Sign in to follow this  
Scotguy

London 2012 Torch relay

I am guesing that the next landmark will be the unveiling of the design of the torch and the torch relay information.

When will this be revealed?

What do you guys think the torch will look like?

I am guesing that the next landmark will be the unveiling of the design of the torch and the torch relay information.

When will this be revealed?

What do you guys think the torch will look like?

Uncertain as to its design but am sure the route will be first off from Olympia via Athens to (perhaps via Corfu and Gibraltar...both islands in the Med with significant British connections) the UK and then there'll be the obligatory circumnavigation of the home islands (with perhaps a question mark over Northern Island). The usual suspects will plonk up as major stopping points...Stonehenge, White Cliffs of Dover, Lands End, John o'Groats etc etc.

Could be good (so long as LOCOG avoid a Beijing-like world tour and keep the mascots in the background).

Could be good (so long as LOCOG avoid a Beijing-like world tour and keep the mascots in the background).

Whatever LOCOG wanna do, the IOC has long since kibbotched any international relay. Personally, I wouldn't have minded a land relay through Europe from Olympia to the UK, but even that seems doubtful. The possibility is that it will just be Athens direct to Blighty.

GamesBids - International Torch Relay scrapped

Ummm o.o...thanks, but no thanks :blink: . Everything but orbit tower references.

Yea it certainly would have been cool to have an over-land route through Europe and than around the UK. I doubt it will be as gradious as Vancouver or Beijing's internal relays

Northern Ireland certainly won't be a question-mark. It will go there, but I am sure there will be no trip to Gibraltar, don't want to upset the Spanish.

A global tour is pretty much out. And I'm happy with that! It isn't necessary. Let the host country enjoy the moment.

Likely directly from Greece to the UK...but where to start? Much Wenlock? The White Cliffs of Dover? Land's End? John o' Groats? Belfast? The Shetland Islands? Ben Nevis?

I expect it will tour all four home countries. That's a no brainer. Passing by and through many of the UK's historical and cultural sites - from Stonehenge to the London Eye, from Swansea to Sherwood Forest, from Loch Ness to the Isle of Man, from Belfast to Hastings and everywhere in between.

But please! No Orbital Torch. Bad enough there is a tower.

It's already been announced as a 70 day UK only tour. The route will be revealed early this year I think.

I quite like the concept of an Orbital design for the torch, but not the one in the link. I suppose that type of design would compliment and promote the tower so hopefully more people would begin to like it. A neon torch would be different, it includes the 'look' of the games and the tower (in a way) and it could change colour :D :D

As I said in the relevent thread, the Tower is entirely of Boris' doing and has no relation to the London 2012 branding, the venue design or anything else. It was foistered on the ODA who, as I understand it, didn't much like having to free up time for Boris' project when they were already working on the biggest construction project in Europe.

The Tower, success or failure, will be a one off. I honestly see no reason why it will influence things like the torch design, so there's no point even speculating about an Orbit shaped torch; it won't happen.

well, here's my question: will the HOC hold the flame hostage in exchange for the return of the Elgin marbles? That would make a very exciting chapter in Olympic history!! :)

A torch proposal I stumbled upon.

32921yxbxifa8bnzenaiuef.jpg

Too clunky and angular.

I like it. It fits the lines and angles of the rest of the brand. Strange would it be if the torch is all curvy and fluid with the sharp edged logo and the rest of the look.

It wasn't Baron's design, but that of some other guy. And cormiermax found the picture of that design.

I agree that the torch looks far too clunky -- similar to the Rio 2007 Pan American Games torch:

4032514968_642c081d26.jpg

But I also think that the look of the London Games demands a rather edgy (or at least not curvy but rather straight) torch.

Barcelona proved that this is possible:

29900248_1992S_torch_b.gif

And Sydney's torch also had some edgy parts (the Sydney Opera roof shape at the top!):

Img214038730.jpg

That said, I hope that they do a less controversial job for the design of the London torch than for the logo.

That said, I hope that they do a less controversial job for the design of the London torch than for the logo.

How controversial can you get?

It looks like a dildo? :blink:

It's giving everyone with epilepsy seizures? :unsure:

It wasn't Baron's design, but that of some other guy. And cormiermax found the picture of that design.

I agree that the torch looks far too clunky -- similar to the Rio 2007 Pan American Games torch:

4032514968_642c081d26.jpg

Good point. Rio 2007 torch was HEAVY (some 3,5kg) and a nightmare to hold because the weight was very unbalanced.

Good point. Rio 2007 torch was HEAVY (some 3,5kg) and a nightmare to hold because the weight was very unbalanced.

it certainly looks top-heavy.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Any design posted to the internet is certainly not going to be selected by LOCOG. But I guess fun to dream, right?

Maybe some hi-tech burning glove so the flame would actually pass hand in hand.

Sign in to follow this