London 2012 Torch relay

Scotguy

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's wonderful to see so many people on the streets supporting the torch relay.

However, I've been watching the relay off and on over the last couple of days and have been astonished at the stupidity of some members of the public. Some are clearly aware that the relay is being broadcast live on the web, and have jumped out into the path of the runners just for the attention. The Police guarding the torch really have their work cut out for them.

I'm keeping everything crossed that it all goes off without too many problems, but I can't help but feel uneasy.There are too many idiots out there just waiting for an opportunity to ruin such a great event. Not to mention the amount of protest groups and organisations that would gladly love to throw a spanner in the works. :unsure:

But it's nothing that hasn't been seen before in other Olympic host nations I'm sure.

I've just seen the torch running through Bristol. I was astonished how many people lined the streets...there were literally thousands lining the streets all the way through the Eastern suburbs between Bath and the city centre. I thought it would just be me and a few other sad tw@ts but everyone was really up for it. The weather was fantasic as well. It was amazing to see the torch, the whole operation around the relay is really something to see and the security was not oppresive either.

Your 'comic' timing seems to be way off...unusual for you I must say :rolleyes:;)

Lunchtime today....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUDyGm6QuC0

FAMILY, friends and the surgeon who saved his life were cheering determined Ben Fox on as he carried the torch through Royal Wootton Bassett High Street.

The 16-year-old, of Westlea, was born with a catalogue of defects in his vital organs and no right leg due to an extremely rare condition called Vater Syndrome.

He carried the torch in one hand and a crutch in the other and stopped several times to swap hands as he made the 300 metre journey from the War Memorial to Lime Kiln.

After finishing his journey, he said: “It was incredible. It was an amazing experience.”

I DON'T mean the torchbearers. I meant the Security people.

Y r only the disabled carrying the torch? The Security should have an equal # of physically-challenged staffers so that the disabled runners can feel comfortable. After all, if they are going to merge the Olympix & the Paras, this would be a start!

A whole phalanx of wheelchair-bound security would certainly block off all attackers.

That's what I was driving at.

Never mind...

I haven't been on in a while. Can I just ask if Shrek is Baron, i.e. Myles? It fits if it is lol. :)

Back on topic, I have been mesmerised with the torch cam (even in convoy mode - can't explain why). It's al strangely hypnotic! I've seen some people unhappy with how long the handover takes, but I actually prefer it this way. It makes so much more of each moment for both torchbearers and the public get more time to get behind each handover. Even though it must be annoying a little for organisers, the delay because of the volumes of crowd and how close peope are getting to it and all the 'moments' etc, is a delight. It's so personal to the torchbearer and the crowd and I do believe that how they are running it has been designed to bring about these moments. I am now so obsessed with 'torchcam' athough I am annoyed at the bbc for using the 3g network and not anticipating breakdowns :( I am starting to believe now, howver, that it is all a ploy for publicity and more people tuning back, e.g. people wanting to watch a smal clip of Drogba or will.i.am carrying the torch :(

Can't wait for it to come to my town - it is coming really close to my house so I am taking the day off. Just hope that the weather holds out and the crowds are good. I plan to be around a point where the torch is handed over so that the moment can be prolonged :wub:

Has anyone seen any of the youtube videos of the evening celebrations or even the personal flame moments in any of the towns. Sometimes, you get a really good impression of the advance sponsors convoy as well which really adds to the whole atmosphere but aso really explains how the whole thing works. It's astounding really and I guess it's the same in every country, like for Vancouver for example, but I have never really appreciated what goes into this event, not fully anyway! :blink:

Hey Beth's back!

LOL thanks x. How could I not as an olympic fan though ignore this site. I might not have posted for a long time, but I hae checked in to see what is going on for quite a while :) Mostly at lunch at work where I can't post unfortunately.

There was a really good piece on the BBC site today all about the cam and why they chose the solution. They were saying that because of the larger than expected crowds it meant the signal was cutting out more, as more folks meant less signal

There was a really good piece on the BBC site today all about the cam and why they chose the solution. They were saying that because of the larger than expected crowds it meant the signal was cutting out more, as more folks meant less signal

I am loving the torch relay, but am angry at the bbc for not doing more to counter the problems. Yes I am appreciative of what they have done to bring this on a daily basis to the people etc. However, I believe more shoud have been done to counter and PREPARE for when there are peak traffic times if there are a lot of crowds etc. What really annoys me is the - it's not our fault, it's the crowd usurping the network. So what is plan B bbc? Surely the resultsthat they wanted are now coming to fruition?

Apologies! :unsure: I think I read the same piece you referred to today and I kind of understand what you mean now. I understand that they thought it through and thought losing pictures from time to time was better than no live pictures at all and just putting up highights at the end of each day. This was is definitely better or we wouldn't have so many people interested. :)

Cannot wait till the torch arrives in Cardiff tomorrow, hope we will show as much enthusiasm as Cornwall and the west. Plus I have tickets to the torch relay concert arranged by Coca cola which should be good :D

Cannot wait till the torch arrives in Cardiff tomorrow, hope we will show as much enthusiasm as Cornwall and the west. Plus I have tickets to the torch relay concert arranged by Coca cola which should be good :D

Oh I hope you have a fabulous time! :) I'm sure Wales will continue to do the whole of the UK proud! Am looking forward to seeing the Welsh countryside now lol. I love the actual relay with the torchbearers etc, but the trips in the countryside with the flame are good too! It's a great chance to really show off everywhere in the UK and what each area has to offer isn't it?

Its a massive commitment and its amazing we are seeing so much. What I do think is missing is some sort of mini update programme on primetime, just 5 mins in the evening so everyone can keep up with the action.

I also read today on the bbc that they are going to add more stuff to the live relay coverage as we go along. Wonder what it will be? I also notice how many people were asking for the live relay to come back on the red button lol. Don't think the bbc anticpated that to be honest

I'm watching the torch passing the Welsh village of Raglan right now -- and I'm amazed how many Union Jacks one can see among the spectators, hardly any Welsh flag. Could it be that the torch relay and the Olympics create a "UK patriotism" right now?

Archived