Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Olympian2004

Munich's bid in serious danger?

I'm surprised that CAF saw news coverage here in Germany about the Rio 2016 logo launch. I didn't notice anything (I didn't scrawl the web for it either, I have to admit).

Anyway:

Having said all that it would be interesting to see if PyeongChang could muster similar numbers for an alpine sports event held outside an Olympic competition. Aside from their perennial interest in short track speed skating how much popular local support is there for the winter sports? Somehow I suspect not that much...

Absolutely true. The 2009 Biathlon World Championships in Pyeongchang drew a lot of criticism by athletes and in the media for their lack of an audience. There were events where there were only a handful of supporters from the biathletes' home countries and television crew... And I think it's also a bad sign that we have not a single South Korean member here who advocates his bid.

Sorry if I sound like a bad competitive a**hole but you raised the issue, and obviously those are the facts about the passion of the Koreans for winter sports (besides short track and maybe also long track speed skating).

I'm surprised that CAF saw news coverage here in Germany about the Rio 2016 logo launch. I didn't notice anything (I didn't scrawl the web for it either, I have to admit).

Anyway:

Absolutely true. The 2009 Biathlon World Championships in Pyeongchang drew a lot of criticism by athletes and in the media for their lack of an audience. There were events where there were only a handful of supporters from the biathletes' home countries and television crew... And I think it's also a bad sign that we have not a single South Korean member here who advocates his bid.

Sorry if I sound like a bad competitive a**hole but you raised the issue, and obviously those are the facts about the passion of the Koreans for winter sports (besides short track and maybe also long track speed skating).

I'm totally agree with you .

There isn't passion for winter sport in Korea except for speed skating, I think their bid mustn't win, because athletes aren't take in consideration in this bid.

I didn't see any broadcast coverage of the RIO logo launch in the US, I had to go online and there I found a lot.

I thought South Korea was also figure skating CRAZY do to Kim Yu-Na?? I think she may be the most famous/admired person in Korea now.

make that....."due" to :rolleyes:

It was mentioned in the Tagesschau one time (resp. the one, which I watched) in connection of the new years eve celebration in Rio...

Here I am. I don't post as much as I did during the 2014 Games selection, but I'm still here. I'm trying not to get emotionally involved this time because part of me thinks the IOC will choose to go to Europe, yet again.

I'm totally agree with you .

There isn't passion for winter sport in Korea except for speed skating, I think their bid mustn't win, because athletes aren't take in consideration in this bid.

Winter Sports is a relatively new phenomenon for Korea. They hadn't won a medal prior to 1992... and in Vancouver ranked 5th overall. It's a new burgeoning enterprise.. and surely should be recognized for that.

As for limited Korean interest on THIS forum as mentioned above from Olympian 2004.... SERIOUSLY.. that's an argument? We all know the polls for community support is higher for PC than any other bid. The reality is that the Korean posters stick to links through the "Naver" (search portal site in Korea) than anywhere else... Support is NOT a weakness of the Korean bid.

As for limited Korean interest on THIS forum as mentioned above from Olympian 2004.... SERIOUSLY.. that's an argument? We all know the polls for community support is higher for PC than any other bid. The reality is that the Korean posters stick to links through the "Naver" (search portal site in Korea) than anywhere else... Support is NOT a weakness of the Korean bid.

Are you a Korean yourself by any chance?

If so: Yes, I find it remarkable that so far, you Koreans were so silent in this forum -- or didn't even seem to find it. I mean, this is not "just another forum" but one of the most important (and famous) websites about Olympic bids. And it even seems to be quite influential, since obviously IOC members or employees read here as well. It's not even difficult to find. You just have to search for "Olympic bids" in Google, and this site is already the top result.

And what does it help that you Koreans post to yourself on your own national websites? Most importantly, you have to sell your bid to an international audience -- because that is the one which finally votes on your bid and which would come to your Games in 2018. OK, the members who post here are no IOC members -- we can't vote on the bids in real life. But nevertheless, we're highly interested in the Korean perspective on the race for the 2018 Olympic Winter Games. And that perspective has been lacking so far on this board...

And I have to add: What value do opinion polls have if they don't materialise into audience participation? In that regard, the 2009 Biathlon World Championships in Pyeongchang were absolutely not a good advertisement for a Winter Olympic bid of the same community...

We want to feel the passion for your bid, and not only being told about it.