Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LuigiVercotti

The Greater Evil: Juan or Sepp

Baron raised the issue in another thread that JAS (also known as the late and not much lamented wily old Falangist) was for him more scheming etc than MaFIFA head Sepp Blather. Care to compare and contrast these two sports Czars who some would say share the ethics of Bernie Madoff crossed with Faust?

The simple fact that this website exists is a proof of the overall positive legacy of the Samaranch years.

Sure Samaranch's presidency was not without problems but, at least, when corruption in the IOC was publicly exposed, he had the guts to have some members expelled and launched the IOC 2000 reforms that lead to the new bidding process (certainly perfect but much better, fair and transparent than FIFA). WADA was also launched under his presidency.

Blatter has not so far addressed any of the problems of FIFA.

without it is Septic Blather of MaFifa - a total see you next tuesday - who is making a mockery of the beautiful game (and not because England lost the 2016 tournament but Qatar - i mean please!!)!!!

samaranch at least saved the olympic movement and did something about the corruption in the olympic movement!

The Wily Old Falangist was never what you would call a reformer through choice, and before anyone gets too excited about how much was done in the wake of the Salt Lake City corruption scandal lets not forget that the initial stench of rorting, rip-offs, political intervention and vote buying all happened under his watch.

Of course where Samaranch really takes the cake as morally reprehensible is his conscious links with the Franco regime. Whereas Blather is a walking, talking ad for the unreconstructed sexist opportunist looking to line his and his organisation's pockets with as much money as possible whilst mouthing platitudes the WOF was a true Falangist, moving upwards in a society and polity that was built on totalitarian principles:

samaranch-franco-handshake.jpg

Blather's crude incompetence, the dictatorial manner in which he bumbling manages international football and the way in which he continue to inspire loathing among so many members of the world football community is bad. But he was never an active servant of a murderous dictator.

Samaranch came across as more authoritarian but also more subtle and diplomatic.By contrast, Blatter comes across as more clownish and tactless.You always got the impression that JAS was the man in charge and woe betide anyone who forgot it whilst its difficult to decide just how much Sepp is actually running things and how much his strings are being pulled by more powerful figures.

Both of them come across as devious bas****s who'd shoot you in the back as much as look at you but JAS did it with more style.Plus the IOC made great strides under Samaranch's long reign whereas FIFA seems to have stood mostly still during Blatter's tenure.

So I'm tipping the balance towards Blatter not necessarily because he's more 'evil' than Samaranch but because his actions or inactions seem to be causing more damage to FIFA's standing and reputation.

I think it's a difficult question but I also tend to call Blatter the greater evil. I can't remember that Samaranch ever evoked so much hate and embarrassment in me as Blatter did in recent years.

Of course Samaranch was a tool of the Franco regime and was an authoritarian ruler of the Olympic Movement. But you also can't deny that the Olympic Movement got out of his presidency much, much healthier than it was at the start of his presidency. And in his last years, I would have found it difficult to feel any resentment against Samaranch anyway: He was old, he was frail, he tragically lost his wife shortly after the opening of the Sydney Games and he even showed a likeable, funny side of his (when at Sydney's closing ceremony, he said "with my Spanish accent, Ozzy, Ozzy, Ozzy!" -- that was hilarious).

Blatter on the other hand is currently ruining FIFA's reputation, he is a fat, embarrassing, blabbing, chauvinistic idiot (Samaranch at least had the physique of someone involved with sports and mostly pondered his words very carefully) and he simply is the epitome of moral and financial corruption, even without having been involved with a dictatorship.

I only commend Blatter on calling the 2006 World Cup in Germany the best ever, but that's all. ;)

Know what you mean...sitting in Stadium Australia watching the WOF refer to Sydney as the best ever Olympics almost took the sting out of his 20 years (then) of corruption...well, not really :lol:

And anyway it's not as if you need to be as pure as Snow White's bum to state the bloody obvious when it comes to quality sporting events.

Samaranch is worst even tho he said g'day in Sydney and said they were the best games ever.

The Olympic movement is in far better condition today thanks to Samaranch. Yes there were serious issues raised during his tenure, but when you are dealing with people who think they walk on water, that is to be expected. Frankly JAS and cohorts are no worse than the people who run many a corporation. I've read a few articles on JAS, I remember one saying he couldn't even bring himself to terminate even the most incompetent employee. Another, by Alan Abrahamson stated that he would constantly check on the condition of Mr. Abrahamson's mother-in-law, who was battling cancer. I do believe the man had a great concern for humanity.

Blatter is a nitwit. He was funny when he did the draws as secretary-general, but should have never risen above that position.

I think this comparison is better suited for Samaranch and Havelange. Blatter is just the guy who was promoted by his old boss, but he is still watched closely by the old man's son-in-law Texeira.

Blatter has presided over some important changes in FIFA, but he did not put the motor running. It has been running since 1974. Blatter is more suited to be compared to Rogge.