What if bird flu affects the games?

Seamus, please change the color of your font.   No one can read that.  

It may be.  However, Beijing and the IOC will move heaven & earth so that it won't happen.  They don't like to talk about it, but in view of the change of venue of the FIFA Women's World Cup; there are probably contingency plans.  And the IOC takes out massive insurance for any Games cancellation.

If bird flu in humans got to at least the same level where SARS caused the relocation of FIFA Women's World Cup, you bet these Games will be cancelled.  

I think China knows it priorities.  They even said they would cancel the Games if the issue over Taiwan's independence got way out of hand.

Seeing that there are only 2 years left until Beijing, London would not be ready.  If a problem popped up and Beijing could not host 2008, the Games would most likely be moved to a city that had enough of a plan in place to take over on short notice.  London would not be one of those options because they are building for 2012 and wouldn't have enough facilities in place.

If Beijing pulled out tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised if Melbourne was considered as an alternate host.  Housing the athletes is the biggest problem in a quick fix games and Melbs has the Commonwealth Village.  But LA, Seoul, Athens and others would be considered.

Well, we'll probabaly never know.  And I hope we don't.  I think the Beijing Games will be spectacular.

mmmm...i just wanna say thanks.

to some people here.

And i think some of you should think about other people's feeling here.

I know China isn't good in some persons' mind.But i think some of you should be mellow.

How about Alice?  Maybe she could host the Olympics in Wonderland.  What do u think?  I just love the continuity of this thread -- and then we have those 11-year-old gimps -- or so they claim  :rolleyes:  -- showing off THEIR years of VAST experience after being on the board or on this earth for like 60 days.   :suspect:

How about Alice?  Maybe she could host the Olympics in Wonderland.  What do u think?  I just love the continuity of this thread -- and then we have those 11-year-old gimps -- or so they claim  :rolleyes:  -- showing off THEIR years of VAST experience after being on the board or on this earth for like 60 days.   :suspect:

Twelve thank you, and I do not plan to leave this board. Your stuck with me.

Seeing that there are only 2 years left until Beijing, London would not be ready.  If a problem popped up and Beijing could not host 2008, the Games would most likely be moved to a city that had enough of a plan in place to take over on short notice.  London would not be one of those options because they are building for 2012 and wouldn't have enough facilities in place.

If Beijing pulled out tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised if Melbourne was considered as an alternate host.  Housing the athletes is the biggest problem in a quick fix games and Melbs has the Commonwealth Village.  But LA, Seoul, Athens and others would be considered.

On the face of it,I think Seoul would be most appropriate to step in as it would be keeping the games in Asia.But as it will be 20 years since Seoul last staged them,I wonder if the venues and facilities would all be up to scratch in time for a re-run? Plus,a massive bird-flu epidemic would most likely affect closely neighbouring Korea as much as China!

That being the case I would opt for Sydney to step in as they would not be QUITE so recent as Athens,would probably still have all the venues and facilities available after just eight years,and the 2000 Games left such a pleasant memory for most people,especially the IOC.And Australia is situated far  enough away from everybody else so it is the most likely to be free from any infection!

Assuming a worst case scenario in which Beijing does have to cancel, how much notice would they have to give for a stand-in city to get ready on time. The venues may be ready in Sydney, for example, but getting the human resources in place again would take ages I would have thought.

NOTICE TO THE GRASS-WATCHERS, specially the mentally-challenged Expect the World...THIS IS A SERIOUS AND INTELLIGENT POST.  JUST IN CASE YOU MISS IT as you have many...

THe personnel and the VIllage(s) would be the biggest considerations.  Well, when LA was asked about standing in for Athens, the LA and USOC people said they needed at least 6 months.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

"Hong Kong’s Health, Food and Welfare Secretary, York Chow, told a press conference that in the event of a bird flu outbreak, equestrian events being held in Hong Kong as part of the 2008 Summer Olympic Games could be cancelled."

Where could they be held? Would Stockholm be prepared to help out again,like they did for Melbourne in 1956?

Seems questions about a possible outbreak are now being asked by the Chinese themselves,not just in this forum?