Daegu 2011 Athletics-WCh

There wont be a broadcasting of an Athletic-WCh for the first time in Germany. Just two years after Athletics regain some public support wit the WCh in Berlin! ARD/ZDF, the national broadcasters dont buy the rights for 15 mio €. They claim the high price and the unperfect time zone for the German audience.

For the first time IAAF didnt sell the rights to the EBU. They sold it to a media agency. This agency is now trying to sell it nation to nation. No luck here in Germany, We will rely on an internet stream!

What... the... f***???

This is outrageous, although I can understand that ARD and ZDF didn't want to pay such a high prize. Especially bearing in mind that athletics (sadly) have become rather a minority sport (at least in terms of TV ratings) in Germany.

OK, since I'll have to work anyway during the WCH, I would have probably rarely gotten the chance to watch the competitions live. But nevertheless, I'm saddened by this decision. Actually ARD and ZDF only boycotted big sports events due to doping so far (--> Tour de France...).

Archived