London 2012 Torch relay

Scotguy

Louth mayor defends Olympic torch relay sausage costume

A Lincolnshire town's mayor has rejected calls for her to resign after she wore a sausage costume for the Olympic torch's visit.

Jill Makinson-Sanders wore the outfit in Louth last week to show her support for the Lincolnshire sausage.

But some residents accused her of turning the town into a laughing stock after photos were widely circulated on the internet.

Ms Makinson-Sanders said she only had the town's best interests at heart.

She explained the costume was intended to help promote the campaign to win protected food status for the Lincolnshire sausage.

'Laughing at her'

But photos from the day were quickly shared across the internet.

Resident Kate Levy, one of several residents to have accused Ms Makinson-Sanders of embarrassing the town, said: "Whilst we do want publicity for Louth, we don't want ignominy and notoriety which is what we've got.

"People are laughing at her and not with her."

But traders and other residents have backed Ms Makinson-Sanders who said she had no intention of resigning.

She said: "We just wanted publicity for Louth being a good food town.

"I've only ever got Louth's best interests at heart so I wouldn't have done anything to damage the town because I don't think like that.

"I'm quite a serious person under all of this."

makinson-sanders-and-her-costume.jpg?w=614&h=383

3929570.png

_61194604_61194603.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-18699736

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Louth mayor defends Olympic torch relay sausage costume

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nshire-18699736

Good idea to exploit the Olympic torch relay for a campaign for a sausage, in a penis-shaped costume. :rolleyes:

Seriously, where has that woman left her instinct she actually needs as a politician?

Sir Steve Redgrave carries the Flame on the Thames on Day 53

I saw that Both Steve Redgrave and Roger Bannister recently carried the torch. Does that have bearing on the possibility of their carrying the torch in the opening ceremony? What's the tradition on this?

The person carrying is Michael Johnson. Strange, i thought for such a landmark they would have chosen a British star

i know - but i love michael johnson - a huge hero of mine & a great olympian. also he is the face of bbc athletics (so an honorary brit - lol)! wonderful pics - love stonehenge!

Someone asked if Tom Daley had carried the torch in his hometown - well, it's in his hometown today (I had assumed it had gone through Portsmouth in the early stages of the relay, but obviously not), but no word yet on if he is involved. Can't see him not being involved somehow though.

Olympic flame to drop into Tower

The Olympic flame will arrive in the capital by helicopter on Friday and be abseiled into the Tower of London.

It will spend the night there locked in the vault with the Olympic medals before the 200-mile London section of the relay starts from Greenwich.

The 982 London torchbearers include Olympian Daley Thompson and the mother of Stephen Lawrence, Doreen.

The relay will go through every London borough before the cauldron is lit in the opening ceremony on 27 July.

On Friday 27 July, the torch will begin its last day by visiting the maze at Hampton Court Palace before setting sail down the River Thames on the royal barge Gloriana.

At lunchtime it will be taken into City Hall, before being transported to the Olympic Stadium at Stratford to light the cauldron at the opening ceremony.

Saturday, 21 July - The torch will be carried by solo-round-the-world yachtsman Sir Robin Knox-Johnson around the newly-restored Cutty Sark. Tessa Sanderson-White will carry the flame in Newham, where she works to encourage young people in sport.

Sunday, 22 July - The flame will ride the London Eye, held by the youngest person to ski to the South Pole, Amelia Hempleman-Adams, daughter of the explorer David. It will cross the River Thames on a London Fire Brigade boat among a flotilla and be carried into the evening celebration in Bexley by boxer Lennox Lewis.

Monday, 23 July - Monday sees Doreen Lawrence carry the torch outside the Deptford centre set up in her son's memory. The flame visits Eastenders, carried by Billy Mitchell in a live edition of the programme. Tim Henman lights the cauldron on Tooting Bec Common.

Tuesday, 24 July - James Cracknell is the day's first torchbearer in Kingston, the flame visits Kew Gardens and the evening celebration takes place in Ealing's Walpole Park.

Wednesday, 25 July - Olympic badminton silver medallist Nathan Robertson carries the flame outside the sport's London 2012 venue, Wembley Arena. England '66 World Cup winning goalkeeper Gordon Banks takes the Wembley Stadium leg. Harry Potter actor Rupert Grint takes the torch at Middlesex University and the last torchbearer of the day is Daley Thompson.

Thursday, 26 July - The day starts at Camden's Roundhouse venue, the torch travels under the rings at St Pancras as the torch tours central areas like Islington, the City, Kensington and Chelsea, Hammersmith and Fulham. Sport Relief fundraiser and comedian David Walliams carries the torch, and the flame goes to the site of the London 1908 Olympic stadium at White City. Landmarks on this day include St Paul's Cathedral, the Millennium Bridge, Shakespeare's Globe theatre, Chelsea FC's Stamford Bridge ground, Trafalgar Square, Downing Street, Buckingham Palace and a party in Hyde Park.

Friday, 27 July - The torch sets off on its final day from Hampton Court Palace. The flame will travel in a cauldron on board Gloriana and be carried at different points along the river by seven torchbearers. The rowing squad of the royal barge is made up of former Olympic crews and future hopefuls from London Youth Rowing.

BBC

Archived