AFC Asian Cup Qatar 2011

^^ Which matches Japan v Australia and Uzbekistan v ROK in the semi finals?

Might be a good time to be putting some coin down on Japan to take home some silverware...

I honestly believe that Japan, Australia and South Korea are the only three teams that can win it, and if I had to go away from the Socceroos I think the ROK have the best chance. Yes the team is not as experienced as past South Korean teams and their coach doesn't have the credentials as the likes of Gus Hiddink or Pim Verbeek (sound familiar). But with the K League probably being the best domestic comp in Asia, fielding the likes of Man U's Park Ji-Sung and Celtic's Cha Du-Ri, and a more physical approach to the game than the Blue Samurai(who are renowned for being great stylists but lacking the finishing touch, plus no EPL players) then I'd back them to be the second favourite.

Here's hoping that Qatar can spring a surprise, get through to meet the Socceroos in a semi then we rub their nose into the ground with a 4-0 thrashing :D

Here's hoping that Qatar can spring a surprise, get through to meet the Socceroos in a semi then we rub their nose into the ground with a 4-0 thrashing :D

You know, you shouldn't do that. I think my heart skipped a few beats when I read the first half of that sentence.

Apologies for still being enraged about the Qatari's purchase of the 2022 World Cup at a discount price and the fact that half their team come from the streets of Nairobi, Lagos (and dear I say it) Abuja.

You know, you shouldn't do that. I think my heart skipped a few beats when I read the first half of that sentence.

Apologies for still being enraged about the Qatari's purchase of the 2022 World Cup at a discount price and the fact that half their team come from the streets of Nairobi, Lagos (and dear I say it) Abuja.

Sorry to scare you like that Aronious...and I have no apologies to still being enraged over the way the 2022 WC was allocated.

By the way of you want to have a tension relieving giggle check out Septic Blather's twitter account. Amongst other things such as meeting up with the Tunisian president who just got his corrupt arse kicked out of Tunis there is not a single tweet about the 2018/2022 vote. Not even a 'congratulations Russia & Qatar'. Ok, I know his flunkeys would be doing the legwork but still...you'd think Der Fussball Fuehrer would have at least one little message for the successful hosts.

Australia has just crushed Uzbekistan 6-0 and the blue samurais beat South Korea on the penalties by 3-0.

Final: Australia vs Japan, this saturday. Compared to the 2007 edition (on which Iraq won), this was a very predictable tournament. A bit dissapointing if you ask me.

The best of luck for the aussies :)

Chaos was the order of the day at the Asia Cup final in Qatar as more than 10,000 fans with legitimate tickets were denied entry to the stadium.

Reporters on the ground indicated that the final had been oversold, reporting that officials were dismissive of the problem saying that fans should have arrived earlier to the game.

Australian freelance journalist and media consultant Rachel Morris was reporting from the stadium via her Twitter feed. She said that there were suggestions that much of the problem came from the Qatari organizers allowing access to fans without tickets.

“Rumors (of)1000s without tickets (getting) into stadium,” she wrote. “Some reports that ticketless people already sitting in seats when legit holders arrived.”

Morris stressed that the crowd outside the stadium remained peaceful. However riot police were deployed (the video above seems to confirm that report) to control the situation.

“Just saw ISF guys with batons. Crowd peaceful. Signs on ticket boxes red "sold out". Security guard told me ‘should have been here at 2 p.m.’,” she wrote

Saying that she was “completely embarrassed for her adopted home” Morris reported talking to fans that had travelled several thousand kilometres to watch the game only to be turned away.

The Asia Cup is the first major football even hosted by Qatar since the awarding of the World Cup to the country. Today’s events will not ease concerns many have over the appropriateness of awarding the World Cup to a country as inexperienced at major event hosting as Qatar.

Does anyone remember if these kind of problems were present at the Doha 2006 asiad?. I heard a lot of criticism about how they organized the final match and how 10.000 fans were denied entrance. They better solve those problems before 2022.

Qatar will host the Pan Arab Games this year and they've recently been awarded with the 2015 Handball World Cup

This world where this type of behavior and treatment becomes more normal makes me want to cry, the lack of rights and freedoms is startling, even though the region probably feels they are more liberal than ever.

The only solution is to avoid the region and events that are held there.

I just can't believe that guard was raising a pole as though he was going to swat the camera guys, it was like you might treat cattle.

Disgusting.

Archived