The Great Southern Challenge

Alexjc

Hey! Don't forget Santiago 2018  :cool:  :cool:

logo2sw.jpg

2018 will be Southern: CC or StGo.  :D

hey Kratk, do you know if there is a official push for a Chilean Winter Olympic Games sometime in the future?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes it does snow south of the Equator in our winter - your summer.

That´s true, but I believe few countries below Equator have snow enough for a WOG : Argentina, New Zealand, Chile... maybe Southern Australia  -  can anyone confirm me with regions of Australia have snow during winter ? Tasmania? Victoria ?  

I would seem totally out of season for our northern friends !  :)

Hey! Don't forget Santiago 2018  :cool:  :cool:

logo2sw.jpg

2018 will be Southern: CC or StGo.  :D

hey Kratk, do you know if there is a official push for a Chilean Winter Olympic Games sometime in the future?

Emmm... I want to talk with the candidate for the Presidence, Soledad Alvear, about this proposal. She is the daughter of one of the people who bring the World Cup in 1962, so we can have some options. Maybe other candidate (Piñera) would like the idea

But this will be very difficult with the other 2 candidates, and of course, a possible bid for 2014 or 2018 will be with the support of the next President.

Yes it does snow south of the Equator in our winter - your summer.

That´s true, but I believe few countries below Equator have snow enough for a WOG : Argentina, New Zealand, Chile... maybe Southern Australia  -  can anyone confirm me with regions of Australia have snow during winter ? Tasmania? Victoria ?  

I would seem totally out of season for our northern friends !  :)

Yeah, you're right. Only NZ, Chile and Argentina in the south have enough snow, and the right conditions, for a winter games.

Australia's problem is not the snow _ we have plenty of snow in winter in the ranges of Victoria, NSW and Tasmania (Thredbo in NSW has hosted an FIS World Cup round ) and in FREAK conditions it has even been known to snow in southern Queensland _ but we just don't have a high enough downhill mountain to meet the 800m vertical drop requirement for Olympic alpine events.

South Africa apparently also has a couple of ski resorts, but just really of the novelty kind _ nowhere near enough to host any competitive ski events.

Aparantly in a few million years Australia is set to collide with Indonesia (much like how India collided with Asia) and is set to form a mountain range taller than the Himalayas...

AUSTRALIAN WINTER OLYMPICS 2, 002 006 !

• 1 month later...
I’ve been meaning to post this for a while now. I was in the lounge reading the tv guide and the new was on the TV, I wasn’t paying much attention to it. Then a story about how popular curling is become in the south island came on, I put my head up for a second then went back to the TV guide. So then they started intervening this Canadian guy living in NZ and he was the ice master for one of the many new curling centers popping up all over the south island. I wasn’t paying much attention to it, but then they were out in the snow talking about this area where they were planning on building a bobsleigh track, I just caught the end of it and it showed how well NZ skeleton racers are doing and then this Canadian guy say “This is a perfect run for a track…a few turns here and further down.” I was really disappointed I didn’t find see the whole story but there is nearly no information about it on the net. I’m down in Wanaka (Queenstown) at the moment and hopefully I can find out some more about it..

I just received this E-mail from Barry Maister, The Secretary General of the New Zealand Olympic Committee.  

Dear Steve

Thank you for your interest in this matter

Would much prefer to talk to you about this rather than email, but there

is no number for me to contact you.

My comments below are personal ones and are not those of the NZOC (

although I suspect they would be similar)

Having been to my first Winter Games in 2002 I believe that NZ is

currently well short of a winter Games bid

A major reason is that we currently lack the credibility of being a

winter sports country, across all the winter disciplines, that would be

needed to convince the rest of the world to vote for us.

We are starting to bring some significant numbers of  winter athletes

down to NZ to train in our winter, but have a long way to go in that

regard.

While I believe we could technically stage the Games (with a major

investment input) it is the infrastructure which we would struggle with

Having seen the capacity of Salt Lake City to move thousands of people

up and down mountains,in a most efficient manner, I believe we would be

well short of matching that withoput a huge infrastructure upgrade that

would be difficult to justify in the long term, for our country.

The Government looks at investment in anything, including sport, as

requiring a substantial return.

They have not shown an appetite for investments such as the Winter Games

But far from being negative about this, the NZOC is working with winter

sports and the Minister of sport,and Tourism NZ, to work towards NZ

being seen as a credible winter sport destination by the year 2020

This will involve investing in the high performance planning for our

Winter sports federations (already committed to, along with SPARC and the NZAS), and

looking to hold sport specific World cups or equivalents in NZ , in

specific disciplines to help convince the Northern hemisphere that we do have snow and mountains and can stage such large events!!

I believe this is a necessary step in a long term plan which may end

with an Olympic Games bid, but suggest that is a long way off at this

time.

Barry Maister

I believe this is the right way to do things. NZ doesn’t have the winter sports infrastructure or sporting credibility to make a bid at the moment. To build up our infrastructure, go for more world cups and smaller events, build up a reputation with the International Federations and Northern hemisphere countries and increase our winter sporting performance our 15 years sounds like a pretty good plan to me. Kind of what Sydney did for 2000. If I’m correct, the planning for the 2000 bid started back in the mid 1970’s. I’m happy to see they are doing this the professional way and not jumping in the deep end.

I can't argue with that. Very realistic. At least the Kiwis are realists. Like speculation on Auckland's summer chances _ maybe sometime in the 2040s but depends on a lot of hard work building up to it in the meantime.

I think he's right. It's not so much the clash of seasons that is the weak point for the southern hemisphere contenders, but really that whole lack of winter sports culture and tradition down here that has led to so few results at the Winter Games. Once NZ does get a gold or two at the WOGs (after Australia gets a few more first heh heh), though, as well as raising the country's winter profile overseas, I'm sure it would also help in getting public opinion, enthusiasm and support domestically on side to get a bid going.

Once NZ does get a gold or two at the WOGs (after Australia gets a few more first heh heh)

Now Rotel, you can’t expect all the competition to fall in the final lap at every games lol.

The NZ Academy of Sport’s Winter Academy WOPP have projected that NZ will have regained it’s position as #1 winter sporting country in the southern hemisphere by 2010 and is aiming for distinction in Skeleton, Curling, Bobsleigh, Cross-Country and Snowboarding.

• 1 month later...
Once NZ does get a gold or two at the WOGs (after Australia gets a few more first heh heh)

Now Rotel, you can’t expect all the competition to fall in the final lap at every games lol.

The NZ Academy of Sport’s Winter Academy WOPP have projected that NZ will have regained it’s position as #1 winter sporting country in the southern hemisphere by 2010 and is aiming for distinction in Skeleton, Curling, Bobsleigh, Cross-Country and Snowboarding.

What are NZ's top prospects for medals in Torino?

Archived