Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LuigiVercotti

Sad 24 Hours in Australian Rock

Two Aussie rock legends passed away this weekend, ex-Sherbet/Mississippi guitarist Harvey James (58, lung cancer) and ex-Cold Chisel/LRB drummer Steve Prestwich (56, brain tumour).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfFQ7d3GqEE

For any Aussie growing up in the 70s and 80s the likes of Sherbet, Little River Band and Cold Chisel were bands that defined our generation. Sad to see the loss of these key personnel from our Countdown/RockArena/Sounds/Nightmoves years.

On a personal note, I just learned that an aunt of mine by marriage just passed away this A.M. at her home in New York City. One of the sweetest, gentlest persons I had ever known, Aunt Gloria would've been 96 next week. She was a frail, tiny lady (weighing in under 95 lbs; and had a pacemaker for the last 15 years or so), was already badly deteriorated by Alzheimer's, yet she hung on until almost 96!! Amazing!!

On a personal note, I just learned that an aunt of mine by marriage just passed away this A.M. at her home in New York City. One of the sweetest, gentlest persons I had ever known, Aunt Gloria would've been 96 next week. She was a frail, tiny lady (weighing in under 95 lbs; and had a pacemaker for the last 15 years or so), was already badly deteriorated by Alzheimer's, yet she hung on until almost 96!! Amazing!!

Sorry for your loss Baron...

Some people have a gift for clinging to life,no matter what.Others,as we know,are sadly not so lucky! She sounds like a wonderful lady.My condolences.

I wasn't acquainted with the Australian rock stars but actress Susannah York,one of the stars of cinema in the 1960s and 1970s,has died of cancer at the age of 72.She was nominated for an Oscar and Golden Globe for the 1969 film 'They Shoot Horses, Don't They' but I'll personally never forget her performance in the 1968 British film,'The Killing of Sister George'.

Susannah York

Some people have a gift for clinging to life,no matter what.Others,as we know,are sadly not so lucky! She sounds like a wonderful lady.My condolences.

I wasn't acquainted with the Australian rock stars but actress Susannah York,one of the stars of cinema in the 1960s and 1970s,has died of cancer at the age of 72.She was nominated for an Oscar and Golden Globe for the 1969 film 'They Shoot Horses, Don't They' but I'll personally never forget her performance in the 1968 British film,'The Killing of Sister George'.

Susannah York

Must admit I was shocked to hear about Susannah York yesterday...was driving home and heard the news and thought that it's not that long ago she was a leading British film star. But then again it was long ago :o

Her fave role/performance for my mind were as Sophia Weston in 'Tom Jones' and she had a fairly important part to play in the renaissance of the Aussie film industry with 'Eliza Frazer'. She didn't do too badly as a WAAF in 'The Battle of Britain' either.