Rio 2016 Paralympic Games

The Rio logo stirs nothing in me.

The London logo is fantastic.

Big Ben is incredible but I don't want to wear it as a hat.

Hat to break it to you but no symbol says "London" like Big Ben... it is recognized instantly around the world... the current 2012 logo... would be unrecognied by most people around the world right now... and it says nothing about London... it is meaningless drivel... hell, this would be a huge improvement:

RVoysey_London2012.jpg

At least it is easy on the eyes... and was vastly more popular than the real logo.. and has the element of being clever.. :D

You can find shapes very similar to both Rio logos in any vector stock library. They are both nice, thats all I can say. They know how to have a lunch though dont they, If only London was doing the same rather than its low key launches.

What you mean London's poorly botched gamesMakers uniform photo shoot versus a photo of a blind woman weeping while feeling up the Rio Paralympic 'sculpture'? Yeah... you can't buy that kind of a moment... I don't get what LOCOG is thinking sometimes... I have no experience whatsoever in event organizing yet can easily point out some of their problems... don't they have anyone on their paid staff who can do the same? 5 1/2 years out and Rio seems to be rolling along ahead of where London was at this point without the PR disasters...

The London logo brands the event - its ethos and its vibe - not the city. It doesn' say London or the UK because it's not designed to. It's not like the designers tried to portray London and failed to, so perhaps you're criticising the brief more than the finished logo. It's kind of boring when you get Olympic logos that look like tourism logos in my opinion anyway.

And London's hardly the first to take this approach either. Munich '72's logo is a design classic yet says nothing about Munich as far as I can tell. It does say everything about the era and the modernism those Games aspired to. In that sense, it's far more exciting than the Sydney or Vancouver logos, because it hones in on a point in time, rather than giving us drawings of local landmarks in the shape of athletes.

Everyone knows about Big Ben and London as a city, I'm not debating it is instantly recognisable obviously. But LOCOG isn't trying to market the city, one of the most visited in the world which hardly needs marketing given the eyes of the world will be on it next year. It's trying to market the 2012 Games.

Now I'm sure you probably think the logo has failed in this regard, fair enough. But to criticise it for failing to portray London is missing the point of it.

Edited by RobH

What you mean London's poorly botched gamesMakers uniform photo shoot versus a photo of a blind woman weeping while feeling up the Rio Paralympic 'sculpture'? Yeah... you can't buy that kind of a moment... I don't get what LOCOG is thinking sometimes... I have no experience whatsoever in event organizing

London didn't botch its Gamesmaker uniforms photoshoot and it wasn't an "event". It was purely for the press, and the next day there were good photos in all the papers, exactly what LOCOG wanted.

London didn't botch its Gamesmaker uniforms photoshoot and it wasn't an "event". It was purely for the press, and the next day there were good photos in all the papers, exactly what LOCOG wanted.

... LOL Nice attempt to quote out of context :lol: :lol: :lol:

and it was botched, there's an entire thread on the problems with it on the London 2012 forum... ;)

I was actually criticising the shitty photos some journos took on their iphones that appeared on Twitter, not the real press photos or the organisation of the press photoshoot itself which I'm sure was fine. It was low-key but it wasn't an event so "I'm not an event organiser but..." is an odd thing to say. It certainly wasn't "botched".

I was actually criticising the shitty photos some journos took on their iphones that appeared on Twitter, not the real press photos or the organisation of the press photoshoot itself which I'm sure was fine. It was low-key but it wasn't an event so "I'm not an event organiser but..." is an odd thing to say. It certainly wasn't "botched".

Wow... how can I break this down for you... :blink: The 'event' was not the photo shoot itself but the public release of the images... which should have been an 'event' but was a literal 'non-event'. Usually the volunteer uniforms are revealed to the public in a press session with live models to show off their flashy new garb as opposed to just releasing some rather poorly shot digital still images (poorly by professional photographic standards). There were image quality issues, lens glare, reflections in glasses, ill-fitted pant lengths and improperly sized jackets, etc... One would think that if you are only using about a half-dozen models for this that at least the uniforms they are to model would either fit properly or be pinned and clipped to give the illusion of fitting properly for the photo shoot... Same amateur issues with a number of phot quality issues in the images released to the media... Does that explanation make it as clear as possible? :wacko:

• Like 1

I can't say I noticed the problems when I saw the photos and I doubt anyone else did beside a few perfectionists on this Olympic forum. :D So, to my mind it wasn't botched. It was low-key, sure, and perhaps there were quality issues with a couple of the photos (now you point them out), but that's hardly "botched" to my mind, you're making mountains out of molehills methinks.

The press got their photos and they were in the papers the next day, and apart from a few I doubt anyone would notice a bit of lens flare or whatever.

Edited by RobH

Apart from a few people on the Internet and the circle of LOCOG and Olympic people nobody cares about Games maker uniforms.

Most people on the street probably didn't even know people who work at the Games wear a uniform.

But going back to the logo, both of Rio's are nice. That's all pretty much people are saying though.

• Like 1

I've never been a huge lover of London's Oly logo, but have got used to it (and have seen some good applications). But at least it's a logo, and it's original. That Big Ben NBC thing is best suited to a pretty average and boring pin. It might scream "London" like a brick over the head, but there's nothing really memorable about it. You can't really compare the two, apples and oranges.

Anyway, after a page and more on London, back to Rio's para logo ... and as a fan of the main Rio logo, nice to see it's a matching pair. Well done Rio - probably the best of the paralympics ones IMO.

• Like 1

I instantly recognized a heart as the logo, and tought it was something related with passion. They obviously wanted to follow the model of the olympic one with the infinite loop and 3D look. Not a bad logo :) (anything is better than London logo)

Although I think it was somewhat lazy that they used the same music for both of the unveiling videos, even of this one was without vocals.

I instantly recognized a heart as the logo, and tought it was something related with passion. They obviously wanted to follow the model of the olympic one with the infinite loop and 3D look. Not a bad logo :) (anything is better than London logo)

Although I think it was somewhat lazy that they used the same music for both of the unveiling videos, even of this one was without vocals.

The music is a variant. For Brazil this means much. Very organized thematic over a brand.