U.S. Olympic Bids

USA Gold

Depending on how 2020 goes, I feel the United States has a great chance to win the Games in 2024. Does anyone have any suggestions as to any cities that can surprise. I don't necessarily see a New York, Chicago, Los Angeles being the only cities to host in the country. As there are several others with the infrastructure to pull it off. Below are a list of possibilities.

St. Louis

http://www.facebook.com/pages/St-Louis-2024-Olympic-Bid-Committee/125527504131424

Philadelphia

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Summer-Olympics-Philadelphia-2024/337727639850

Boston

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=855862&id=125527504131424#!/group.php?gid=30170178997

Dallas

http://www.facebook.com/update_security_info.php?wizard=1#!/group.php?gid=27317295333

Depending on how 2020 goes, I feel the United States has a great chance to win the Games in 2024. Does anyone have any suggestions as to any cities that can surprise. I don't necessarily see a New York, Chicago, Los Angeles being the only cities to host in the country. As there are several others with the infrastructure to pull it off. Below are a list of possibilities.

St. Louis

http://www.facebook.com/pages/St-Louis-2024-Olympic-Bid-Committee/125527504131424

Philadelphia

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Summer-Olympics-Philadelphia-2024/337727639850

Boston

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=855862&id=125527504131424#!/group.php?gid=30170178997

Dallas

http://www.facebook.com/update_security_info.php?wizard=1#!/group.php?gid=27317295333

#1 - Welcome.

#2 - Look up past threads. Has been discussed to death in other threads.

#3 - In brief, US-2024 ain't gonna happen. It looks like the US will bid for Winter 2022...thus totally killing any 2024 summer bids. Besides, 2024 is probably going to Europe.

End of story.

#1 - Welcome.

#2 - Look up past threads. Has been discussed to death in other threads.

#3 - In brief, US-2024 ain't gonna happen. It looks like the US will bid for Winter 2022...thus totally killing any 2024 summer bids. Besides, 2024 is probably going to Europe.

End of story.

I just can't see a European city not winning in either 2020 or 2022 assuming Munich doesn't win the 2018 Winter Games. Below is how I see things shaping up in a perfect world. Of course a lot can happen in the next 6-7 years.

2018 - South Korea (Pyeong Chang)

2020 - South Africa (Durban)

2022 - Europe (Munich)

2024 - United States

I just can't see a European city not winning in either 2020 or 2022 assuming Munich doesn't win the 2018 Winter Games. Below is how I see things shaping up in a perfect world. Of course a lot can happen in the next 6-7 years.

2018 - South Korea (Pyeong Chang)

2020 - South Africa (Durban)

2022 - Europe (Munich)

2024 - United States

You also forget the other rules of (both) rotations:

1. Summer - until the Athens 2004 - London 2012 tandem, it was always every 3rd Summer went to Europe. I think after London 2012, that will return. So 2012 - Euro; 2016 - So. AMerica, 2020 - hopefully, Africa; 2024 - Europe.

2. Winter - the USA gets a WOGs every 20 years: notice: Squaw Valley 1960, Lake Placid 1980; Salt Lake 2002. So the USA is bound for another WOG in 2022. It is easier to give away a WOG on the IOC's part than a Summer one.

3. Then you have the "8"s returning to Asia: Seoul 1988; Nagano 1998; Beijing 2008, and it looks like PyongChang 2018. (And in between those 3 cycles, other locations fall into the cracks where they may.)

So a summer USA for 2024 is definitely NOT in the cards. 2028 will probably be Tokyo (or Istanbul); and then 2032 (which is LA 1932's centennial) might be ripe for the US again.

But check with the USOC. I don't think they are particularly optimistic for a US-SOG run for 2024.

You also forget the other rules of (both) rotations:

1. Summer - until the Athens 2004 - London 2012 tandem, it was always every 3rd Summer went to Europe. I think after London 2012, that will return. So 2012 - Euro; 2016 - So. AMerica, 2020 - hopefully, Africa; 2024 - Europe.

2. Winter - the USA gets a WOGs every 20 years: notice: Squaw Valley 1960, Lake Placid 1980; Salt Lake 2002. So the USA is bound for another WOG in 2022. It is easier to give away a WOG on the IOC's part than a Summer one.

3. Then you have the "8"s returning to Asia: Seoul 1988; Nagano 1998; Beijing 2008, and it looks like PyongChang 2018. (And in between those 3 cycles, other locations fall into the cracks where they may.)

So a summer USA for 2024 is definitely NOT in the cards. 2028 will probably be Tokyo (or Istanbul); and then 2032 (which is LA 1932's centennial) might be ripe for the US again.

But check with the USOC. I don't think they are particularly optimistic for a US-SOG run for 2024.

I just can't see the United States going until 2032 without hosting the Summer Games. That would be 36 years between games. For all of the money that United States corporations bring to the Olympic Movement, I just can't see the IOC continuing to slap the U.S. in the face. At some point, I don't want to say an ultimatum needs to be made, but U.S. companies and the USOC need to let the IOC know that without U.S. support the movement would be in major financial trouble. After all, the IOC really provides nothing but the "Olympic" name.

They already "slapped" the US enough. The IOC is firmly anti-American, in return the TV networks should play hardball. And I think USOC should not even think about bidding again until 2038 or 2040. Maybe by the 2030's the rest of the World will be contributing their fair share in IOC revenues, or the lack of US interest will have brought the IOC ego down to size and we would have a fair chance. But as for now, the US makes up 60% of the IOC's budget and we still get crapped on, so screw them.

They already "slapped" the US enough. The IOC is firmly anti-American, in return the TV networks should play hardball. And I think USOC should not even think about bidding again until 2038 or 2040. Maybe by the 2030's the rest of the World will be contributing their fair share in IOC revenues, or the lack of US interest will have brought the IOC ego down to size and we would have a fair chance. But as for now, the US makes up 60% of the IOC's budget and we still get crapped on, so screw them.

Perhaps the USOC needs to start the New Olympic Games, kind of how the Lutherans split from the Catholic Church way back when. And thanks to the Stevens Act, the USOC owns the Olympic rights in the U.S., so there would be nothing standing in their way. And if you made it enticing enough for other countries, I think you would see the IOC cave in no time. And there needs to be a fair rotating system so all six continents host the games in a six year span. And if a continent doesn't have a good enough bid, then you go to the next one on the list. That would really save cities and countries for bidding on games that have no chance of winning.

Perhaps the USOC needs to start the New Olympic Games, kind of how the Lutherans split from the Catholic Church way back when. And thanks to the Stevens Act, the USOC owns the Olympic rights in the U.S., so there would be nothing standing in their way. And if you made it enticing enough for other countries, I think you would see the IOC cave in no time. And there needs to be a fair rotating system so all six continents host the games in a six year span. And if a continent doesn't have a good enough bid, then you go to the next one on the list. That would really save cities and countries for bidding on games that have no chance of winning.

Been there done that...it was called The Goodwill Games. Go look it up on Wikipedia.

You wanna know something about your precious US companies that spend so much on the Olympics? They are more than happy to see the Olympics reach out to different corners of the world...especially ones where they can build and expand their brands. Visa, GE, P&G, McDonalds, Coca-Cola...they may all have their roots in America, but the growth opportunities for them are in places like China and Brazil. And they aren't so much American companies as they are global companies that just happen to have their headquarters in the USA. So don't expect them to gun for the IOC to bring the Olympics back to the USA. If anything, they'd probably like to see the Olympics springboard them in to India or Russia or the Middle East. Not Indiana, Alaska or the Mid West.

Anyway, I don't know so many people say that the US was "slapped in the face" by the IOC. Someone has to lose and pretty much everyone knew that 2012 was Europe bound and 2016 was being set up for Rio. Chicago and New York simply bid at the wrong time, and with recent Games in Salt Lake and Atlanta, and yes, even Los Angeles, the USOC made a mistake in chasing after the prize so soon (and ironically, I think 2020 is their most opportune time - possibly an even peachier geopolitical situation than Atlanta had when they won the 1996 Games). But then again, the USOC is pretty good at causing itself a lot of grief.

They already "slapped" the US enough. The IOC is firmly anti-American

So the United States has been awarded 8 Olympic Games (only 6 other countries have been three) and hosted 3 of the past 13 editions. How could you possibly say the IOC is anti-American? Just because the IOC has decided to stop spoiling the always "wanting" brat that is the United States doesnt make them anti-American. Wait your turn. You've hosted more Olympics Games than Asia; home to 2/3 of the world's population.

It's funny how any thread about the USA bidding becomes a hot topic, and brings out the anti-American part of gamesbids. I don't think the IOC is as anti-American as this forum, or as pro-Australian/Canadian.

.....even trying to claim American companies as global that "just happen" to have their headquarters in the US. kinds pathetic. They are American companies that have global headquarters all around the World, and world headquarters in the US. We just have to laugh at your envy dipped in hatred (the usual).

p.s. been meaning to say...Vancouver kinds sucked a little, destined to be one of the forgotten Olympics.

<br />Guess the USOC should dump its BMW sponsorship then ...<br />
<br /><br /><br />

...that has nothing to do with anything.

Well, if the USOC is taking money from Munich, I guess they're beholden to support hosting bids by Germany now.

Well, Germany will probably soon decide to bid for 2020 - the likely German applicant city will be Rome, as soon as the Italian government gets their Euro bailout request in to the Bundesbank.

OK, OK...

If Europe doesn't get 2020, then any non-European country should not even consider bidding for 2024. I have a feeling that we are going to throw together a bid for 2022. I just can't see us sitting out two bidding cycles in a row. It is easy to say now that 2016 was bad timing, but many (if not most) of us had real doubts of a triumphant Rio in 2006/2007. 2016 was a year for the Americas, and the soonest chance we will have at another Summer Games is 2028 in my opinion.

Bottom line, we were spoiled. We hosted two winter games, two summer games, a world cup and a PanAms over the short span of 22 years. No country has ever hosted so many events like that in such a short span of time. Now we are going 20+ years hosting no major international sporting competitions. Hopefully that will allow people outside the U.S. to get over their ill feelings toward an American Olympics.

Well, Germany will probably soon decide to bid for 2020 - the likely German applicant city will be Rome, as soon as the Italian government gets their Euro bailout request in to the Bundesbank.

Italy is too big to be bailed out by Germany or anybody else :)

we are in this alone

Archived