Sign in to follow this  
Scotguy

London 2012 Torch relay

Bear Grylls on a zip wire off of Tyne Bridge -

AvcxbcWCAAE41X3.jpg

Avc5DlVCEAENofk.jpg

It stayed alight!

Wow look at the crowds along the Tyne. Bet they had a great view from pitcher and piano ;) I'm so looking forward to when the torch arrives in my home city of York this Tuesday. 18,000+ tickets dished out so far for the evening event at the racecourse.!

Half an hour ago the daughter of the late PC David Rathband, Mia, carried the torch. Her father was shot and blinded by gunman Raoul Moat during his rampage in 2010. He was meant to be carrying the torch today but he died earlier this year. As you can see, she decided to do it blindfolded in honour of her Father....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18457471

Avf8C3MCMAAe9GJ.jpg

Edited by RobH

The Torch Relay arrives in York

5c407c6c.jpg

Further pictures from York...

bc1155a5.jpg

67244f43.jpg

23fa1fd1.jpg

Well, I have been lucky and have managed to see the torch two days in a row!

Thursday - My friend and I took her sons (my godsons) up to Lake Windermere to see not only the torch relay evening celebrations but also the start of London 2012 Festival with a performance from a French percussion/fireworks group called Les commando percu. Two shows in one so I was so excited! There were swans that were really brave and scared me a little because they just ung around in really big crowds like it was a normal thing! The weather stayed okayish for the torch relay celebrations but got really bad for the festival event so I got soaked and we were all a little miserable afterwards but glad we had seen it! The torch arrrived by boat across the lake and one of the torchbearers (a young lad) stayed behind for about 2 hours in the puring rain so all the kids to get their photos taken with him and his torch! all Some images below:

135mnq.jpg

137hw.jpg

138eg.jpg

140ak.jpg

141eh.jpg

145rsl.jpg

151dn.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

On Friday, the torch came through my hometown. The weather was truly horrible. I was helping my friend who is a teacher of the babies (4-5 yar olds) at a local school and thy were so excited. We had to be there too early though so were standing in really bad weather for about an hour and a half at least! We did give the kids and parents an option to take them home if they felt it was too awful for them, but all the kids were determined to stay! They were all shivering bless them, and I wasn't too much better to be honest! :( It is a shame the weather was bad but it just didn't give us a chance to show everyone watching our lovely city that we are so proud of :( Still I was proud that despite how truly awful the weather was, thousands turned out throughout the route! Way to go Lancashire!

154ls.jpg

157xz.jpg

159xt.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So I am glad I got to see the torch twice. Bring on the Oympics now! :D Still trying to get dry and wam though lol

Just back from the torch relay in Huddersfield. Looks like the sunny and dry weather is back in Yorkshire. An estimated 45,000 lines the streets of the Town for the relay. Also my place of work was the base for the torchbearers to meet. Look what I got my hands on!!!!

d800401d.jpg

• Like 2

Wow just come back from an amazing evening in Sheffield city centre the atmosphere was electric and I've never seen it so busy in my life. Sheffielders gave L

Wow just come back from an amazing evening in Sheffield city centre the atmosphere was electric and I've never seen it so busy in my life.

The police have just announced that over the 5 days the relay has been with us in Yorkshire it has been seen by more than a million people!!! London it's heading your way enjoy the ride!

Lord Coe in Sheffield tonight

b0fa52a9.jpg

Olympic figure skating legends Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean carried the 2012 torch through Nottingham and lit the cauldron on the 41st relay day.
They skated at the city's rink, where they said their "Olympic dreams started", before becoming the final torchbearers of the day.
The torch travelled 100 miles from Lincoln to Nottingham on Thursday.

Better video here but may be UK only: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18616439

Olympic torch: Ethiopian boy goes missing in Nottingham

An Ethiopian teenager who was part of the Olympic torch relay has gone missing from a hotel in Nottingham.

Natnael Yemane, 15, was a torchbearer as part of an official international programme team as the relay entered the city on Thursday.

Police said he left the Jurys Inn, Waterfront Plaza, at about 21:15 BST and did not return.

Officers added they were concerned for his well being as his English is limited and he is not "street-wise".

The teenager is described as black, 5ft 8ins (1.73m) tall, and of thin build.

He has cropped Afro hair and was last seen wearing faded dark jeans, a green and yellow camouflage hooded jacket and black trainers with a white stripe.

He was one of 20 young people selected through Locog's International Inspiration programme who ran in two teams on Thursday.

One torchbearer was selected from each of the 20 countries which are part of the programme, from Azerbaijan to Zambia.

International Inspiration is London 2012's international legacy programme which provides sport and play opportunities to more than 12 million children in 20 countries around the world.

A London 2012 spokesperson said: "A young boy of 15 has gone missing and clearly this is of great concern to us. Everyone is doing all they can to find him and make sure he's safe."

She added: "Each one of the 20 young people was accompanied by their own chaperone and every possible step was taken to ensure their whereabouts were known at all times whilst they were in the country."

BBC

Missing Ethiopian found in Nottingham

_61254887_61254884.jpg Natnael Yemane was missing for about 24 hours

An Ethiopian boy who was part of the Olympic torch relay has been found after going missing from his hotel in Nottingham.

Natnael Yemane, 15, was a torchbearer as the relay entered the city on Thursday.

Police said he left the Jurys Inn, Waterfront Plaza, at about 21:15 BST that evening and did not return.

Officers confirmed he was found "safe and well" in the city on Friday evening.

BBC

Olympic figure skating legends Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean carried the 2012 torch through Nottingham and lit the cauldron on the 41st relay day.

They skated at the city's rink, where they said their "Olympic dreams started", before becoming the final torchbearers of the day.

The torch travelled 100 miles from Lincoln to Nottingham on Thursday.

Better video here but may be UK only: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18616439

Now, THAT was nice!! And altho NOT the first time the O flame was carried by figures skating medallists (see Salt Lake 2002 in the stadium), it was the first time the (summer) flame was danced to by ice figure skaters, even just for a few minutes!! Don't give the Russians ideas. They will probably now have 2.014 figure skaters caressing the flame!!

Olympic figure skating legends Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean carried the 2012 torch through Nottingham and lit the cauldron on the 41st relay day. They skated at the city's rink, where they said their "Olympic dreams started", before becoming the final torchbearers of the day. The torch travelled 100 miles from Lincoln to Nottingham on Thursday. Better video here but may be UK only: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18616439

Even 28 years later, they still know how to amaze their audience! Great performance. And by the way, the BBC video works also for me.

Sebastian Coe carries the torch

AwQnM5vCIAEsjCy.jpg

Coe: One of the best days of my life.

In Sheffield 12 spanish people carried the torch,selected for a Samsung contest,for their inspirational stories,a pride for them.

Its Stamfords moment to shine, we are decked out in our Olympic finery. Expect a lot of pictures later : )

Stamford......take the stage and line the streets, the world is watching

• Like 1

Its Stamfords moment to shine, we are decked out in our Olympic finery. Expect a lot of pictures later : )

Stamford......take the stage and line the streets, the world is watching

Enjoy the day Davey! Hope weather's good there today!

Edited by kevzz

Had an amazing day. Stamford did the torch proud, really proud. Then popped on a train for the evening event in Peterborough and they put on one hell of a show. There was an amazing performance of weird creatures and people on stiilts. Will post pics tommorrow.

The torch got an amazing reception, got me picture with the torch....again LOL. Then the icing on the cake, Seb Coe appeared to thank everyone. Gotta admit I was very emotional and welled up numerous times.

You cant beat this feeling you really cant

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this