Dallas 2020

Sir Rols

<br />Lawl. No.<br /><br />Any city can claim to have all of the things you mentioned but when it comes to stacking up against prominent cities like Paris, London, LA, New York etc Dallas is in a completely different league.<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

GDP ranking: New York is #2, LA is #3, Chicago is #4, London is #5, Paris is #6, Dallas is #14; so I would expect those cities to have more to offer, just as Dallas has much more than most cities bellow #14 which includes many of your proposed and past hosts. In the categories I mentioned Dallas has some of the highest levels of style and service on offer, which is what I find interesting that so many unfamiliar with Dallas have no idea that it is a metropolis on par with most large cities.

And I happen to have had many great times in Big D, so I have an unfair advantage in experience.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@FYI, Sydney's Olympic Stadium is in the City of Parramatta. I'm not sure how strictly the IOC applies this rule. Different countries have differing levels of government and borders. The London Olympic Stadium isn't in the City of London...

Haha, now you're just being deliberately confusing! ;)

No, it's not in the City (merely the name of London's most central "borough"), but it's certainly in the city (the urban area); and is pretty central, not out in the suburbs:

9vgxzl.gif

Although, London's stadium is still gonna be in the 'London Borough' of Stratford, only 6 miles from Downtown London.

Not quite. The Olympic Park straddles the borders between the London Boroughs of Tower Hamlets, Hackney, Waltham Forest and Newham. Stratford is a town/district within the LB of Newham. But the gist of your point is correct. :)

But in the case of Dallas; Arlington is at least 20 miles from downtown

By the sounds of it from reading this thread, the Dallas Coyboys' stadium is about three times further from the city's CBD than London's stadium is. If that's the case, you'd better hope the transport is good! What are the rail links like, for example? The size of this bloody-great car park doesn't seem a good indicator to me, but I've no knowledge of the city or the stadium...

new-dallas-cowboys-stadium-aerial-biggest-dome.jpg

By the sounds of it from reading this thread, the Dallas Coyboys' stadium is about three times further from the city's CBD than London's stadium is. If that's the case, you'd better hope the transport is good! What are the rail links like, for example? The size of this bloody-great car park doesn't seem a good indicator to me, but I've no knowledge of the city or the stadium...

Transportation is one of the major logistical problems of any Dallas Olympic bid.

Currently, there is no rail-link that services the stadium directly. Interstate-30 goes right past it, but that's about it. But still, the stadium is actually closer to downtown Ft. Worth than it is to Dallas. Where do you draw the line? How far out is just "too far".

The equivalent would be if London had proposed the stadium in St. Albans instead. Or Sydney's in Gosford. Or if Atlanta's was all the up in Roswell. Or if any future San Francisco bid proposes to use the new 49ers stadium planned for Santa Clara in nearby San Jose. That's a fricken 40 miles from downtown San Francisco. That's just absurd.

No matter how 'grandiose' the new cowboys stadium is, it's just way out there (unless the bid was centered around Ft. Worth <_< ). And it'd B getting outdated if a bid did ever come to light later down the road anyway.

Archived