SOGs in the Former Eastern Bloc

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which Eastern European City is a likely future SOG host?

• Warsaw
    • Budapest
    • Bucharest
    • Sofia
    • Belgrade
    • Zagreb
    • Ljubjana
    • Tirana
    • Prague
    • Other (please specify)

After the posting earlier today from Rols re Bucharest perhaps a future Eastern European SOGs could be of interest for us mug punters as well as the IOC cognoscenti. Care to suggest where and why the IOC will go east of the Oder perhaps post-2020? (and yes, I know Prague is west of the Oder and Istanbul is partly on the European continent however this is pure speculation not a bloody geopolitical seminar :P )

Edited by eusebius65

I've long thought that when it comes to sporting tradition and Olympic heritage, Budapest is far and away the most deserving o0f the former East Bloc-ers. I suspect it's also probably, in terms of economic capability and existing infrastructure, the best equipped to do so as well. That said, I'd say it's a toss-up whether the next time it goes east it ends up in Mother Russia, or one of its former satellites.

Nevertheless, the Polish are errased two times from the European map in history, I think they have together with the Hungarians the best palmares. But in the last few deccades the Polish are sending more and are getting more athletes/medals than the Hungarians.

Maybe Warsaw is not so an interesting place but I think that the Polish have the sports legacy to organise a SOG. But bumping Beautiful Budapest and Pitoresque Prague (as privileged cities of their natural and historical beautiness) for a more static Warsaw is another issue. The Polish have organised a lot of sport organizations in the last 10 years from Basketball to Canoeing.

Maybe they have to organize at least an Atletics and Aquatics world championships to root their possible bid in the future. ;)

Best regards

fatih cielek

^^ Prague made a bid for 2016 and came 2nd last in the application evaluation for choosing the Candidate cities.

The main problem was the lack of an existing main stadium which they proposed to build one. I'm sure the post legacy idea of converting such a new stadium to a convention center post Paralympics didn't bode well with some of the IOC and such.

They acknowledged that this would be in preparation of a 2020 bid, but even now they've officially stated that they wouldn't bid.

I suggest you try and find a copy of their 2016 bid online, it was interesting, but the lack of a pre-existing main stadium really hurt them.

• 2 years later...

Nevertheless, the Polish are errased two times from the European map in history, I think they have together with the Hungarians the best palmares. But in the last few deccades the Polish are sending more and are getting more athletes/medals than the Hungarians.

Maybe Warsaw is not so an interesting place but I think that the Polish have the sports legacy to organise a SOG. But bumping Beautiful Budapest and Pitoresque Prague (as privileged cities of their natural and historical beautiness) for a more static Warsaw is another issue. The Polish have organised a lot of sport organizations in the last 10 years from Basketball to Canoeing.

Maybe they have to organize at least an Atletics and Aquatics world championships to root their possible bid in the future. wink.gif

Best regards

fatih cielek

London 2012

1 United States (USA) 46 29 29 104 2 China (CHN) 38 27 22 87 3 Great Britain (GBR)* 29 17 19 65 4 Russia (RUS) 24 25 33 82 5 South Korea (KOR) 13 8 7 28 6 Germany (GER) 11 19 14 44 7 France (FRA) 11 11 12 34 8 Italy (ITA) 8 9 11 28 9 Hungary (HUN) 8 4 5 17 10 Australia (AUS) 7 16 12 35

Barcelona 2013 FINA

All medals

Fed. Gold Silver Bronze Total USA 15 10 9 34 CHN 14 8 4 26 RUS 9 6 4 19 FRA 4 1 4 9 HUN 4 1 2 7 AUS 3 11 0 14 GER 3 3 4 10

I'd love it. But I think they've already decided the task is beyond them.

It's a true shame they were taken by the commies. It was once a city more beautiful than Paris, and now they can't even bid for the games. By grandmother visited the city after Eastern Europe collapsed and used what she saw to describe what communism does to a nation and city; from then on I hated communism and hope China and North Korea will soon be freed from it's grips.

It was once a city more beautiful than Paris, and now they can't even bid for the games

Still is. They had the good luck not to have been flattened in any of the 20th century wars. And since 1989, have well traded on their position as one of the most lovely and coolest cities in Europe.

; from then on I hated communism and hope China and North Korea will soon be freed from it's grips.

Again, from my travels in China, I've never got the impression of a population that is straining under the yoke of tyranny - more a society that is revelling in their growing dynamism, importance and prosperity. Shanghai is closer in feeling to Manhattan than to 1950s Omsk, or East Berlin (I travelled there while it was still the GDR, and I will agree with you there, it was grim). But then again, Chinese communism is communism in name only - they're more capitalist in reality than a lot of western democracies.

That said, Comrade, while I'm an old-style lefty, I'm not saying I approve of China's authoritarianism. I do think, though, their path to future liberalisation is better served by the west engaging with them more, and their middle class growing and discovering their power, rather than isolating and confronting them.

Edited by Sir Rols

Still is. They had the good luck not to have been flattened in any of the 20th century wars. And since 1989, have well traded on their position as one of the most lovely and coolest cities in Europe.

Again, from my travels in China, I've never got the impression of a population that is straining under the yoke of tyranny - more a society that is revelling in their growing dynamism, importance and prosperity. Shanghai is closer in feeling to Manhattan than to 1950s Omsk, or East Berlin (I travelled there while it was still the GDR, and I will agree with you there, it was grim). But then again, Chinese communism is communism in name only - they're more capitalist in reality than a lot of western democracies.

That said, Comrade, while I'm an old-style lefty, I'm not saying I approve of China's authoritarianism. I do think, though, their path to future liberalisation is better served by the west engaging with them more, and their middle class growing and discovering their power, rather than isolating and confronting them.

My dream is that China will use Communism as a way to reinvent the idea and some how become more of a democracy.