2020 Olympic Games Bids

Rafa

IOC announce timetable for 2020 Olympic bids

By Duncan Mackay in Lausanne

British Sports Internet Writer of the Year

January 12 - Cities planning to put themselves forward to host the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics today found out the timetable for the bid process, with the final decision due to be announced by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) at its 125th session in the Argentinian capital Buenos Aires on September 7, 2013.

The IOC's ruling Executive Board today approved the timings for the bid process which has already attracted strong interest from several cities, including Doha, Dubai, Istanbul, Madrid, Rome and Tokyo.

The IOC plans to circulate the 205 National Olympic Committees before the end of this month to see if they are interested in putting forward a candidate.

They will then have until May 16 to submit the name of an applicant city, which will coincide with the publication of the 2020 Candidature Acceptance Procedure.

Applicant cities will have until July 29, 2011, to inform the IOC if they propose to hold the Games outside the normal Olympic Games window, which is between July 15 and August 31.

This is crucial because three years ago Doha were knocked out in the preliminary stages because their proposed dates did not meet the published criteria, although they claimed that IOC President Jacques Rogge had led them to believe that they could host the Games outside the window, just as Sydney had done in 2000.

This is likely to be even more scrutinised on this occasion following FIFA's controversial decision last month to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar and the subsequent proposal to move the tournament from its traditional June/July slot to January to avoid the scorching summer heat in the Middle East.

The final deadline to confirm the submission of applicant cities is on September 1, which follows the election of the host city of the 2018 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, which is due to be announced at the IOC Session in Durban on July 6.

The IOC plan to hold an information seminar for the cities in Lausanne in October before they have to submit the application file and guarantee letters by February 15, 2012.

The IOC's Executive Board will choose the candidate cities at a meeting in May 2012 and they will attend the London 2012 Olympics as part of the IOC's observer programme.

The IOC have recommended that the London 2012 debrief is held in Rio de Janeiro, the host for 2016, in November and the bid cities then have until the beginning of January 2013 to prepare and deliver their Candidate Files.

The visits of the IOC Evaluation Commission are scheduled for March and April 2013 with the report due to be published in June, the same month that there will be a Candidate City briefing for IOC members.

The election of the host city will then take part in Buenos Aires, which is due to be the last act of IOC President Jacques Rogge before he steps down.

Contact the writer of this story at duncan.mackay@insidethegames.bizThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^yeah really. Especially since what "strong" interest has cities like Tokyo & Dubai shown (other than maybe a peep of some news that they might be interested). Surely Durban has portrayed much stronger interest & motion.

And interest how the 2020 timeline is pretty different than previous bid races. And I see the IOC is moving the Summer announcements back to September.

The IOC's ruling Executive Board today approved the timings for the bid process which has already attracted strong interest from several cities, including Doha, Dubai, Istanbul, Madrid, Rome and Tokyo.

I love these applicant cities!!!

Candidates: Madrid, Rome, Tokyo

Fighting for the last spot: Doha, Dubai, Istanbul

Missing: Durban

They will then have until May 16 to submit the name of an applicant city, which will coincide with the publication of the 2020 Candidature Acceptance Procedure.

Applicant cities will have until July 29, 2011, to inform the IOC if they propose to hold the Games outside the normal Olympic Games window, which is between July 15 and August 31.

The final deadline to confirm the submission of applicant cities is on September 1, which follows the election of the host city of the 2018 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, which is due to be announced at the IOC Session in Durban on July 6.

What I don't like is the first date: May 16. It's just one week before the elections in Madrid and it has already been said that the city would wait until they take place to decide if they bid or not. However, it seems the real deadline in September 1, so I hope they do not forget to tell the IOC they are interested. The problem would be if another Spanish city wanted to bid :unsure: and Valencia wants.

^^ I would axe Dubai if they go for October. Especially since they've pretty much given up some of the sporting events awarded to them due to lack of suitable venue, as well as the effective stopping of much of construction works in the city. The idea of them needlessly spending billions just to complete the skyline in time would be absurd.

Istanbul will make it, if they bid, it will be a 4 city minimum race.

The Africa pull is definitely there but I think there is a large-ish gap for a surprise entry/applicant. On paper we should see up to 10 applicants, if not more.

Its perhaps impossible, but one can imagine Paris sliding into this 2020 race or another stellar city and causing much concern for fellow bidders

Yup, and I only see 3 serious, viable Candidate cities: Rome, Tokyo, Durban.

Madrid? Istanbul? Doha?

I'd rule out Dubai instantly purely on a risk and financial basis. I hoping Doha doesn't bid. I fail to see how the IOC could perform an about-turn on their position of not short-listing Doha last time around. Unless they come up with some kind of way to mitigate the heat for outdoor events, I fail to see how the IOC could ever consider Qatar.

Madrid will still suffer from the influence of Barcelona 92 and it perhaps won't garner as many Latin votes as it did in 2012 given 2016 is already going to Rio. For Madrid to mount a successful bid it will have to over come the significant hurdle of showing that it is the better and more suited European candidate than Rome (or perhaps another city, Paris?). Despite the comparatively weaker field, this could perhaps be the hardest race for Madrid to win.

I could see Istanbul being a strong candidate if it were to bid, but will suffer from not being the only "new frontier" in the race.

Madrid is not scared of Rome or Paris. Beating Chicago and Tokyo in Copenhagen when everything was against them made them more self-confident. They have said they're just a bit worried about the role of the Africa factor. However, now the IOC has announced the deadlines for 2020, Madrid officials have spoken.

I've taken the following from Spanish newspaper Marca (here you have it, in Spanish) and used an online translator. I've changed the most terrible mistakes, but there are still some of them so don't take this all to the letter:

Gallardón: "There is term more than sufficient to present the candidacy Madrid 2020"

Municipal elections will be held on May 22 and the deadline is September 1.

The mayor of Madrid, Alberto Ruiz-Gallardón, assured that "there is term more than sufficient" to present the candidacy of Madrid to host the Olympic Games 2020 before September 1, in spite of the municipal elections that will be celebrated on May 22.

Gallardón held in the press conference later to the Meeting of Government that these decisions must be chargeable to "the next and not salient corporations", that is to say, at the expense of the team of municipal government that ensues from the assemblies of May.

The mayor made clear that the presentation of the candidacy would be "a formal notification" that is sent to the International Olympic Committee after adopting a plenary decision. Then, in a later phase, the dossiers are elaborated.

This way, once constituted, the new municipal corporation "needs one day" in which they adopt the decision to present the candidacy of Madrid to the Games, for which it is "obvious" that it is sufficient time.

Gallardón also said he has "full confidence in the drug policy of the Government of Spain" and is convinced that "any decision" on this matter to take, "will be attuned to any Spanish city and with Madrid."

And I have to say I believe he will win in the elections again, but in case he didn't, the other possible candidate is the current Secretary of State for Sport, and he has also said he supports the idea of bidding again.

I fear PyongChang's winning on its 3rd try will only bolster Madrid's delusional "3rd time's a charm" mantra (Altho of course, they also lost in 1966 for the 1972 Games). I don't know why the Castilians can't see that Bercelona 92 is their biggest liability. But then again, one shouldn't forget that Don Quixote comes from this region.

I said on "paper" given how wide open this race is, we should see 10 cities, but obviously it could be totally dependent on the economy, marketing frenzy by the IOC etc. and the impact of Qatar 2022...if they can....anybody can?

Rio 2016 might mean a few more new frontiers as well as some of the old guard who believe the IOC will not go to new frontiers again.

As for Madrid, its unfortunate how poorly they have marketed the city in previous bids.

It has good energy and tons of venues in place and a Metro that with the odd direct event service would provide a fast easy travel time between venues.

It also needs to see its City Centre as a core area of the Games, whether its Bernabeu or fan sites etc.

I said on "paper" given how wide open this race is, we should see 10 cities, but obviously it could be totally dependent on the economy, marketing frenzy by the IOC etc. and the impact of Qatar 2022...if they can....anybody can?

Rio 2016 might mean a few more new frontiers as well as some of the old guard who believe the IOC will not go to new frontiers again.

As for Madrid, its unfortunate how poorly they have marketed the city in previous bids.

It has good energy and tons of venues in place and a Metro that with the odd direct event service would provide a fast easy travel time between venues.

It also needs to see its City Centre as a core area of the Games, whether its Bernabeu or fan sites etc.

Raf, except you've never really felt Madrid in July!! I have!! Nothing can be done outdoors during the day in a Madrid July.

I suppose Madrid could use the "if Qatar got 2022, why can't we?" argument -- without mentioning that it's probably going to be done in January. On 2nd thought, Madrid might get the Winter Games this way, and NOT Zaragosa!! :lol:

You liked it? ;)

I agree they should market the city more. I'd use the city centre for the end of the road cycling races (the same as the last stage of the Vuelta a España) and maybe for the marathon events too. Madrid may not have a widely known monument, but the main street, the Paseo de la Castellana, could work well on TV for those events, with the Cuatro Torres Business Area, the KIO Towers, the AZCA financial area and why not going along the following street until the cyclists reach the Fountain of Cibeles and the Alcalá Gate :rolleyes:

Raf, except you've never really felt Madrid in July!! I have!! Nothing can be done outdoors during the day in a Madrid July.

C'mon! I also have and it's a wonderful weather! And if events are held later in the evening it might be good for American television.

However, if you consider Madrid too hot, the same can be said about Rome or Athens, and they have both hosted the Games.

However, if you consider Madrid too hot, the same can be said about Rome or Athens, and they have both hosted the Games.

True. I just keep wondering why the IOC (and its FIFA counterpart) keeps picking the hot cities? Oh I know why. 95% of the IOC / FIFA members are NOT outdoor athletes...so they wouldn't know what it's like to run or kick during the day. Or maybe it's keeping up the tradition of old Olympia. It was like 95 deg F around mid-day there in July!! But with only 1 or 2 events a day during the ancient times, I am sure they were held in the late afternoon!!

I'd say the 2020 applicant list will be like 2016's, 7 or 8 cities (max). May 16th is the day the IOC sents out the invitations to the NOC's if they'd like to present a city. Sept 1st is the official deadline.

I can't see Germany or France (unless they been secretly working behind the scenes despite their 2018 efforts). And as far as Asia goes, maybe Japan (& a more far-off chance, South Korea, but they're really busy & dedicated to their 3rd winter attempt with 2018). And any bid coming from the Americas' would be futile considering Rio 2016.

So I'd say at this point, we'll most likely at least see; Rome, Durban & Istanbul. The 'maybes'; Tokyo (or Hiroshima), Madrid, & Doha.

Doha.

Doha, really? After winning World Cup 2022, I think they would look extremely foolish if they think they can actually stage a Summer (a TRUE summer) Olympics just 2 years before that AND WIN IT? Not unless they again say they are going to DONATE all venues (save 3) to under-privileged countries -- what sort of legacy picture can they present? 9 football stadia, an Olympic Village, one Olympic stadium, a dozen indoor arenas, mountain bike trails, a rowing basin, equestrian arena, training sites, etc., etc. -- whakindda of a legacy and practical use would a Doha 2020 present? Then short of buying the BEST athletes in the world in every sport...I doubt that they can even field a team of 400-600 that a summer host normally fields.

Why don't they throw in an Expo 2021 for sheer laughs? :lol:

we have a saying in turkish .... arap yağı bol bulunca kıçına sürermiş.... when arab has a lot of oil he grease his ass with it .... means unmannerliness and wasting....

lol

defintly suits if doha or dubai get the 2020 games.. to much money dont know where to spend ...:D

Madrid is no hotter than my home city of Perth during the peak of its summer.

Surely there is scope to push the Games into August or September as was the case for Beijing and Sydney. I can't say I've ever heard of the heat being the reason for Madrid's past two failures.

Doha, really? After winning World Cup 2022, I think they would look extremely foolish if they think they can actually stage a Summer (a TRUE summer) Olympics just 2 years before that AND WIN IT?

I did put Doha in my 'maybes' list, not the 'most likely' list. And even if they do bid, I think with Istanbul in there that'll cancel each other out.

Doha was ruled out of 2016 because of the heat.

Unless something dramatic has changed in the IOC's policy towards climate, how could a Doha bid be considered ever again? It is simply too hot.

I simply can't understand how Doha could be left off the short-list in 2016 predominately because of climate, and somehow overcome such a massive hurdle and make the list for 2020.

I'm not saying that Doha would make the cut. Only speculating that they could be an "applicant" city.

And besides, part of the IOC's 2020 timetable informs that cities proposing to hold the Games outside the usual timeframe of July 15th - Aug 31st, have until July 29, 2011 to explain their plans. So apparently, the IOC is suggesting that that'll at least look into such proposals.

I'm not saying that Doha would make the cut. Only speculating that they could be an "applicant" city.

And besides, part of the IOC's 2020 timetable informs that cities proposing to hold the Games outside the usual timeframe of July 15th - Aug 31st, have until July 29, 2011 to explain their plans. So apparently, the IOC is suggesting that that'll at least look into such proposals.

Isn't this standard protocol though? If I recall correctly, there was a lot of questions over Sydney proposing to host the Games in September despite the July-August time frame. Even in September and October the average temperature in Doha is still above 30 degree....some five degrees hotter than it is in Madrid at the height of the European summer (July).

The only months I'd consider acceptable for a SOG's in Doha would be November, December, January, February and March; months completely UNACCEPTABLE to the IOC.

..and the IOC won't be bending over backwards to accommodate Qatar..unlike FIFA.

Idk if it's standard protocol. All I can say is that step wasn't there for 2012 nor 2016. Hence why Doha got nixed for 2016.

Perhaps that little element is just PR to give the IOC some leverage & not be accused of anything like they for were for Doha's early elimination for 2016, despite meeting the technical benchmark.

Archived