he'd struggled with depression and alcohol abuse.

"Not even my family is aware that I've spent a lot of my life battling what I can only describe as crippling depression," the five-time Olympic gold medallist wrote.

He said he had also used alcohol as a way of dealing with hard times in his life.

A close friend of Thorpe told News Corp on Thursday night that they were thinking of the swimming legend.

"He had an accident at home," the friend said.

"He slipped and hurt himself.

"We're hoping he's going to be OK and make a full recovery."

Broadcaster Alan Jones, a close friend of Thorpe's, also said the swimmer had been going through some problems recently.

"Yes, it's serious but there's not a lot I can or want to add," Jones said on Thursday night.

"Ian is a beautiful person but he has difficulty recognising his problems."

The Age

Sad to see. Hope he overcomes his demons.

I don't want to make it worse, but I get the increasing impression that also all the speculation (and his possible denials) about his sexuality very much led to his depression. I think he is seriously struggling with his identity, and that shouldn't be that way actually. I hope for him that he finds a way to overcome his problems.

Ian Thorpe's manager denies reports over hospital treatment

Olympian's manager says the swimmer was in hospital for shoulder operation

Ian Thorpe's management company has denied reports the swimmer is in rehab for depression and alcohol abuse.

The five-time Olympic champion was reported to have returned to a family home in Sydney after spending time at Bankstown hospital and Strathfield private hospital.

But a spokesman for Sports and Entertainment Ltd said on Friday afternoon: “The article that appeared in the Daily Telegraph today is incorrect. Ian is not in rehab. Ian was in hospital for an operation on his shoulder and is pleased to let his friends and fans know that he is now out of hospital and on the mend.”

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/31/ian-thorpe-reported-to-have-left-hospital

Ian Thorpe's manager denies reports over hospital treatment

Sadly, they were a bit too quick with the denial:

Ian Thorpe in rehab battling depression

FEBRUARY 04, 2014: Thorpe's father hopes the Olympic legend's treatment for depression will work.

The 31-year-old swimming champion is in rehab after being found disoriented near his parents' Sydney home early on Monday on a combination of antidepressants and medication for a shoulder injury.

Thorpe was taken for a medical assessment on Monday to Bankstown Hospital, which wouldn't release him unless he went into rehab.

"He is battling with his health issues at the moment and he is having a tough time," Ken Thorpe told News Corp.

"But hopefully in six months' time he will be out the other side."

"He is in rehab for depression," his manager James Erskine told AAP.

Last week Thorpe's management denied the swimming great was in rehab battling depression and alcohol abuse.

Police were called to a street in Panania in Sydney's south on Monday morning after a resident reportedly spotted a man trying to break into a van.

But Mr Erskine said the five-time Olympic gold medallist had thought he was sitting in his friend's car.

He said said Thorpe had been taking antidepressants and medication for his shoulder.

"He hadn't had a drink. He had zero alcohol in him."

The Australian

The guy hasn't had it easy- I always thought it strange that he retired at the peak of his career- then started to make plans for an unrealistic comeback .

The constant questioning of his sexuality by the Australian tabloids must also be tiresome.

I hope he comes through this happy and able to move on with life. It can't be easy being an Olympian at that age- many of them talk of depression after retirement as they contemplate what else they will do with their lives- many don't have degrees as they put their all into training.

• 2 months later...

Ian Thorpe in intensive care

Swimming great Ian Thorpe is "quite sick" in a Sydney hospital after contracting two potentially deadly infections and will never swim again competitively, his agent says.

The 31-year-old five-time Olympic gold medallist contracted the bugs after undergoing a series of surgeries on his shoulder at a hospital near his home in the Swiss town of Ronco sopra Ascona.

He has returned to Sydney and is receiving treatment at an intensive care ward.

Thorpe has received a number of visitors in hospital and is said to be in good spirits, despite the apparent seriousness of his illness.

"It’s serious but it’s not life-threatening," Thorpe’s agent James Erskine told AAP.

"He’s contracted two forms of bugs in hospital. He’s undergone two or three operations over the last two months so ... I mean bad luck. He’s quite sick but that’s the situation."

Mr Erskine rubbished reports Thorpe could lose the use of his arm because of the infections but said Thorpe would never swim again competitively.

"From a competitive point of view - he will not be swimming competitively again I don’t think," Mr Erskine added.

"The shoulder operation was a major operation, he’s got as many plates as Barry Sheene (the now deceased world champion motorcycle rider)."

It’s understood the infection contracted by Thorpe is similar in nature to the potentially deadly Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) superbug that has swept some hospitals in Europe.

It is the latest upset in Thorpe’s life.

His father revealed in February that Thorpe was battling depression.

The popular swimmer sought help in early 2014 after being found disoriented near his parents’ home in southern Sydney, having taken a combination of antidepressants and medication for a shoulder injury.

Thorpe was sent for medical assessment to Bankstown Hospital and then entered a rehabilitation program.

The swimmer made an ill-fated attempt to compete at the 2012 London Olympics.

AAP

Archived