The Great Southern Challenge

Alexjc

Uhmmm...notice who's posting -- all southpaws.  You haven't heard any agreement yet from the northies, have you??   :rolleyes:

Just as if you look at the Olympics in USA threads, it's nearly all Yanks, the interminable Canadian hope threads nearly all Canucks, Harbin mostly Chinese etc etc etc.

Actually, if you look earlier in this thread (and a few others) you'll find quite a few testimonials and expressions of support from northerners.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd also posted this link about Australia's Torino Winter Olympics team on the Torino thread.

Aussie Torino Team, Medal Hopes

So it seems the Aussies are starting to take the WOGs seriously, and are touting 10 medal hopes, four of them Gold hopes (I don't know how many of them depend on mass pile-ups in short-track speed skating, however).

A continued and sustained strong showing in the WOG results would be great ammunition if Australia had realistic hopes to host a WOG (which I personally think are slim, if not impossible).

A lot of the Aussie success has been very targetted. The AIS in particular chose freestyle aerial skiing as a discipline where talented gymnasts could be groomed as potential medal-winning winter athletes _ resulting in Alisa Camplin's breakthrough in SLC.

So what about NZ, Chile or Argentina? A sporting tradition is probably a huge factor in snaring a games, and it would boost southern hopes immeasurably if any of the southern hopes could point to some good sustained Winter Olympic results.

So the questionis _ are there any strong Kiwi, Chileno or Argentinian medal hopes for 2006? And are there any strong programs to build for future success.

Im not a hundred percent sure, but govermment support for winter sports in Chile (and maybe also Argentina) does not exist. These sports are considered of the elite in these countries (they are very expensive here) so supporting them has no political reward.

As in many sports in Chile most efforts come from the wallet of the sportsmen and their families. We have a couple of good snowboarders and some young promises in skiing, but most of them using their swiss, french, etc. ancestors end in a foreing national ski team (of course they are not top sportsemen in their new countries but they receive more money than here).

I do not really now the situation in Argentina, but must be very similar.

I don’t see NZ getting a gold to add to our silver in 2006. We do have the snowboarding junior champion so maybe he is something to look out for in 2010. There is our woman’s skeleton team who is ranked something like 15 – 20th in the world and our speed skaters who came 4th at Albertville. So there isn’t really that many big chances that NZ will get a medal, but then again know one gave Coalbergber when she got silver.

New Zealand lacks the depth of talent in Winter Olympic sports at the moment.  Annilese Coulhberg was a one off and although NZ speed skaters showed high promise for 1994, they didn't succeed which was sad.  When NZ finally build a Bobsleigh track in Queenstown, Wanaka, Mt Hutt etc, one can only hope for the future.

• 1 month later...
I'll keep watching to see if we hear anything about a possible bid. If it's going to happen, I suppose it needs to happen soon if the bid deadline is the middle of next year. As long as its a competent bid that can show the city can actually pull it off, I think a short-listing is highly possible. That would encourage a 2018/22 bid which might just be successful...

• 5 weeks later...

Well, Australia's still on track to maintaining a southern presence among the Torino medallists _ Australian Lydia Ierodiaconou last weekend won her third straight aerials competition for the season, at Mont-Tremblant, Canada.

Ierodiaconou's third straight Cup victory extends her huge lead on the World Cup rankings with the Mt Buller skier holding 300 points compared to second placed Chinese skier Li Nina with 185.

• 1 month later...

I like keeping this thread alive....

Anyway, was just browsing through some past bid logos, and found one from Christchurch's preliminary bid for 2010:

lg2010bz.jpg

And, believe it or not, a bid from Australia!!! Koskiusko 2010! First I'd heard of it (I thought the only Oz Winter bid had ever been Roy and HG's joke Smiggin Holes 2010 bid).

lg2010b4.gif

• 3 weeks later...
I like keeping this thread alive....

Anyway, was just browsing through some past bid logos, and found one from Christchurch's preliminary bid for 2010:

lg2010bz.jpg

Yeah, sad to look at but all is not lost for New Zealand and Christchurch.

The New Zealand Government and that county's sporting bodies are in the middle of and preparing a report for NZs hosting future.

As expected the Commonwealth Games will be a priority but the Winter Olympics and Christchurch is also part of a plan to up the profile of NZs winter sports capibilities.(Auckland 2040, but thats for another thread)  

Report due by the July 2012 Olympic decider in Singapore.

For starters, does the Oceania region even have a long-track speed skating track of sorts?

No, why on earth would we.

That's the point of hosting an olympics - to build and develop these sports and facilities. Eg Canada wouldn't have a ski jump if it wasn't for Calgary 88.

We concentrate on Short Track speed skating, in which Australia has won gold and bronze medals in the past and NZ has come very close to winning a medal as well.

For starters, does the Oceania region even have a long-track speed skating track of sorts?

No, why on earth would we.

That's the point of hosting an olympics - to build and develop these sports and facilities. Eg Canada wouldn't have a ski jump if it wasn't for Calgary 88.

We concentrate on Short Track speed skating, in which Australia has won gold and bronze medals in the past and NZ has come very close to winning a medal as well.

Well, I don't know how the weather patterns are like in the Southern Hemisphere during the time the Northern Hemisphere experiences its spring and summer seasons. Never mind how economical and worthwhile having some winter facilities will have for such countries.

I'm not sure what point your trying to make.

Yes it does snow south of the Equator in our winter - your summer.

And of course some venues won't be sustainable if they are only used in their Olympic configurations, just like in many Northern Hemisphere countries. Its not just a southern hemisphere problem.

nz could generate so much money by having say the only speed skating oval, ski jump, luge run etc. in the southern hemisphere by northern hemisphere countries training here in their summer. not to mention how it could improve our winter sporting profile. The Christchurch/Queenstown/Methven city councils should really look into it.

Well, I don't know how the weather patterns are like in the Southern Hemisphere during the time the Northern Hemisphere experiences its spring and summer seasons. Never mind how economical and worthwhile having some winter facilities will have for such countries.

Well the conditions ar certainly good enough for most of the big northern ski teams to use various countries in the south as their summer training base, and to ave hosted a few FIS World Cups. FYI, the south does extend past the tropics.

I'm so convinced that something like a luge run would be economically sound for somewhere like Queenstown. Not only would it burnish the area's extreme sports reputation, but as NZOlympic said, there's gota be some benefits to having the only facilities of its type in the southern hemisphere. As for skaiting facilities, as well asbeing useable, they are among the easiest to change to other uses as well.

Well the conditions ar certainly good enough for most of the big northern ski teams to use various countries in the south as their summer training base, and to ave hosted a few FIS World Cups. FYI, the south does extend past the tropics.

I'm so convinced that something like a luge run would be economically sound for somewhere like Queenstown. Not only would it burnish the area's extreme sports reputation, but as NZOlympic said, there's gota be some benefits to having the only facilities of its type in the southern hemisphere. As for skaiting facilities, as well asbeing useable, they are among the easiest to change to other uses as well.

Thank you, roltel. This is something I wanted to know basically. Besides, with supposed reports that some winter athletes train themselves in some various countries of the Southern Hemisphere for upcoming competitions, it would be nice to see them in action at actual competitions in the same areas.

Thank you, roltel. This is something I wanted to know basically. Besides, with supposed reports that some winter athletes train themselves in some various countries of the Southern Hemisphere for upcoming competitions, it would be nice to see them in action at actual competitions in the same areas.

Yes that has always been the idea...

Where to place the Luge Run is something else that has raged on in New Zealand's winter sports community (alonf with the ski jump)

However the profile of many Olympic stars in New Zealand is low.  I think that's why they like to come down here in their off-season to work.  I've lived in Queenstown for a winter and without knowing it, had drinks in the nightclubs with gold medal Olympic champions.

IMO Raising the profile of the WOGs here in NZ would help immensly. ie- banners at International rugby games, cricket, Sevens etc

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Wow. If Christchurch really does bid and they have good solid venue plans going I may start to support that over my precious Anchorage idea. NZ should totally capitalize on this.

Just thought I'd post the logo I made a while back for a possible Christchurch Winter Games:

chchwint4.jpg

The skiier represents the Winter Games, the four stars the Southern Cross and the waves symbolises the importance of water to NZ, as well as representing a skijump.

Marketing materials could look something like this:

chchsnow2.jpg

Archived