Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LuigiVercotti

Greatest Sports Moment of 2010

19 members have voted

1. 1. What was the greatest sports moment of 2010

• Sebastian Vettel Winning the F1 GP
    • Vancouver 2010 Closing Ceremony/Cauldron
    • Spanish Victory in the 2010 World Cup
    • South Africa's hosting of and performance in the 2010 World Cup
    • John Isner and Nicolas Mahut at Wimbledon
    • German win over Argentine 2010 WC
    • Canada winning Vancouver Ice Hockey men's Gold
    • Joannie Rochette claiming a bronze medal at the Vancouver Games
    • Inter Milan Winning Champions League Final
    • Nodar Kumaritashvili's memorial at the 2010 Vancouver OWGs
    • Neil Robertson wins the World Snooker Championship
    • Landon Donovan in the 2010 SA World Cup

As per Olympian2004's previous thread which he has asked me to post as a poll, here are the options for Greatest Sporting Moment of 2010 as nominated by members. Poll closes January 31st CET.

That Wimbledon match was fantastic. Anyone from Melbourne or Australia going to the Aussie Open?

Yes, I might. Thank you opening the poll! And to all folks out there: I know it has gotten late with this poll, but please give your votes nevertheless! What was impressive in 2010 is probaby still impressive on January 19, 2011. ;)

Hey folks! 15 members voted so far -- that's not bad, but since we all watched sports last year: Please vote!

John Isner and Nicolas Mahut at Wimbledon gets my vote, even if it is stretching the definition of a sporting "moment" to breaking point. We'll never see anything quite like that again, and I don't just mean in tennis. I still can't believe it happened really.

John Isner and Nicolas Mahut at Wimbledon gets my vote, even if it is stretching the definition of a sporting "moment" to breaking point. We'll never see anything quite like that again, and I don't just mean in tennis. I still can't believe it happened really.

Totally concur.I know I'm probably biased because I'm a tennis lover but the Isner-Mahut first round match at Wimbledon 2010 was so extraordinary that I can't think of any other sporting 'moment' to match it.It held everyone's breath including many of the other players who were crowding round watching it.Towards the end,I think there were more people trying to get into that little outside court than were queuing up for Centre LOL! :lol:

Got my vote.

Eusebius set January 31st CET as deadline for the poll. Here in the CET zone, it's 10:34 a.m. now - so you still have 13 1/2 hours left of this January 31st for voting (poll closes at 1800 Eastern, 2300 GMT, 2400 CET). Please vote, if you still wanted too!

And the polling time has ended.

You have decided: The greatest sports moment of 2010 was... *fake drumroll as if nobody knows it already ;)*

alg_isner_score_board.jpg

...the longest tennis match in history, the epic 11:05 hours battle between John Isner and Nicolas Mahut in Wimbledon!

Congratulations!

And the polling time has ended.

You have decided: The greatest sports moment of 2010 was... *fake drumroll as if nobody knows it already ;)*

alg_isner_score_board.jpg

...the longest tennis match in history, the epic 11:05 hours battle between John Isner and Nicolas Mahut in Wimbledon!

Congratulations!

Oh really? I never even heard of it. (I don't pay attention to tennis.) But WOW!! Maybe that's why I don't watch tennis. :lol:

And that picture doesn't even show the final score Baron. The final set was 70-68 to Isner!

Loads more about it here, including the records set during the match (to put it into perspective the final set itself was longer than the previous longest ever match).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isner%E2%80%93Mahut_match_at_the_2010_Wimbledon_Championships

Perhaps the funniest thing about that match was that the BBC put a new commentator on it. They thought they'd give the guy a nice low-profile match on one of the outside courts to break him into commentary gently! :lol: