2020 Olympics short list

Triffle

For 2006, when Turin and Sion were shortlisted. There were 4 that didn't make the cut. Helsinki, Klagenfurt and a couple others. I don't know the details, I'm not sure exactly why Klagenfurt was cut. Austria usually pumps out good bids.

Klagenfurt offered venues near Salzburg (too far meant it was cut) SLovakia and Poland no way they were going to get short listed. Helsinki had half the venues in Norway so that wasn't gonna get shortlisted.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Klagenfurt was also proposing events be held in Slovenia N Italy, therefore making it a tri-national bid. So that didn't go over to well.

N technically, for 2006, there wasn't a "short-list". All 6 bids went to the 1999 IOC session in Seoul. But after evaluation, there was a "special college" brought forward, since this vote was the first one since the SLC scandal, n this college selected only Turin N Sion to be put on the final ballot.

Perhaps the IOC got serious in the 2008 process, i still think there (2006) Sion was obviously the right choice!! Klagenfurt wasnt so serious... Popard-Tarty was a longshot and Helsinki naaa!! Finland isn't too appropiate to host WOG is too flat :P

Archived