"FIFA more transparent than IOC"?

BLATTER: 'RESENTMENT' HARMED 2018 BID

president Sepp Blatter believes "resentment" of Britain's special privileges on football's world governing body may have harmed England's 2018 World Cup bid.

Last month England gained just two of the 22 FIFA votes as Russia triumphed in the contest to host the tournament.

Blatter, who also gave the clearest indication yet that the 2022 World Cup in Qatar will be played during the winter, pointed to the fact that some FIFA members resent Britain having their own FIFA vice-president and the home nations having separate status.

For historic reasons, the four home associations also represent half of the International FA Board (IFAB), the game's law-making body, with FIFA making up the half.

FIFA members such as Argentina's Julio Grondona and Trinidad's Jack Warner have made little secret of their opposition to such special status.

Blatter, speaking to reporters in Doha, Qatar, said: "I cannot judge why England was so badly disappointed. They did a good job, a good presentation.

"There must be inside FIFA some reticence to England, perhaps these four associations. Maybe some resentment because of the privileges.

"Great Britain has a great importance inside FIFA since 1946. They have four national associations inside FIFA and one vice-presidency. They are also 50% of IFAB.

"There are no more privileges you can give to someone.

"If you have all these privileges you must handle these in a very intelligent way."

Blatter also suggested that the BBC Panorama investigation into FIFA members, screened three days before the vote, may also have had an effect.

He added: "Maybe the last-minute press and television about matters that have already been dealt with could have played a part."

Blatter also responded to criticism of FIFA for a lack of transparency by saying the International Olympic Committee is dominated by royalty and handles its finances "like a housewife".

Blatter, himself an IOC member, said: "Our accounts are open to everyone. The IOC does it like a housewife. She receives some money and she spends some money.

"The IOC is a club. In the 115 members of the IOC, only 45 are directly linked to sport. If you need to know where in the world you still have princes, princesses and kings, then you go to the list of members of the IOC. You will find a lot of them."

sportlinglife.com

LOL. I wonder if Sepp's comments on IOC Royalty was made before or after Prince Ali was voted FIFA vice-president?

Jordan's Ali Elected FIFA Vice President, Unseating Blatter Critic Chung

Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein of Jordan was elected vice president of soccer’s governing body FIFA, unseating a critic of president Sepp Blatter.

Ali will replace Chung Mong-Joon on the FIFA Executive Committee, ending the South Korean’s 16-year stay on the 24- member decision making panel. Ali won the vote 25-20 to claim one of FIFA’s eight vice presidencies at the Asian Football Confederation’s Congress in Doha, Qatar.

“I’m running because I want to see Asia take its rightful place in the FIFA family,” Ali said in a campaign video ahead of the vote. “I’m running because it’s time for change to run as one continent united.”

The removal of Chung, 59, may be a boost for Blatter’s bid for a fourth presidential term later this year. Chung has said it’s time for the 74-year-old to make way for a new leader and has considered standing as a candidate in May’s elections.

“I can confirm that the 25 people who voted for Prince Ali today will vote for President Blatter at the FIFA Congress because Blatter deserves to continue as FIFA president,” Sheikh Ahmad Ali Fahad Al Sabah, head of Kuwait’s soccer federation and one of Ali’s backers, told reporters after the vote.

Another possible candidate for the presidency, Mohamed Bin Hammam, 61, was endorsed for a further four-year term as head of Asian soccer after running unopposed. He’s also said it’s time for a challenger to Blatter, who was the only candidate when he won his third term in 2007.

Growing Profile

The appointment of Ali, 35, and Bin Hammam’s re-election signal the Gulf’s growing profile in the sport. In December Qatar beat the likes of the U.S. and Australia to win the right to host the World Cup in 2022 despite the desert nation’s size -- it’s smaller than Connecticut -- and concerns about summer temperatures. Russia was elected to stage the 2018 event.

The World Cup votes were mired in controversy after FIFA suspended two executive committee officials following a corruption investigation after they were alleged to have offered to sell their votes to undercover reporters.

In his promotional video, Ali said he believes in “transparency, openness and integrity.” He didn’t give details of any reforms he’d like to see made to the 107-year-old organisation, which has built cash reserves of more than $1 billion and registered the same amount in profit, according to accounts published in March.

While the Gulf’s position has strengthened, east Asia’s influence on soccer has weakened. With Chung’s ousting, the region has lost all its presence on the executive committee after Japan’s Junji Ogura, 72, was forced to step down because he’d passed FIFA’s retirement age for members. His replacement is Vernon Manilal Fernando of Sri Lanka.

Enough Backing?

Billionaire Chung, a politician and a member of the family that controls Hyundai Motor Co., South Korea’s biggest carmaker, can still stand for the presidency. Yet, failing to secure the support of his region may be a signal he doesn’t have the backing necessary to mount a challenge.

Ali, son of the late King Hussein, joins siblings Prince Faisal and Princess Haya as a senior sports official. Prince Faisal is the head of the Jordanian Olympic Committee and Princess Haya leads the International Equestrian Federation. Both are members of the International Olympic Committee.

Bloomberg

“I can confirm that the 25 people who voted for Prince Ali today will vote for President Blatter at the FIFA Congress because Blatter deserves to continue as FIFA president,” Sheikh Ahmad Ali Fahad Al Sabah, head of Kuwait’s soccer federation and one of Ali’s backers, told reporters after the vote.

The "joke" is that Sheikh Ahmad Fahad Al Sabah, is FIFA as well as IOC member - he also serves as president of the Olympic Council of Asia...

And the IOC answers back ...

In a statement to The Associated Press, the IOC responded to Blatter's comments by saying its finances "are sound, professionally managed and transparent".

The IOC said it has followed international financial reporting standards since 1998 and provided detailed statements to members along with public reports every two years.

"It is worth noting that more than 90 per cent of the income received by the IOC is redistributed to the Organising Committees of the Olympic Games, the International Federations and the National Olympic Committees," the statement said.

Blatter's attack may have been motivated partly by the decision of the IOC to refer allegations of corruption against Issa Hayatou, who is a vice-president of FIFA and also a member of the IOC, to its Ethics Commission.

It followed allegations made by the BBC programme Panorama broadcast on the eve of the World Cup vote that the Cameroonian had accepted bribes during the 1980s.

FIFA announced that they did not plan to take any action over the allegations but the IOC have vowed to investigate them.

insidethegames

I am somewhat disturbed by the number of FIFA officials that are also IOC officials. And if Blatter was an employee and IOC the employer, Blatter would be fired for insubordination. I think the IOC should be more selective in their membership.

That housewife comment really, really pisses me off. If that clown was in front of me, I'd punch his lights out. Maybe in his world, housewives get their money doled out to them...but in much of the Real World, housewives are actively making the money, not to mention spending it more wisely than their other halves. If housewives ran the accounts of country governments and sports organizations, the financial situation of most (all) would be a lot better off than the current situation.

That housewife comment really, really pisses me off. If that clown was in front of me, I'd punch his lights out. Maybe in his world, housewives get their money doled out to them...but in much of the Real World, housewives are actively making the money, not to mention spending it more wisely than their other halves. If housewives ran the accounts of country governments and sports organizations, the financial situation of most (all) would be a lot better off than the current situation.

Oh yes!

After his gay comments on Qatar, I'd figured his attitudes had not shifted into the 21st century. But it looks like his attitudes on women haven't actually even made it to the 20th century yet.

Didn't he get blasted a few years ago too for suggesting women footballers should be wearing skimpier kit?

quotes from AP

The International Olympic Committee's president on Thursday said relations with Sepp Blatter are "excellent" after the FIFA president called him to apologize for making derogatory comments about the IOC last week.

Rogge also sought to put to rest the flap over Blatter's barbs against the IOC in a meeting with reporters last week in Qatar. Blatter claimed the IOC has "no transparency" in its financial accounts, said it handles its finances "like a housewife" and described the organization as a "club." Blatter has been an IOC member since 1999.

After IOC officials complained privately about the remarks, Blatter called Rogge on Wednesday to express regret, several people with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press.

"The incident is closed," Rogge said. "I do not want to expand further. It's in the past. I don't think about it and I'm very glad that the situation is very good.

"I can say relations with FIFA are excellent," he added. "We are working closely with FIFA and we are very confident that we'll continue to have a good relationship."

AP

Amazing remarks from both Rogge and Blatter.

Well, I'll take that back. Not at all amazing.

All of us who follow international sport know that the words "open" and "transparent" are not in the vocabulary/jargon of either organization.

This is just hot air, attention-seeking from both men.

Folks, this is just a continuance of the war that started with those two dinosaurs the wily old falangist and Havelange, and is part of the posturing that is going to get nastier if Septic Blather wants to push the Qatar 2022 WC into January. No doubt right now Blather is getting the idea he can do no wrong with his desire for football Lebensraum in both terms of money and sporting political influence, and there will come a time when the IOC and MaFIFA will go their own ways. Jacques is simply too decent and too capable to let the pig-headed meglomania degrade the IOC's capability to draw in sponsors and maintain its pre-eminence in the world of global sports administration.

Do not be surprised to see the general IOC membership that are not associated with the robber barons of MaFIFA start to question the value of football as part of the SOGs, if not in public certainly behind closed doors. Plus the likes of Lamine Diack, Julio Maglione, Pat McQuaid and other IF presidents looking to advance the stature of their sports at the SOGs at the expense of football.

Right now Blather is like another German speaking leader who lived in isolation from reality whilst making bizzare pronouncements from his bunker whilst planning adventures in Russia. Here's hoping someone can do a Von Stauffenburg on Herr Blather and return world football to dignity, honour and accountability.

• 3 weeks later...

so, it's perfectly ok for SB to get in bed with middle eastern royalty, but because european royals won't give him time of day they act with no accountability and are out of touch?

well, for sure someone is out of touch here.

Archived