Hi everyone.

nature

Hi everyone.

I'm from south korea.

I'm sorry, I'm not english very well.

I love sports and olympics.

Waching Sports is my hobby.

After 1998 olmypics I wached every olmpycs.

Olympics just passion and harmony, exciting.

But I'm not support PeongChang's bid.

I have interesting news.

PC 2018 Alpine ski down-hill competition is Forest Reserves(2,432ha).

It's means can't construction.

PC 2018 Commitee want to special law.

Down-hill competition Gariwang Mount's have to many rare plants.

I objection construction.

I'm not environmentalist.

Sometimes ago PC Govermor loss.

They must keep the law.

Olympic hosting bases people, nature, principle.

It's a Olympics.

Kim yu-na is Olmypic Figure Champ.

But korean don't have practice ice rink. nothing.

Korea winter olympics hosthing is surd.

For the Olympic Games did not know who.

They are building infrastructure, tradition should take precedence.

They are building infrastructure, tradition should take precedence.

Well said, although South Korea does have some kind of (albeit short) tradition in short track speed skating, long track speed skating and figure skating.

However, it seems as if also Pyeongchang's bid doesn't have totally uncontroversial plans, huh? Are their any environmentalists protesting against the destruction of the forest for the downhill ski slope?

And Korea has absolutely no practice ice-rink? Really? Not even in Seoul where they could use an ice-rink also for the public, as a recreational ice pavilion?

Oh, by the way: Welcome to this forum! We definitely need people from South Korea here, so please feel free to post again.

Are their any environmentalists protesting against the destruction of the forest for the downhill ski slope?

Careful consideration was a request two years ago.

But, does not any act now.

Korean does not have a history of the environmental movement.

And Korea has absolutely no practice ice-rink? Really? Not even in Seoul where they could use an ice-rink also for the public, as a recreational ice pavilion?

It's a fact.

Kim yu-na practice in the Canada and United States every year.

Korean Ski jump player is only 4 athletes.

Winter sports tradition and athletes for rink, player development comes first.

This is 2011 Korean figure championships.

2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games only for real estate speculators, politicians, builders.

Second issues Alpencia Resort. (2018 olympics main area)

Alpencia resort facing a liquidity crisis.

Construction was excessive.

Alpencia have liabilities 700 million dollars.

Deficit million dollars every year.

They are making tradition urgently for olympic host.

I just didn't want to encourage him (or her) but I really found that a good statement -- "They are building infrastructure, tradition should take precedence". Regarding that Pyeongchang maybe had the infrastructure for the 2009 biathlon world championships (albeit not a flawless infrastructure) but not the tradition to also fill the venue and create a good atmosphere.

But, nature: I'm still confused about your statement that there's no ice rink in Korea. Where were those Korean figure skating championships staged then (of which you posted the YouTube video)? And where do the successful Korean short track speed skaters practice then? The short track speed skaters use the same ice rinks as the figure skaters!

Welcome "nature."

I think u not Korean real--or maybe North!!

English not speak phony too contrived and. :)

Don't be so rude. Or would you try to write in Korean here for a change? Oh, you don't speak it? Funny...

But, nature: I'm still confused about your statement that there's no ice rink in Korea. Where were those Korean figure skating championships staged then (of which you posted the YouTube video)? And where do the successful Korean short track speed skaters practice then? The short track speed skaters use the same ice rinks as the figure skaters!

There are Seoul Mok-dong ice rink.

korean ice rink total just 35 place.

Almost for publics and very bed conditions.

I mean korean no have ice rink for only figure athletes and high quality rink.

Kim yu-na always said "I wanna practice rink for figure athletes"

Korea short track is good. I thihk by high level training methods...

I have a reaaaallllly hard time believing "nature" is even a Korean. (By the way, for someone who claims not to be an environmentalist, you couldn't have thought of a more original name?) I am Korean, and the main reason I don't think the OP is Korean is because he doesn't write in English the way a native-Korean would. One example is when he wrote "I objection construction." A native Korean-speaker with bad English would've said "I construction object," (sentence structure) and a Korean-speaker with better English would've wrote "I object construction." ("object" would be used as a verb and not a noun in Korean, just like it is in English. Thus I have no idea where his use of "objection" came from). Funnily enough, his capitalization of nouns in the middle of a sentence is more reminiscent of what a native German-speaker would do. ;) Anyway, onto some of the issues:

1) No ice skating rinks in Korea? Lie. I've played hockey in Korea, and I've seen skaters use that rink for practice. So I won't even bother to deal with this ridiculousness.

2) Korea doesn't have a history of the environmental movement? This is the biggest giveaway you're likely not from South Korea. Up until a few years ago, there was a national holiday (a real public holiday where you get a day off school and work) where kids planted trees all across the country every year since the 1950's to reforest the trees that were destroyed during the Korean War. The OP would've been planted these trees every year too. Plus, there's restoration projects to preserve the environment all over Korea to make up for the industrialization of the 1960's-1980's. The environment is one of the biggest things Koreans care about these days.

I don't know much about the specifics of the alpine ski venues and any potential conflicts with the environment. If it was such a huge deal, I'm surprised I haven't heard much about it until now, though I don't pay as much attention to the bid as I should. If it really is damaging to the environment on a noticeable scale, I would be opposed to the PC bid too. But maybe the OP could give us some evidence. Maybe some articles? Even if it is in Korean. Then I could translate if he doesn't.

Hi, Gwanwon.

1) No ice skating rinks in Korea? Lie. I've played hockey in Korea, and I've seen skaters use that rink for practice. So I won't even bother to deal with this ridiculousness.

You do not know the reality.

Korean no have rink for figure athletes.

Korea rinks just "35" place. Date by Korea skating federation.

Almost not for the athletes and very bad conditions.

Ice hockey rink too.

"this ridiculousness"

This is a very sad story.

I don't know much about the specifics of the alpine ski venues and any potential conflicts with the environment. If it was such a huge deal, I'm surprised I haven't heard much about it until now, though I don't pay as much attention to the bid as I should. If it really is damaging to the environment on a noticeable scale, I would be opposed to the PC bid too. But maybe the OP could give us some evidence. Maybe some articles? Even if it is in Korean. Then I could translate if he doesn't.

Down-hill venue is forest reserves,designated by the national government.

Can not construction.

PC 2018 commitee say "To change the law and Trees-plants to move for oympics"

This is like a carton story.

This is korean newsletter about PC environmental degradation and illegal.

I want you to translate.

Sorry for doubting you were Korean. I guess using an online dictionary will mess up your sentence structure.

Anyway, Hani is the internet website for the left-wing newspaper Hankyurae, and Ohmynews is also a left-wing internet news site.

These articles oppose the PyeongChang Olympic bid, saying that President Lee is thinking about building the ski courses in the natural environment of many endangered plants, and the president's alternative plan is to re-plant those in different places, and activists are saying that idea is just ridiculous.

I don't know how much I trust these two sources... but that's what the articles say anyway.

We used to have someone posting as 'cherry blossom' (notice the 'green' theme of the names) and I immediately knew who that was - someone from Canada. The tone and sentence structure -- and no one would write PIDGIN english like that -- are so similar, that I really think it is the one-time 'cherry blossom.'

• 3 months later...

I thought I would clarify the two Korean articles that nature provided here. If you click on the first link, the only thing that might stand out amongst all that Korean writing is the 2432 hectares. That refers to the size of Mount Gariwang itself, not the size of the forest which will be affected. Only 63 hectares of forest will be affected by construction of the skiing venue, because the Korean government wants to minimize the effect of alteration, and will only alter what is needed to host the Olympics. To put things in perspective, 63 hectares is a molehill compared to the thousands of hectares to be affected for construction of the Sochi Olympics.

Hankyoreh also has another article on the same subject. It's all in Korean, but the idea is the same.

Readers responded to these articles. One comment basically asked if Hankyoreh (the newspaper) had any other suggestions for where to build the ski course, if they're so opposed to it? Are there even any mountains in Korea without plants? If you want to develop a ski course, then something will have to be affected. Should we not build any golf courses either? What about all those cities of concrete that Korea is building to house its population? Should we not build those cities either?

Another comment said that Hankyoreh (the newspaper) really didn't care about this minimal effect on the environment, but instead didn't want the Olympics because they think that this will make South Korea develop even further, and thus the difference in development between South Korea and North Korea would grow even more, thus making reunification harder later on.

From reading around, I get the impression that Hankyoreh is a newspaper that cares more about North-South Korean relations, and could care less about the environment or the Olympics. I do think they are a legitimate newspaper, but just very one-sided, with ulterior motives.

Archived