2020 Olympics short list

Triffle

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I think Kuala Lumpur is one of the more likely surprise bidders since the Malaysians have been planning this for years.

It'd be a pleasant surprise if KL through their hat in again. Depending on whether PC gets 2018, it could be good timing for Asia (despite not being an "8" year), and really Japan's the only one anyone's expecting yet.

There's boud to be a "Stan" who'll crep out of the woodwork, though.

THe reports I've read though, states that the Maylasian governments has abadoned plans to a 2020 bid due to the massive expense it would take to stage the Games & their low medal tally at the Olympics. I wouldn't give KL much (geopolitical) chance, anyway.

Nor scorching heat in the Arabian gulf!! I mean Lawrence of Arabia had to wear all those robes!!

yeap:)

if they host... it wıll be the first time to have a summer games in winter time at northern hemisphere...

or till that time those guys can find a way to cool down all the country by a giant wind bloower attached to burj dubai... could be...?

like abba says

money money money. must be funny in the rich mans world

I also think the Middle East won't be hosting soon, but who knows? Money, money, money... :lol: I liked that!

And regarding Istanbul, the IOC considers Turkey (the whole Turkey) as part of Europe. Well, IMO, if Istanbul continues selling itself as the place where East meets West, an Istanbul Games would leave the rotation door clearly open for North America.

• 1 year later...

Just reading a piece on the 2020 field now the applicant reports are in from Sports Illustrated - VERY interesting comment from Heiberg:

Stakes are rising in race to host 2020 Olympic Games

Now that the Italian government has pulled the plug at the last minute on Rome's Olympic bid, five remaining candidate cities must prove that they have the financial and political muscle to win the high-stakes race for the 2020 Games.

Italian Premier Mario Monti's refusal to provide financial support for Rome's bid Tuesday ended the Eternal City's hopes of bringing the Olympics back to the capital for the first time since 1960.

Monti said it would be an irresponsible use of taxpayers' money to fund the $12.5 billion Olympic project. Rome was the first city to declare its 2020 candidacy a year ago but, without the necessary financial guarantees, the effort came to a sudden halt a day before the deadline for submission of bid files.

Among other things, the International Olympic Committee requires bid cities to provide guarantees that their governments will cover any deficit.

"We have to insist on these guarantees," IOC executive board member and finance commission chairman Richard Carrion told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "It's prudent from our point of view to insist on the support of governments.

"Obviously, for the remaining cities they have one less competitor to worry about. Rome would have been a formidable competitor."

Five cities are left in the running: Madrid, Tokyo, Istanbul, Doha, and Baku, Azerbaijan.

The IOC will review the files before the executive board decides in May whether to accept all five cities or pare the field. With six contenders, the IOC would likely have cut at least one. With five, the IOC could keep them all.

"I don't think all of them will go to the final, maybe only three, maybe four," IOC marketing commission chairman Gerhard Heiberg told the AP.

more at: SI.com

when was that?

For 2006, when Turin and Sion were shortlisted. There were 4 that didn't make the cut. Helsinki, Klagenfurt and a couple others. I don't know the details, I'm not sure exactly why Klagenfurt was cut. Austria usually pumps out good bids.

For 2006, when Turin and Sion were shortlisted. There were 4 that didn't make the cut. Helsinki, Klagenfurt and a couple others. I don't know the details, I'm not sure exactly why Klagenfurt was cut. Austria usually pumps out good bids.

Well this is interesting,,, both Sion and Klagenfurt have populations of less than 100'000 and they were in an Olympic bidding process ? And one was shortlisted and had a chance of winning !!? Wow,.

Yeah, not the most competitive cities for the 2006 Games.

Turin, Italy

Sion, Switzerland

Helsinki, Finand

Klagenfurt, Austria

Poprad-Tatry, Slovakia

Zakopane, Poland

Istanbul was shortlisted before, and they will be shortlisted again. To me, it is really between Doha and Baku making the shortlist, buy I think it is more likely that Baku will be the only city cut.

Archived