Rio 2016 - Olympic Village

Só agora, Oooswald disse:

Um porta-voz do Comitê Rio 2016 afirmou that Uma Equipe de 500 PESSOAS ESTÁ Trabalhando parágrafo Corrigir Problemas cessos. Espera-se Que Tudo Vai Ficar Bem Até A Próxima quarta-feira.

O prefeito de Rio deu ESSE MESMO tipo de declaração e não fez última ESSA piada Estranho Porque ELE sempre fala demais.

Mayor of Rio was very unhappy !

Eduardo Paes and Dilma Rousseff compete in the ability to speak.

-
This idea of leaving 500 people working in the village as there athletes there is complicated.

For security reasons , I hope you're prepared . It is necessary that only the right people from entering the village .

The Rio de Janeiro should not play with security.

The US delegation put out a tactful statement saying something like:

We have encountered similar issues that are common in other Olympic villages and trust the local organizing committee will address the issues in a timely manner...blah blah blah..

Guess the USA is having the same issues but didn't want to piss off the mayor and be targeted with rude Kangaroo comments.

• Like 1

I do not doubt that by the end of the day a stock of plastic kangaroos for Australians , the kiwi for New Zealanders and Queen for the British and the Statue of Liberty for Americans to be delivered in the Village.

The mayor was unhappy in the comments. We need to respect the nations of the world.

" We do not need kangaroos , we need plumbers to account for the many lakes found in the apartments ," Mike TANCRED, Director of Communications for the Australian Olympic Committee.

He told Folha on Sunday afternoon the communications director for the Australian Olympic Committee , Mike Tancred . The statement was in response to the mayor of Rio de Janeiro , Eduardo Paes (photo) , who had earlier stated that he was thinking of putting a kangaroo in front of the Australian building in the Olympic Village so that they feel at home .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brasilolimpico said:

The mayor was unhappy in the comments. We need to respect the nations of the world.

I agree that was a unhappy comment but I also understand. It's normal if in some of the 3600 apartments a problem may occur. It's a new construction. The athletes have stated that these problems have occurred in other villages. It's a very simple problem. She could have just ordered the repairs and the problem would be solved, but instead she preferred to speak to the press that the village is uninhabitable and would refuse to stay there. This also does not seem very respectful.

• Like 3

When sewage comes up the drain in ones shower what kind of person would you expect to stay there......so off to hotels and additional expense and hassle they went. Very disruptive to the delegations who were told the village was ready. 

Perhaps the mayor is used to attacking critics but this is a guest who was invited. Maybe it would be nice for him if she kept her frustrations secret like the USA delegation has, but he makes it much worse by attacking a guest in his house. He has shown his colors and they reflect on Rio. 

• Like 1

The statements of Kitty Chiller changed a little today:

"Seeing the progress that has been made this morning, I am very confident that we will be ready to enter the Olympic Village on Wednesday."

"Apart from these problems, the village, in my experience of previous years, is one of the best I've been."

http://globoesporte.globo.com/olimpiadas/noticia/2016/07/apos-criticas-australia-ve-progresso-na-vila-e-preve-ocupar-predio-na-quarta.html

@Paul, the problem is water leak, not sewage.

• Like 2

Let's say the whole Paes' staement here. He said: "We are here to welcome visitors. Adjustments have to be made and will be made, and we will have all the appropriate structure. As hosts, what we want is that everyone feels at home. Brazil has this thing of welcoming and welcome, but it is lot of many people moving at the same time. It is natural that you have some kind of adjustment to do, but we will make Australians feel at home here. I'm almost putting a kangaroo in front to jump in front of them "

Source: http://olimpiadas.uol.com.br/album/2016/07/24/forcas-armadas-chegam-ao-rio-de-janeiro-neste-domingo-24.htm#foto=1

Besides, there are some people here that are declaring the games death on day one of Athletes Village. It's important to say that the problems are normal to any new apartment/house, at any country in the world. They're not saying that the village is not ready. They're saying that they have problems with eletricity and toilets. London had it problems on day one also did Sochi, Athens and all the cities that had hosted the games. The fact is that Australia's chef de mission exaggerated and disqualified the village. Then she said she had seen progress but there was huge damage caused by what she has said just before

Every Olympics have it problems, it won't be different in Rio. I mean, the media treatment for the problems, after all, Brazil is not in Europe. 

• Like 1

"I almost feel like putting a kangaroo in front of their building to make them feel at home," the city's mayor, Eduardo Paes, quipped on Sunday (NZT Monday), less than two weeks out from the Olympic Games' opening ceremony.

1469398328814.jpg

"For over a week now AOC staff have been working long hours to get our section of the village ready for our athletes," Chiller said.

"Problems include blocked toilets, leaking pipes, exposed wiring, darkened stairwells where no lighting has been installed and dirty floors in need of a massive clean.

"In operations areas water has come through the ceiling resulting in large puddles on the floor around cabling and wiring.

"We decided to do a 'stress test' where taps and toilets were simultaneously turned on in apartments on several floors to see if the system could cope once the athletes are in-house.

"The system failed. Water came down walls, there was a strong smell of gas in some apartments and there was 'shorting' in the electrical wiring."

Australian officials were forced to scramble to find alternative hotel accommodation for the first Australian athletes - boxers and canoeists - who were scheduled to move into the village Sunday, local time.

1469398328814.jpg

Rio de Janeiro mayor offers a kangaroo to appease Australian Olympic village concerns1469398328814.jpg

I guess that's the state of the "kitchen" in some apartments, no time to finish the cabinets etc just get 'er open!

These are very small spaces to be selling as luxury apartments after the games?!

Edited by paul

5 hours ago, paul said:

The US delegation put out a tactful statement saying something like:

We have encountered similar issues that are common in other Olympic villages and trust the local organizing committee will address the issues in a timely manner...blah blah blah..

Guess the USA is having the same issues but didn't want to piss off the mayor and be targeted with rude Kangaroo comments.

It is politeness.

50 minutes ago, paul said:

1469398328814.jpg

I guess that's the state of the "kitchen" in some apartments, no time to finish the cabinets etc just get 'er open!

These are very small spaces to be selling as luxury apartments after the games?!

It's odd that they would install "kitchen" fixtures when I know that even in the new units that were made for Atlanta 1996 (and would become dorms afterwards), kitchen fixtures (like sinks, cabinets) are NOT installed until after the Games.  What do the athletes need kitchen facilities for when there is a 24/7 cafeteria for all Village residents?  And in some places, they placed another bed in what would be the "kitchen" area since it didn't have fixtures or appliances.   That must be an efficiency and it looks like there is a one-bedroom that goes with that.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I was about to say, it's the biggest, grandest Village yet -- but Rio 2016 did not leave themselves enough time to kick their own tires and give it a once-go-over.  That's what happens when everything is left until the last minute -- no time to fix glitches.  And then having to accredit repairmen who shoudn't be in the Village as the teams check in.  Ay-yay-yay.  

^^^ This.

This is no Delhi situation, but it is the perfect example of how the attitude we've heard for the past seven years - "it's the Brazilian way to leave it all to the last minute" - can come back to bite them. I'm certainly confident it all will be fixed and hunky dory quickly now, but it's a bad headline that could have ben avoided if they'd even have had just an extra week to  fix all the inevitable last minute glitches. It's true, all games have their glitches in the immediate run-up, but this one was just so avoidable. 

I'm sure we'll be bringing enough Boxing Kangaroos of our own to keep us happy.

Edited by Sir Rols

34 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

^^^ This.

This is no Delhi situation, but it is the perfect example of how the attitude we've heard for the past seven years - "it's the Brazilian way to leave it all to the last minute" - can come back to bite them. I'm certainly confident it all will be fixed and hunky dory quickly now, but it's a bad headline that could have ben avoided if they'd even have had just an extra week to  fix all the inevitable last minute glitches. It's true, all games have their glitches in the immediate run-up, but this one was just so avoidable. 

I'm sure we'll be bringing enough Boxing Kangaroos of our own to keep us happy.

Not just the brazilian way, but the Latin American way overall. We have a very bad tendency of doing everything at last minute. Case in point, when we hosted the 1983 Pan Am Games, it nearly ended on disaster because of the delays and our village situation was much worse (the american team opted to reside in hotels due to the bad conditions of it).

51 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

It's odd that they would install "kitchen" fixtures when I know that even in the new units that were made for Atlanta 1996 (and would become dorms afterwards), kitchen fixtures (like sinks, cabinets) are NOT installed until after the Games.  What do the athletes need kitchen facilities for when there is a 24/7 cafeteria for all Village residents?  And in some places, they placed another bed in what would be the "kitchen" area since it didn't have fixtures or appliances.   That must be an efficiency and it looks like there is a one-bedroom that goes with that.  

Funny that you mention it. Coincidentally i was browsing these days pictures of the Georgia Tech dorms (the former Atlanta '96 olympic village). Those still seem to be in good condition and widely used.

133c17086898c970f520b898a9ebce91.jpg

Bldg-1516-room.jpg?itok=ucab0IXV

• Like 1

It seems that the speech of the mayor was misunderstood. I don't see as disrespect anymore:

"We will make Australians feel at home . I'm almost putting a kangaroo here in front to jump in front of them here. But the complaints are legitimate. They made great Games in Sydney and we will return this reception to them"

8 minutes ago, Bezzi said:

It seems that the speech of the mayor was misunderstood. I don't see as disrespect anymore:

"We will make Australians feel at home . I'm almost putting a kangaroo here in front to jump in front of them here. But the complaints are legitimate. They made great Games in Sydney and we will return this reception to them"

Well, that makes things different. That's exactly the response he should have said. The way it had been reported earlier, here and elsewhere, made him sound stupid and defensive.

I just said that. You have to see all his speech. They're getting only one phrase and taking from the context. The media wil criticize Rio Olympics every time until August 6th. After the opening ceremony they will probably stop criticizing. I saw this film two years ago on the FIFA World Cup. This is not a problem from Rio, it happens every time a south country hosts some important event. Unfortunately, this is the truth.