Munich 2018 : the bid book

memorabilia

Great stuff! Now one can feel that it's really official that Munich is in the race for the 2018 Games.

But I wished I could have a printed copy of the bid book -- I don't like reading long texts on the screen. 208 pages are a little bit too much for my printer ink resources -- and I'm too lazy to go to a copy shop to print it there... ;)

Anyway, here's an interesting thing I gathered so far from my first glimpse into the bid book:

Munich would stage the Games from February 9 to February 25, 2018. That's no surprise since (as far as I know) also Annecy and Pyeongchang plan for the same dates. And it's also no surprise that Munich chose those dates because for the good climate in that time period and the lack of conflicts with the international winter sports schedule. But I was surprised to read this (since I'm from a German state without winter vacations):

Finally, these dates coincide with the annual schedule of winter vacations for schools and families in the region, boosting the number of volunteers available for the Games while helping to reduce traffic and free up additional capacity on the public transport system. The Bavarian Ministry of Education will optimise the school vacation schedule for the Games to give more young people an opportunity to participate in the celebration.

I looked it up: Bavaria has always one week of winter vacations, either in February or the first half of March. Wouldn't it be great if all Bavarian schoolchildren got two weeks of winter vacations in 2018 and could therefore spend even more time at the Games? In return, they could shorten the ten-to-eleven-days-long Pentecost vacations the Bavarian children also have (lucky bastards! :P).

I haven't read the complete bid book so far, but I am very pleased what I have read so far - it seems a very good bid and I cross my fingers that Munich receives the honour to host the Winter Olympics in 2018

I'm agree it's a good bid book, I hope to read Annecy Bid book and PC bid book to compare !!!

Someone have some new about other bid book?

Another surprising thing I learned about Munich (just by picking a random page out of the bid book, it's page 43 of volume 1):

The quality of the drinking water in Munich is outstanding. It is completely natural, rich in vital minerals and considered one of Europe’s best drinking waters, which is why the city has branded it as ‘M-Wasser’.

:lol: I'm really surprised that such things have to mentioned in a bid book, too.

To get serious again -- what will probably be of interest especially for Baron/Myles:

Munich wants to spend 62.5 million Euros (about 73 million US dollars in September 2010 prizes) for ceremonies and culture, of which 24.38 million € (about $ 28.5 million) are for the opening and 16.22 million € (about $ 19 million) are for the closing ceremony. These are preliminary figures, of course -- we all know that these figures could change by the time they are actually planning the ceremonies.

You can find those information on page 57 of vol. 1.

Another interesting thing -- they have a fictitious e-mail of an athlete in 2018 in their "Olympic Villages" chapter (page 43 in vol. 2). Here it goes:

Subject: E-Mail from the Olympic Village

Sent: 2 February 2018

To: lauraandgeorge@aol.com

Dear Mom & Dad:

We got settled into our rooms at the Olympic Village in

Munich yesterday and the whole team is thrilled. Coach

said it’s the best village he’s ever seen since everything is so

close. I’m in a superb apartment with Bill, Daniel and Emilio

and we’ve got a great set up with free WIFI. Last night, the

Organising Committee held a wonderful welcoming ceremony

for us just after the Russian team and before the Chinese

team and we did a lot of pin trading out on the Plaza. On

the way back, we stopped at the Village Café on our block

and I met a sweet Italian ice dancer named Valeria but she

had to run before I got her number. I didn’t see her today at

breakfast in the big dining hall but I’m going to try to track

her down once my competition is over.

This place is going to be great for our team. The coach and

a few of our German hosts led us on a walking tour of the

Park today. It’s really beautiful and the Olympic Rings are

flying everywhere. All the training centres and competition

venues are actually within walking distance but we’ll be

taking the shuttles which are really swift and easy. On the

tour, we walked through the venues for Ice Hockey, Figure

Skating, Curling, Short Track and Speed Skating and then

they took us into the 1972 Olympic Stadium, where we’ll

march into the Opening Ceremony. It’s literally five minutes

from the Village gate. The Games are still a few days away

but I already feel like the Germans have figured out just how

to turn this celebration into the Festival of Friendship they

promised. It’s cold and snowy and this place has a magical

atmosphere already.

Gotta run. We’re going down to the fitness centre with the

coach. Can’t wait till you get here next week. I can hop on

the train and be in the city in a matter of minutes and I’m

really looking forward to exploring Munich once our events

are over.

Love, Michael

To get serious again -- what will probably be of interest especially for Baron/Myles:

Munich wants to spend 62.5 million Euros (about 73 million US dollars in September 2010 prizes) for ceremonies and culture, of which 24.38 million € (about $ 28.5 million) are for the opening and 16.22 million € (about $ 19 million) are for the closing ceremony. These are preliminary figures, of course -- we all know that these figures could change by the time they are actually planning the ceremonies.

You can find those information on page 57 of vol. 1.

Did you see that they didn't just want to make an Opening Ceremony only, but they want to do a public celebration on the Theresienwiese?

Not only will the Games start with the

largest Opening Ceremony audience in Winter Games history

– 70,000 – but the city will host the largest public celebration

ever on Munich’s famed Theresienwiese, the grounds of the

Oktoberfest, the largest annual party in the world.

Non seulement les Jeux s’ouvriront

à l’occasion d’une cérémonie qui enregistrera le plus grand

nombre de spectateurs – 70 000 – de l’histoire des Jeux d’hiver,

mais la ville accueillera également la plus grande célébration jamais

encore organisée, sur la célèbre Theresienwiese de Munich,

le site de l’Oktoberfest, la plus grande fête annuelle au monde.

page: 12 (volume 1) of the pdf-file - page 21 / 22 (volume 1) of the bid book

Did you see that they didn't just want to make an Opening Ceremony only, but they want to do a public celebration on the Theresienwiese?

That's a fantastic idea. I guess that means it would either be like a "Fan Fest" with a public screening of the opening ceremony or it would take place shortly before the opening ceremony (maybe on opening day, until the start of the ceremony). Or maybe both? It would offer a great sight if during the opening ceremony, the cameras would switch occasionally to the public celebration. Maybe the Olympic Torch could also pass the Theresienwiese on its final leg to the Olympic Stadium?

Anyway, they obviously try to incorporate the "Fan Fests" which Germany invented for the 2006 World Cup also into the 2018 Olympic Winter Games.

Now that I'm getting to know the plans they provide in their bid book, I'm starting to become really eager for the Games coming to Munich!

This candidature is an absolute joy to read. Excellence. Elegance.

Oh and thumbs up for the modular technology of the Speed Skating Oval, the same concept as Salzburg 2014, designed by Nussli.

This means any major concerns the IOC raised about a long span structure...well if Nussli can't do it, nobody can.

Modular_Speed_Skating_Hall_2014.jpg

Well, so far they are only potential Olympic venues... ;) I guess that the block plans would be made available to the public on the website soon enough if Munich should get the Games. I don't remember that previous Olympic hosts published the block plans at such an early stage either...

Archived