1 Year Anniversary Celebrations

TOOOC

The 1 year anniversary to the Vancouver 2010 Games is fast approaching.

Now that VANOC has basically closed up shop, can anybody confirm if the City of Vancouver is taking the lead with the a major public celebration to commemorate the Games?

I read a press release that the BC Government has allocated $3 million for communities across the province for "Spirit Festivals to provide free public cultural and artistic events to commemorate the first anniversary of the 2010 Olympic Games"

I would have suspected they would re-light the Cauldron in Jack Poole Plaza and make that the focus of celebrations, however in the press release above it mentions Robson Square as the site?

Can anybody confirm if this is still the plan?

The following 1 year anniversary events/initatives I've found so far:

John Furlong Book: Patriot Hearts: Inside the Olympics That Changed a Country

Richmond Winterfest at the Olympic Oval

Whistler2010-Live

CTV: Memories Etched in our Minds

Louroz

• 3 weeks later...

There are both Team 2010 and Torchbearer communities on FB. Team 2010 is encouraging folks to gather at the cauldron at noon--I plan on going after dark so I can see it lit! My team (uniform distribution) is gonna do a rendez-vous and then grab a pint or 12 methinks.

Blue jacket or torch outfit? Blue jacket or torch outfit? I'm torn!

The full schedule of events hosted by the City of Vancouver and the Province of BC marking the 1 year celebrations has been released:

Share the Spirit - A Winter Games Anniversary

Highlights:

Robson Square (9 am – 11 pm)

(Robson Street will be closed between Howe and Seymour)

Free skating, music and entertainment all day. Activities will include interactive community arts, special guest appearances, including the Canuck’s Mascot Fin, and opportunities to meet Canadian 2010 Olympians.

Relive Centre Ice On Granville (12 noon – 9 pm)

(Granville Street will be closed between Smithe and Dunsmuir)

The Granville pedestrian corridor is back with street hockey, buskers and the LunarFest Procession.

Lighting of the Olympic Cauldron (4 pm)

Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games torchbearers, VANOC volunteers and staff are encouraged to gather with the public for the first anniversary of the official lighting of the Olympic Cauldron at Jack Poole Plaza.

LunarFest Procession (6 pm)

Come see ocean life and kids' imagination come alive at the Vancouver Art Gallery Plaza - World's First Lantern Aquarium. Make your own lanterns and join the LunarFest Procession down Granville Street.

Illuminate Yaletown (6 – 10: 30 pm)

Check out the second annual Illuminate Yaletown - a free, multi-night, entertainment filled street party, featuring spectacular light installations from local artists.

Louroz

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I was in Vancouver to see this. I saw on TSN that on Sunday, February 13, CTV is going to show 1 year annivesary and it will be shown at 6:00pm and I will be watching it.

I wish I was in Vancouver to see this. I saw on TSN that on Sunday, February 13, CTV is going to show 1 year annivesary and it will be shown at 6:00pm and I will be watching it.

I wish someone could record it and torrent the special, but I'm sure it will probably be available somewhere on the CTV website. I don't have cable so this is the only way I can watch it.

So I waddled down to Jack Poole Plaza this afternoon. I didn't go for the noon gathering (it was pissing down rain); instead I arrived just before 4PM for the cauldron lighting.

Surprisingly easy to rock up to the barriers and watch things unfold. Campbell said a few words, led us in O Canada, then handed off to Furlong. Furlong kept it short and sweet. Then Campbell led the countdown and they fired up the BBQ. Perfect.

For a bit they held the crowd back EXCEPT for blue jackets, which was awesome! I got my photo under the cauldron, walked around a bit, then went to the Bay. There's a table full of podium pieces for sale ($39.99 each; same as the price on Vanoc's Ebay sale) and still reams of Canadian and other OC gear on racks. I scored a nice 1/4 zip wool sweater for $35. OK 3 of 'em, since 2 buds and I are going to Iceland in mid-March. :lol:

Wandered around Granville Street. Might be better tonight, but it's not really the same as last year. But then again, how could it?

The clouds cleared and rain broke a bit after the cauldron was relit. Lots of people milling about wearing their 2010 gear and waving Canadian flags. Felt a bit like last year, but was missing that authentic feel. Was nice to get up close to the cauldron, though.

1 year annivesary and it will be shown at 6:00pm and I will be watching it.

I meant to say it will shown at 8:00pm Eastern Time.

Reliving the first anniversary of the Vancouver games will be special for me. I really enjoy all the excitement when Vancouver hosted last year. I'm looking foward for this moment when I watch them once again. The Opening Ceremony, and Closing Ceremony. I would like to see Sidney Crosby's golden goal. What a moment it has been.

^Cool pics.

Just finished watching the CTV special on TSN (except I missed the first half hour). Pretty good special. I enjoyed it. And how about that Clara Hughes? - training up for London. Will definitely be watching her next year. B)

For my fellow Canuckleheads: TSN2 will replay the men's gold medal hockey game on Sunday 27 February 4PM Vancouver time. Set your PVRs!

And does anyone find it somewhat cruel irony that as we remember the 1 year anniversary of the 2010 Winter Games, the mountains are full of snow and it even snowed in the city (briefly), and there's a chill in the air...Vancouver 2011 definitely feels like winter.