VANOC Look of the Games

TOOOC

I'm not sure if these images have been shared here before, however I came across these renderings of what the VANOC Look of the Games could have looked like.

I'm disappointed that "the look" wasn't fully realized probably due to the budget.

The BCE Stadium Wrap, umbrellas in trees, painted crosswalks, the Olympic Rings painted in the middle of intersections and the Olympic Ring projections into the sky in Whistler would have helped further dress up the city.

Enjoy!

Louroz

vanoc-bg.jpg

vanoc-01.jpg

vanoc-02.jpg

vanoc-03.jpg

vanoc-04.jpg

vanoc-05.jpg

VANOC Look of the Games

Louroz

Edited by TOOOC

It is a shame that they cut back on some of those things - the wrap around BC Place and the floating lights and rings around False Creek. But I think a lot of those things wouldn't have happened even with all the money in the world. Those umbrellas wouldn't have lasted long and the trees would have been damaged by people trying to take a souvenir or two. Also, in some of those spaces...I don't think VANOC would have had the authority to go ahead with the plan. Much of it is private property - the Shangri-la and the shops on Robson, for example. These are great finds, though, but they probably represent only a "dream world" scenario.

Don't be bitter about it -- the Games were great nevertheless. Some more additional wraps and other kinds of decorations would have been only a cosmetical improvement most of TV spectators wouldn't have noticed anyway. And the visitors to Vancouver and Whistler obviously felt comfortable nevertheless.

And actually I'm glad that there weren't crosswalks and "umbrellas in trees" in the colours of the Games. That would have been cheesy and thus over the top.