Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LuigiVercotti

Pearls of Wisdom from Sep

And right now like you I have every desire to see either Australia avoid hosting the crooks and thieves that make up MaFIFA until the whole rotten bunch is washed away, or simply just keep playing the game as fairly and as capably as we can and hopefully one day maybe winning the damn thing.

This.

The reality is, while hosting the event could do great things for the country, we don't need it. There is no point desperately pursuing the World Cup in the wake of the 2022 result, merely in protest. We can't simply put our head in the sand and pray something dramatic will change in FIFA if we were to bid in 2026, 2032 etc.

At the end of the day, I think the general public would be much more pleased with good results in Brazil and Russia, perhaps an Asian Cup or two and a stronger A-League.

I see no point in bending over backwards for a bunch of rotten crooks merely for a few months of reputation popping. On the surface, and when we dig deeper, the operation of FIFA and the process of awarding hosts goes against almost everything we believe in and stand for as a nation.

I almost feel we should wait for FIFA to come to us. There will be a point (though perhaps a long way in the future) where football will finally realise Australia and Oceania have been forgotten. I think Rio's 2016 bid played to this really well. Australia missed this opportunity in 2022.

And USA will get that in 2026 if we have the same rules. I mean why wouldn't the USA be begged to host in 2026? Who else would? Mexico? Canada? Only viable other option is Argentina. Unless Australia and NZ go the comibined route, which is very unlikely.

He's just a gift that keeps on giving:

Blatter launches bizarre rant about the Seventies at the FA

FIFA chief Sepp Blatter has accused the Football Association of attempting to “destroy” the world governing body.

Just weeks after he publicly sued for peace with FA chairman David Bernstein following the controversy surrounding his re-election, Blatter launched another assault on the English game.

In Rio last month, Blatter told Mirror Sport he had “connected” with Bernstein at a “very good and positive meeting” in Zurich and chastised Brazilian FA chief Ricardo Teixeira for his verbal attacks on the British game.

But he appears to have changed tack again, claiming English football was determined to bring down FIFA as “revenge” for the overthrow of Stanley Rous as president – in 1974.

Blatter, who has been savaged for the farce of the 2018 and 2022 World Cup host votes, failing to tackle corruption and his re-election after rival Mohammed Bin Hammam was booted out, said: “We have bad losers in FIFA. Also we have to say some of our actors and two of our key players (Bin Hammam and Jack Warner) have not behaved well.”

He added: “This animosity comes from England. All this has been an act of revenge for Sir Stanley Rous having lost the FIFA presidency in 1974 to Joao Havelange.”

Daily Mirror

Sepp Blatter says on-pitch racism can be resolved with handshake

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15757165.stm

Lots more criticism beside that in the article above. Kick It Out have called him "worryingly out of touch", lots of footballers on Twitter not happy, Stan Collymore leading a campaign asking for his resignation.