What are your upcoming 2011 sporting or Olympic highlights

Okay, what's going to be turning soft to hard or dry to moist for you in 2011 when it comes to sport? We've got several big items on the new year's calendar including a Rugby world cup, a cricket one day world cup, two games announcements (2018 OWG and CG), the world swimming championships, 2011 Womens Football WC in Germany and your usual plethora of domestic big games.

From my point of view the first big one will be the AFC Cup in Qatar (where hopefully the Socceroos will win through to a final with the Qataris and destroy them 7 blot :D ). Then there are the wins (hopefully) for Munich and the Gold Coast for their respective bids, the Matildas doing well in Deutschland for 2011 women's world cup. NZ 2011 should be a great RWC and won't it be nice to see the Kiwis choke once more (c'mon the Wallabies and Scotland). Finally looking forward to the Saints winning the NRL and the Hawks the AFL.

Rugby World Cup for me. Then not much else - an off year for the "big events" (I can't get any anticipation from a cricket WC, an AFC Cup or a Womens soccer fixture). Just hope Benji Marshall can lift the Tiges a step further this year.

As to the bids - I haven't given up hope for Munich, but my thoughts on their chances are getting more pessimistic by the day. As long as PC doesn't stumble, hard to see them not winning. As for the CWGs - that's just going through the motions - it's not a contest at all.

Pan Am Games and the Copa America are the events i'm more eager to see this 2011. Also although i dont follow them much i wanna see how the Shenzhen Universiade goes out.

The first important event of the year will be the AFC Cup next week

Pan Am Games and the Copa America are the events i'm more eager to see this 2011. Also although i dont follow them much i wanna see how the Shenzhen Universiade goes out.

The first important event of the year will be the AFC Cup next week

The AFC Cup certainly has snuck up on us. Seems like only yesterday was getting hyper over watching the Socceroos getting ready for the 2010 WC. One thing is for sure is they don't reach the final four there will be some serious rumblings at FFA HQ.

Rugby World Cup for me. Then not much else - an off year for the "big events" (I can't get any anticipation from a cricket WC, an AFC Cup or a Womens soccer fixture). Just hope Benji Marshall can lift the Tiges a step further this year.

Ah yes Rols, would be quite satisfying to see the Tigers go one step higher...losing to Saints in a grand final rather than a major semi :P .

Sorry old son, couldn't resist. And that semi was probably the best match of 2010.

Cricket World Cup for me. I think, for the first time since 1992 (when we should have won it), we will go into the tournament with a genuine chance of winning it.

Maybe the Poms have a chance (frankly if Australia get to the semis that'll be fine), however first off they actually have to get the grounds ready in time (and so many are still to be completed in India and Sri Lanka) plus to be honest one day cricket really has the stench of death written over it. It's ascendancy died the minute the BCCI backed the IPL and frankly has all the contrivance and dullness as an Oprah Winfrey TV show.

Having said all that it sounds like the Bangladeshis are excited:

Thousands throng bank outlets for WC cricket tickets

Yasir Wardad

Thousands of cricket fans thronged banks since Saturday morning in the capital long before the selling of tickets started for the World Cup-2011 Sunday.

Fans including hundreds of boys, girls and old men were found outside the branches of City Bank Ltd. and Agrani Bank, as queues continued to stretch covering more than two to three kilometres in some busy commercial areas only for collecting a ticket which would give them opportunities to enter the Sher-e-Bangla Stadium on February 19.

The FE correspondent found long queues at every outlet of the banks in the capital.

There was a long queue outside Agrani Bank Ltd. at Motijheel which crossed past the Mohammedan Club.

City Bank Ltd. at 27, Dhanmondi branch had two queues of ticket seekers, one passed through Shankar, Dhanmondi and another crossed Asad Gate.

Tuheen Ray, a student of Charukala Academy of Dhaka University (DU) told the FE at 2.30 pm on Sunday outside the City Bank at 27 Dhanmondi that he and his ten friends were standing there from Saturday evening by rotation.

"If I don't get tickets today, surely will get it tomorrow," Tuheen said who was in queue half a kilometre away from the outlet.

His friend Ratul, a student of Sociology of DU, said it would be good if the BCB arranged a pre-ticket lottery and in that case we did not need to waste our time.

Ashraful Islam (68), a retired official of Bangladesh Water Development Board, who was standing outside the Agrani Bank at Motijheel Branch at 4 pm on Sunday, told the FE that he and his family suspended their Cox's Bazar tour only for collecting world cup tickets.

"We are standing here since yesterday, two of my grand children are helping me," Ashraful said.

He said seemingly, "It would be better for me to go to Cox's Bazar than standing in long queue as I am an old man". He also suggested a lottery for the tickets.

Bangladesh Cricket Board and City Bank Ltd., told the media that the outlets could sell only 480 tickets a day.

They requested the people to have patience.

The local organising committee (LOC) of Bangladesh had informed the reporters that 15127 out of 23267 tickets for the matches will be sold through the banks' outlets.

According to an agreement signed between the World Cup 2011 host countries and ICC, the ICC will get 1270 tickets.

The number of complimentary and special tickets are 7441.

Roland, this is the pre-Olympic year, there is absolutely nothing boring or dull about this most important of years.

In saying that, I am think I am more excited about the various steps towards qualification that take place this year. I am really hoping Canada can progress a bit further in team sports over the year and build on the 2 team qualifcations from Beijing (there was 4 but baseball and softball no longer count).

So the Pan Am games will be very important for Canada in water polo and field hockey (hopefully the Americans take a spot at the WC for men so it frees up Canada on the men's side) and our quadrennial clash with Argentina for field hockey bragging rights will be in Guadalajara.

The FIFA Women's World Cup is the main focus for me this year, along with the IAAF World Championships and The Pan American Games. Other events I will have an eye on will be the CONCACAF Gold Cup, Copa America, the FIFA U20 World Cup, and the final push to qualify for Euro 2012. I might add the Asian Cup to that list but here it is a few days away and I can't seem to find out how much the PPV package for the tournament is going to cost.

:) Cricket World Cup...Now wide open...Any of the top six will take it. India will go in favorites but England could walk out at the end World Champs!..Who'dve thought!

Rugby World Cup, because we're hosting it, WILL win it, and the ads and buildup have started already, and...of course arwebb isn't comming because he voted for Japan - oh and so did Rols!... <_< what?..did ya think I'd forget after six years? ;)

Archived