Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reno-tahoe 2022

Munich 2018 Bid

This is my fist post so bare with me, I think Munich's Bid Committee shouldv'e used Rupholding for it's Biathlon, Cross Country and Nordic Combined Venue. I know it's further to go, but it's no further than Konigssee and would be a new permanent venue, unlike the temporary there currently gonna use for there bid. I still thik though Munich is gonna win the race. Tell me ehat you think. Go Munich 2018!!!!!!

This is my fist post so bare with me, I think Munich's Bid Committee shouldv'e used Rupholding for it's Biathlon, Cross Country and Nordic Combined Venue. I know it's further to go, but it's no further than Konigssee and would be a new permanent venue, unlike the temporary there currently gonna use for there bid. I still thik though Munich is gonna win the race. Tell me ehat you think. Go Munich 2018!!!!!!

Welcome to the forum. This point you make is, of course, not new to us -- but in my opinion, it's a good point.

But I think that the argument the bid committee uses for building a temporary biathlon/cross country/nordic combined venue near Garmisch isn't bad either: They want to concentrate as many disciplines as possible at one place. They didn't want to create a second Albertville with extremely spread-out venues, but they strongly rely on the cluster concept which was also used in Torino and Vancouver. They don't want to spread the Olympic atmosphere so thin that it's almost not noticeable anymore, but they want to concentrate it in two centres plus one sliding venue. Ice sports (apart from the sliding sports) in Munich, snow sports in Garmisch -- simple and effective.

I understand very well that Ruhpolding as existing and well-established biathlon venue would have a lot of charme. But I personally prefer the bid committee's concept nevertheless, even if it means that a temporary venue for biathlong, cross country and nordic combined has to be built. Plus: For nordic combined, it would be a big logistical problem if the athletes had to do their ski jumping part in Garmisch and from there, and then had to travel two hours (at least) by bus to Ruhpolding to do their cross country part there. So at least for nordic combined, one would have needed a temporary cross country venue at Garmisch anyway.

Welcome, reno-tahoe 2022.

I have a suggestion. Change your name early to something OTHER than a possible bid name. You will find in further conversations, it is GOING TO BE VERY CONFUSING when anyone communicating w/ you AND THEN discussing the ACTUAL Reno-Tahoe 2022 in the same breath. Believe me...we've been thru this before!!

[Why can't NEW posters just use something else instead of bid/Olympic appellations? I mean you/they DON'T REALLY REPRESENT the upcoming bids such as Reno-Tahoe 2022 bid...so why take on that name?]

Apparently it is said, that due to major problems they may change some of their plan soon...

Apparently it is said, that due to major problems they may change some of their plan soon...

What are you talking about? The only changes that could occur to the bid comittee is that they have to find alternate space for some of the surroundings of the ski venues in Garmisch (due to the protests of the farmers who own the land property the organisers need for their original plans).

But there are no major changes planned.

And also, we were talking here about Ruhpolding as a biathlon/cross country/nordic combined venue instead of the temporary venue near Garmisch. And I have not heard that they actually muse about shifting to Ruhpolding.